So I just picked up a new guitar (Ibanez RG350DX) and it has caused me to realize how much my Behringer amp sucks. I want a new amp for around $450, but not sure what to get.

Here's my current setup:
Ibanez RG350DX > EHX Metal Muff w/ Top Boost > Korg Pandora PX4D > Behringer GMX212 amp

I play a lot of different types of metal (thrash, neoclassical, progressive, nwobhm, etc) as well as a little classic rock and blues on occasion.

The Behringer amp actually sounds OK for clean stuff with reverb/delay/compressor from the Korg pedal, but as soon as I try to play anything with gain, my low end gets muddy, and palm muting sounds horrible. High end sounds somewhat decent, but there is no crunch whatsoever.

I'm contemplating taking my old guitar (crappy low-end Ibanez with a passive EMG) and Behringer amp into Guitar Center and trading them in for a new amp. They said they'd give me $200 for the guitar and amp (about $70 less than I think it's worth), and I'm willing to chip in another $200ish, so I'm looking for something in the $350-450 range.

Right now I'm thinking either a Peavey ValveKing 112 or a B-52 AT112. Any input on either of these amps (or other recommendations)?

tl;dr: Behringer amp sucks, have $450 to spend, what amp should I get for metal?
B52 FTW. it totally owns the valveking for your stuff (and for almost everything)
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by MetalGuitarest
A used randall RG...Any peavey really... I'd take the peavey over the b-52

Maybe I wasn't clear, but it has to be bought from guitar center, since I'm trading in my stuff there.

Seems like most people here really like the B52. I've read some bad things about their reliability (blown tubes, bad input jacks)... do I need to be worried about that?

Also, is this going to be a noticeable difference between the Behringer solid state and one of these low-end tube amps? I just blew $350 on my new guitar, and I don't want to waste a bunch of money on a new amp if it's going to be barely any different (I have almost zero experience with tube amps).
So I called Guitar Center today, they told me the B52 AT112 is not in stock anywhere within a few hundred miles of me, and that it has been "decoded" in their system so it may be discontinued. Is this true, or is GC just retarded?

After doing some research I was leaning toward the B52, but I want to play one first and now I can't because GC doesn't have them...
Can you use the trade-in funds to purchase a used amp? There are probably a few good tube amps to be found there.

The Valveking should really only be bought used, or if you have no other choice. that being said, after upgrades, its a good amp... but not for you.

Vypyr Tube 60 would be a good choice, and you may have enough money for a Sanpera I.

*the B-52 is not discontinued on the GC site, yet. I'd talk to them again. That amp would fit the ticket.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by Bloodred070
So I called Guitar Center today, they told me the B52 AT112 is not in stock anywhere within a few hundred miles of me, and that it has been "decoded" in their system so it may be discontinued. Is this true, or is GC just retarded?

After doing some research I was leaning toward the B52, but I want to play one first and now I can't because GC doesn't have them...

Musician's friend has them.
and look at your GC's used section for amps and post back
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
well i have the B-52 and i live it to death. the only things i dont like about it is that its not the best for bedroom playing cause at around vol. 1 you dont get nearly as much gain as you would think, really you have to have it above 2 to respect the tone. in regards to the QC cept for an occasional "power cut" as i put it when the power just cuts in half and sound horrible for some odd reason (all i have to do to fix it is put it in stand by for like a 5 secs or play a g chord for example really hard) which only happens when im playing it at low volumes, its perfect. i mean its no "poor mans mesa" as people call it but for like $350 you cant beat it.

PS i had to order it from GC and it shipped fine so dont be worried to order it online
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by MetalGuitarest
A used randall RG...Any peavey really... I'd take the peavey over the b-52

im my opinion it should be

randall rc > any peavey besides valveking > b2 > valveking

unless you plan on upgrading the speaker and tubes for the valveking pick something else

Quote by sandman-105
well i have the B-52 and i live it to death. the only things i dont like about it is that its not the best for bedroom playing cause at around vol. 1 you dont get nearly as much gain as you would think, really you have to have it above 2 to respect the tone. in regards to the QC cept for an occasional "power cut" as i put it when the power just cuts in half and sound horrible for some odd reason (all i have to do to fix it is put it in stand by for like a 5 secs or play a g chord for example really hard) which only happens when im playing it at low volumes, its perfect. i mean its no "poor mans mesa" as people call it but for like $350 you cant beat it.

PS i had to order it from GC and it shipped fine so dont be worried to order it online

are you sure this is the amp itself or a problem with a cable or a pedal in your chain because i've experienced the same problem with my splawn and it just turned out my tubescreamer was messed up

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Last edited by timzee117 at Aug 30, 2009,
How's the Peavey Classic 30 for metal? GC has one used for $260.

Also, I have some old pedals (Digitech Death Metal... yuck) I might trade in to get an EQ pedal. Anybody have experience with the Danelectro Fish & Chips?
you won't get anything from GC for the Beheringer, and you'll get ripped off for the guitar (no one does fair trade ins). sell the both of them on CL as a deal for 3/4 of the price you bought your Ibanez for.

the Classic 30 is more for classic rock/blues. it could work if you boosted it with an OD, but i'd suggest getting something like a Bugera or a used 6505.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.