Has anybody here ever heard of/played an Electra Phoenix? Especially an X-150?

I picked one up, about a year ago, for $100 on craigslist. After doing some research, i found out they sold for about $400 in 1980, which equates to roughly $1000 today. Great tone, fast neck (although the fool who had it before me tried to scallop the frets himself, and evidently gave up, so the first 10 frets are scalloped, and the rest arent, but eh, it still plays fine).

Just wondering if anybody else had ever played once, the search bar turns up nothing related to them. If you ever see one for sale, i would definitely check it out, really great guitars =D

Heres a little article if anybody is interested. http://www.rivercityamps.com/electrapage/comments.php?y=08&m=01&entry=entry080123-111504

Edit: Here's a halfway decent picture of mine. The wood looks much nicer in person, nice rich colors, but this atleast gives you an idea.
Last edited by RITZ7 at Aug 29, 2009,
Just curious; Did you find it to play nice before, or after you made your little inflation-calculation?

And to answer your question, I have never heard of the brand, let alone play one.
Hah, valid question =P

i actually just did that calculation before i posted, I never really looked into them before, and I've had the guitar for about a year. Its really the only one I play anymore, so yeah I liked it long before i knew what it was worth =P
Quote by RITZ7
Hah, valid question =P

i actually just did that calculation before i posted, I never really looked into them before, and I've had the guitar for about a year. Its really the only one I play anymore, so yeah I liked it long before i knew what it was worth =P

Ah ok. They might actually be good guitars then.

The thing is, I've spoken to more guys in a situation like this, and most only manage to appreciate 'the guitar' after they've been told what it is and if it's, for example, rare or expensive. If you loved it before you knew anything about it, more power to ya.

Ya know, rereading my post, it did sorta come off as a 'woah check out my expensive guitar' sorta thing. I really wanted it to be more of a 'Check these things out, theyre great!' sort of thing

Ah well, I don't think there are too many around, so I dunno if anybody is gonna be here to talk about them anyway

That thing is sexy. No lie. I want one.

I'd see if you could find another neck for it. Unless you don't mind the half scalloped-ness of it.
If you're interested, ill try to take another picture, i don't really think that one does it justice. Mines got some battle wounds but it still looks pretty nice.

I've tossed around the idea of a new neck, but honestly it doesn't really bother me. Some of the frets are getting a bit worn though, so when those get too bad, maybe replacing the neck will be the way to go
Electra guitars are pretty great. Probably on par with the other top Japanese guitars from the 70's and 80's. One of the best kept secrets in used guitars.
I've never played a scalloped neck before, but I really want to give it a try.

And for you all know, that half fretted neck could become the new awesome thing in guitars, like how electric basses have the fretted/fretless bass. Which is pretty badass to me.

Of course, I'd probably think the scalloped half would start at the 10th fret and go to the end.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Aug 29, 2009,
hah, perhaps this man i've dubbed 'the fool' is actually a genius innovator Yeah i think the scallops would probably make more sense on the higher frets.

As far as playing one, I hadnt either, and even though this was a very rough sort of attempt at it, I gotta say I enjoy it. Gotta be careful at times, because if you fret too hard, you can bend the notes out of tune. Aside from that, it really allows for some nice sounding vibrato and bends. Next time you see one at the store with scalloped frets, plug it in and mess around, i bet you'll like it
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I've never played a scalloped neck before, but I really want to give it a try.

And for you all know, that half fretted neck could become the new awesome thing in guitars, like the fretted/fretless bass. Which is pretty badass to me.

Of course, I'd probably think the scalloped half would start at the 10th fret and go to the end.

There's quite a difference between a half fretless neck and a neck with half of the frets scalloped.
I had a few Electra MPCs back in the day. They were not bad but the ones I got later had a lot of electronics problems. I just recently checked out an Electra LP copy but they just wanted too much for it and wouldn't come down on their price. They had a handful of extra effects modules for it as well. To tell you the truth the only Electra I ever came across were the LP copies.

John
i have an electra phoenix, it's pretty nice. just a bit rough as far as hardware/electronics at the moment. gonna fix her up nice as soon as i get the money. i've played alot of newer guitars at varying price ranges but i prefer the electra. now i'm scoping ebay and what not to get another one.
Do not try and elevate an Electra guitar with something it is not. They were at best middle of the road guitars. My first guitar was an Electra it worked that is it.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I have an Electra Phoenix -- I'm trying to figure out what model it is. Anybody know how I can look it up by serial number or whatever?