So far I've made two threads about this. Right now I'm leaning to Fender Hot Noiseless pickups, but playing with a Roadworn 50's strat has me looking at the Tex Mex pickups again. Basically I want a set that's powerful, has a nice, clear low-end even with higher distortions, but can get a nice crunchy tone with just overdrive and have a nice strat-ish tone rather than a mini-humbucker sound if it's noiseless. Again, currently it's between Hot Noiseless and Tex Mex pickups, but I wanted UG's thoughts.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but you could always mix and match pickups from both sets? If not, I think I would go for the Hot Noiseless pickups, if it has to be between the two. Good luck!
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by necrosis1193
So far I've made two threads about this. Right now I'm leaning to Fender Hot Noiseless pickups, but playing with a Roadworn 50's strat has me looking at the Tex Mex pickups again. Basically I want a set that's powerful, has a nice, clear low-end even with higher distortions, but can get a nice crunchy tone with just overdrive and have a nice strat-ish tone rather than a mini-humbucker sound if it's noiseless. Again, currently it's between Hot Noiseless and Tex Mex pickups, but I wanted UG's thoughts.

sounds like you have a strat maybe? for me, i play fender cuz i like fender's tone. i got pickups that made my fender sound even more like a fender. i don't see making a fender into a 'higher distortion' machine with clear low end and nice crunchy tone as being true to a fender. kinda like trying to make a cadillac drive like a lotus? if you want handling why didn't you just go with a lotus? same deal here, if you want more saturated distortion and more stable low end, then why didn't you go with a guitar with humbuckers that give more distortion, and also why didn't you go with a guitar whose body wood facilitates more low end?

now, these goals are acheivable mind you, but for the better total result either a gibson or a epiphone would have most likely made you more happy. now you should of looked at fender if you wanted attitude and twang and a nice cut in the mix with a distorted sound that is closer to 'breakup' than 'saturation'. it just seems like making something work rather than optimizing the whole design.

that being said, if you are working toward the goals listed above, i would actually avoid fender pickups altogether. they'll sound too 'fendery' for the end results. i would look more into stacked humbucker pickups, i would favor ceramics ones if you want a 'clear' sound that hold low end well, the alnico magnets sound more 'musical' but also can get more mushy at times. i also feel fender's 'noiseless' pickups suck quite a but of tone, well more like they are a 'fascimile' of guitar tone rather than guitar tone itself.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Rogue Hermit
I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but you could always mix and match pickups from both sets? If not, I think I would go for the Hot Noiseless pickups, if it has to be between the two. Good luck!

I would do that, but I'm also intending to purchase a new computer, a Celestion Vintage 30 for my amp, and a set of two Shure SM57's, I can't afford two sets of pickups.

Quote by gumbilicious
sounds like you have a strat maybe?

Correct.

for me, i play fender cuz i like fender's tone. i got pickups that made my fender sound even more like a fender. i don't see making a fender into a 'higher distortion' machine with clear low end and nice crunchy tone as being true to a fender. kinda like trying to make a cadillac drive like a lotus? if you want handling why didn't you just go with a lotus?

Erm, actually, I'm just looking for a nice, articulate tone like a single-coil is famous for, even when distorted, so erm, still Fendery, just different flavour.

same deal here, if you want more saturated distortion and more stable low end, then why didn't you go with a guitar with humbuckers that give more distortion,

Actually, I have a humbucker guitar too, I'm looking for something to make my strat, which I truly love, clearer on higher-gain.

and also why didn't you go with a guitar whose body wood facilitates more low end?

Well, alder and ash, the main woods of Fender guitars, both have pretty good low-end response. Based on my friend who swapped the pickups in her MIM strat for a set of Texas Specials last Tuesday, it's the fact I'm using the stock pickups of my Mexican Standard strat, not the wood, though I am a believer that guitar wood has a large effect on tone.

now, these goals are acheivable mind you, but for the better total result either a gibson or a epiphone would have most likely made you more happy.

Not really. I tried at least a dozen different Gibson and Epihpone 335's and Les Pauls, the strat really is the kind of guitar that sings to me except the occasional gem of a 335, and even then not only can I not afford it, but it doesn't get the same type of tone my strat does, it's a different sound I love about as much.

now you should of looked at fender if you wanted attitude and twang and a nice cut in the mix with a distorted sound that is closer to 'breakup' than 'saturation'.

...That is what I want. Just without mention of the low-end clarity that I've heard on many other strats.

that being said, if you are working toward the goals listed above, i would actually avoid fender pickups altogether. they'll sound too 'fendery' for the end results. i would look more into stacked humbucker pickups, i would favor ceramics ones if you want a 'clear' sound that hold low end well, the alnico magnets sound more 'musical' but also can get more mushy at times. i also feel fender's 'noiseless' pickups suck quite a but of tone, well more like they are a 'fascimile' of guitar tone rather than guitar tone itself.

Hmm...well, I was looking at Lace Hot Gold Sensors, what do you think of those?

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193

Hmm...well, I was looking at Lace Hot Gold Sensors, what do you think of those?

This = win. This is a video of a guy I know playing his hot rodded strat with Lace Sensors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6WM7ir0Qm8
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
This = win. This is a video of a guy I know playing his hot rodded strat with Lace Sensors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6WM7ir0Qm8

...That has to be some of the best tone I've heard from an unsigned artist on youtube, I'm sold.

i am not a big fan of lace sensors in general, though it doesn't mean they aren't a good pickup. lots of good musicians use them. i went through a time where i tried many different pickups, from emg's to lace sensors and even tried guitars with odd ball pups like gretch. what i found is that the pickups that said they had improved tone over a conventional pup(like active, or rare earth magnet pups) weren't really that appealing to me. they claimed quieter operation, more sustain, truer tone. i found i prefer the imperfections of standard alnico/ceramic pups. i think our tastes are too different for me to offer effective advice.

eventually when i got my strat and wanted a pup upgrade i went with suhr pickups, very conventional, but then again i really like a normal strat tone. and it doesn't get more 'straty' than a handwound alnico pup made to 60's or 50's spec.

sorry i couldn't be of better help, good luck

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 30, 2009,
Well, I've been listening to a lot of Rory Gallagher lately, so a 60's-voiced set would be a delight to me, what about a set of 57/62's?

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 31, 2009,
probably aren't handwired, that was a big stipulation with me, mainly cuz that was what the originals were. mainly i went away from fender on this front because fender charges you too much(imo) for something they call spec, but it still isn't. if those pickups were handwound, then they would mention that. and they would also be custom shop. so while they are reversed engineered, the weren't made to the original spec. there is this dude named 'fralin'? lindsey fralin? he is the god of strat pickups. if you really wanted something super badass, then find that dude. want to say he lives in richmond, va. he is the guy people go to when replacing pickups on real 60's or 50's strats, and they want to keep to tone as real as possible.

-ae
If you're looking for vintage style pickups, go with Suhr FL Standards, a custom Duncan set, like suggested Fralin or maybe Lollar or DeTemple.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs