How do I play other peoples songs by ear?
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Ok let me rephrase that.

If I get the guitar chords for the song, how do I just take the appropiate scale and find the notes that fit the song?

(\__/)
If you have the chords, don't worry too much about the key, unless you want to stick in fills or solos.

Guitar and Bass are both C instruments so most of the time playing C notes over a C chord will work (for example). You should also look into triads (ie, triad of C is C-E-G) and box shapes (slightly more complex, but still easily mastered.)

Using triads and box shapes should help build you a solid repertoire of notes to work with.

Obviously, in the end a complete understanding of the piece will come from knowing the key and assosciated scales, but the above is a good starting point.

Hope I helped, cheers.
Last edited by Fraztastick at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by Fraztastick
If you have the chords, don't worry too much about the key, unless you want to stick in fills or solos.

Guitar and Bass are both C instruments so most of the time playing C notes over a C chord will work (for example). You should also look into triads (ie, triad of C is C-E-G) and box shapes (slightly more complex, but still easily mastered.)

Using triads and box shapes should help build you a solid repertoire of notes to work with.

Obviously, in the end a complete understanding of the piece will come from knowing the key and assosciated scales, but the above is a good starting point.

Hope I helped, cheers.

Made sense thanks alot!!!!!

(\__/)
Quote by Fraztastick
No worries man, PM if you want the box shape elaborated on a bit more.

I know about the box shape pretty well, I just didn't know how to put it to use.

Thanks again!!

(\__/)
Just construct the notes in the box shapes into some kind of pattern (whatever you think sounds good.)

For example, use the C box shape C, G, Bb to create a little riff. In theory this should then sound good when played against a C chord. This is a very uniform way of doing things, but pretty safe as well.

Hump De Bump by the RHCP has a good bassline that has very obvious use of box shapes if you need an example to listen to. (To mention one of many.)
Quote by Fraztastick
Just construct the notes in the box shapes into some kind of pattern (whatever you think sounds good.)

For example, use the C box shape C, G, Bb to create a little riff. In theory this should then sound good when played against a C chord. This is a very uniform way of doing things, but pretty safe as well.

Hump De Bump by the RHCP has a good bassline that has very obvious use of box shapes if you need an example to listen to. (To mention one of many.)

I'll have to listen to that song today (pretty glad you recomended a RHCP song, I like them alot).

(\__/)
yeah but good luck with playing Hump De Bump. it sounds like 123349568234986123rd notes he's playing.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees