I've got an old 1993 Flextone HD and I honestly love the tone this thing can create, however, it obviously lacks the warmth of a tube amp being that its solid state. I'm wondering, should I get rack tube preamp, or something along those lines to beef up the sound? I've seen those tube powered distortion pedals but I'd rather just have the entire amp signal run through tubes. Any suggestions? Ideal products for this?
Overdriven pre-amp tubes sound great but it's the power amp tubes that give you the warm tube sound.
Quote by BobDetroit
Overdriven pre-amp tubes sound great but it's the power amp tubes that give you the warm tube sound.

so i guess my question would be, "would it add some tube-driven depth to a solid state?" Mainly thats my focus, being that the amp has got great tone and a few of the effects are pretty good so all I really think it needs is some of the brown tone.
Quote by tfrost1988
so i guess my question would be, "would it add some tube-driven depth to a solid state?" Mainly thats my focus, being that the amp has got great tone and a few of the effects are pretty good so all I really think it needs is some of the brown tone.

Well maybe.. My opinion is that solid state and most models sound flat, but you can add depth by running them through a tube power amp. Only you know the tone you're after and this is definitely a try before you buy situation, but I haven't heard any reasonably priced tube distortion pedals that sound better than your amp on it's own.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Tube distortion pedals are really not all that. Usually, they're not even reeeally using the tube's capabilities, since they're running a starved plate design.

This.

Most tube pedals don't put out enough power to adequately drive the tubes to the point they need to be in.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I've seen some neat DIY designs for tube pedals, though. Might build a Valvecaster sometime, just for kicks.

Pic I found of someone's build. Far out.

^ What happens when you've had one too many and step on the tube?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Dude, I want a tube driven trem. Scratch that, vibrato. You got a schem?

I need to stay away from you, you're givin me way too many projects.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by tfrost1988
I'm wondering, should I get rack tube preamp, or something along those lines to beef up the sound?

Yes. Randall, Mrsa, and VHT make great power amps. Also, see if you can snag a tube overdrive pedal and run it as a clean boost in the front (with the gain at minimal), just to add some tubeyness to the front as well.

Tube OD (drive all the way down, level at least halfway up or more)> flextone >FX Loop Out > Power Amp > Speakers.

Or just do the poweramp, which will work great. I'd recommend the Randall, as it's a 2x50 watt design that allows you to use any tubes you want on either side, and with MIDI you should be able to switch between the power sections with each channel switch.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 30, 2009,
Oh my god how ignorant can a forum be....Havent you guys heard the FDD button in the marshall mg series. That gives you ultimate tube warmth and crushing tube overdrive in a solid state amp. Get one of those forget about your sh1tty flextone....
Quote by blind.quardian
Oh my god how ignorant can a forum be....Havent you guys heard the FDD button in the marshall mg series. That gives you ultimate tube warmth and crushing tube overdrive in a solid state amp. Get one of those forget about your sh1tty flextone....

I seriously hope you were joking.

And TS - a tube power amp sounds like the way to go.
***Short Sig***
[quote="'[= Tom ="]']I seriously hope you were joking.

And TS - a tube power amp sounds like the way to go.

You havent tried the marshall have you

I would run the flextone preamp into a tube poweramp. Maybe a Carvin TS100, those go well with modellers.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by blind.quardian
You havent tried the marshall have you

Actually i have a marshall MG.

I hate it.

EDIT: You's trollin
***Short Sig***
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube is pretty good for tube sounds. a cheaper option, but much harder to find, is an old Tube Works Real Tube overdrive. they were designed by BK butler and sound delicious. if you find on on your local CL, give it a look.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Or you could do what I'm going to do and run a tube power amp with your Flextone....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by blind.quardian

I've tried the Marshall, and yes, the flextone sounds better. Sorry to disagree but I just don't like the thin, raspy sound of those amps.
Quote by tfrost1988
I've tried the Marshall, and yes, the flextone sounds better. Sorry to disagree but I just don't like the thin, raspy sound of those amps.

Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
i dont see why I'm labeled a troll, i started this thread as an inquiry for information. I was just saying i respectfully disagree on the tone of an amp.
Quote by tfrost1988
i dont see why I'm labeled a troll, i started this thread as an inquiry for information. I was just saying i respectfully disagree on the tone of an amp.

No, not you. The guy who just randomly popped in and said the MG was great. I know him to be a troll in other threads, and I know there is no way he believes what he said.

My advice for you; either a tube power amp to run your preamp effects through, or just buy a tube amp. Sorry, I know you don't want to hear the second one.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
If solid State Amps could get to the "warmth" stage w/o spending a ton, we'd see a lot more SS amps. (Not that they arent already a lot of them). The only reason that Tubes are still around is that SS Analog and SS Digital Tech hasnt been able to recreate the sound. I've seen a lot of pedals that "Claim" to do the rick, a lot of rigs that try to do create the "Warmth", but it never sounds legit w/o a tube power amp.

If one wants tube warmth, one needs a tube amp.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Aren't there tube power amps? I've heard alot of people run SS/Modellers like Axe FX, Vettas, VH140c and such through tube power amps or something like that.
Quote by MadAudioMan
Aren't there tube power amps? I've heard alot of people run SS/Modellers like Axe FX, Vettas, VH140c and such through tube power amps or something like that.

Yes.

It happens a lot. In Rack mounted amp systems and effects units. If you have an Axe-Fx and a Tube Power Amp, you would have one kick ass set up. Any vaiation of a Tube Amp should get that "Warmth". But trying to find it in a SS rig will be nigh impossible.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204