Alright I'm learning miss american pie and I looked up chords and listen to the song and they don't match at all???? Maybe I just don't know how they work... but it'll say like G D G C but there will be like eight chords played??
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers
'91 Stratocaster, MIM....

Line Six Flextone II 60 watt amp
Or maybe the chord sheet is just incredibly bad.
Check the score it got, if it's not 4/5*, its probably all wrong.
If it is, then I'm afraid it's you :P
"Beef, wtf?"
"Like cow, but with sauce"
well i dunno they have good scores.......
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers

This is a good question that hasn't really been answered yet.

Are these chord tabs just for folks to strum along while other people are playing the real song (like you'd find in a regular tab)?

Otherwise it seems really lazy to just post chords and let everyone else "figure out the rhythm". WTF,O?
I tend to look up songs being covered on youtube when I think that the tab is wrong. So many "Ohhhhh - THAT'S how they play it!" moments on youtube.
Jackson PDX Demmelition w/ EMG 81/85
Vintage Lemon Drop w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Dean Z Bubinga w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Blackstar HT-5 combo
yeah! they just aren't right! At all? They play twice as many...

Maybe they just put them for the chord change? like this

G B D
instead of
G G G G B B B B D D D D

whenever you see a new chord name is when you change it. if they have the lyrics usually they put the letter above the word where the chord changes in the song
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
So basically it's a lazy form of notation. And doesn't even try to keep up with single notes, vibrato, dives, bends, or anything beyond a basic harmony.

Why bother?
So basically it's a lazy form of notation. And doesn't even try to keep up with single notes, vibrato, dives, bends, or anything beyond a basic harmony.

Why bother?

Personally I find this kind of notation VERY useful. If you want to learn a song to perform with a band, just learning the chords usually isn't enough (so use tabs). But when I'm at home with my acoustic guitar I can just look up the chords to a song and instantly strum and sing along. For that kind of purpose any extra notation just gets in the way and complicates things.
^^^Thanks, shortyafter. Finally an answer to this question. I suspected it wasn't just a total waste of time.

Cheers...
The only reason most people dislike chord scores is because alot of people that pretend to be guitar players are young teenagers who don't even know your basic chords so they don't know how to read them so just use tabs..

seems a bit far-fetched.. but sadly enough it's true..
Quote by TechnicolorType
The only reason most people dislike chord scores is because alot of people that pretend to be guitar players are young teenagers who don't even know your basic chords so they don't know how to read them so just use tabs..

ehh, I would say there's more to it than that, a lot of people aren't good at building up songs from lead sheets, and chord charts don't even contain as much as lead sheets do. It can be pretty confusing for people that are just getting into playing if they don't know how that sort of thing works.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by TechnicolorType

I grimaced when I read your post..
I am a self taught guitarist..The irony is that I played lead in a Necrophagist cover band and I still have very little knowledge of even basic chords.
I haven't been a teen for about half my life, but I hate chord tabs.

Sure, if I don't know the actual chord, I can pull out my book, but then there are so many different voicings of the chord--which one should it be?

Also they don't indicate the rhythm. Thats fine for something like the melody of Norwegian Wood or Ealanor Rigby, but it doesn't do much for any song off Death Magnetic.

If you're expert enough to "figure out" the rhythm and voicing, then you would't need the chord tab anyway.