hey i was thinking about getting a distortion pedal. i was thinking about getting the MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive Pedal. is it any good? how much should i pay for a distortion pedal? any other suggestions?
What kind of Distortion pedal exactly? Distortion? metal? or OD?
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War

No.

Come back when you can describe exactly what you want. "Badass crunch" doesn't give us any idea of what you will be using it for. Are you running over a clean channel? Boosting an overdrive channel? Using it as a clean boost for leads?
I have a zack wyld od... I bought it for $25 on craigslist... a few things you should know b4 even considering a purchase...
1) It is anything but 'badass'. The resale value is so low because this pedal is really not aggressive at all. It's an overdrive - and a nice one IMO, but it's a very low gain pedal.
2)Not true bypass
3)VERY LOW RESALE VALUE!

I would suggest you go to a music store and try a few things out. If you actually want 'crunch'... and you have a tube amp... I'd suggest the vox dist booster... it is VERY crunchy -but again not that high gain.
If you actually want something that would fall into the 'badass' territory, consider a line6 ubermetal, boss md-2, boss metalzone... or perhaps a digitech df-7 because it models several high and low gain dist units so you can cover several bases.

just my opinion... and there are many out there that don't matter - only yours will count.
Quote by mistermikev
If you actually want something that would fall into the 'badass' territory, consider a line6 ubermetal, boss md-2, boss metalzone... or perhaps a digitech df-7 because it models several high and low gain dist units so you can cover several bases.

just my opinion... and there are many out there that don't matter - only yours will count.
No.
okay my gear is a schecter hellraiser deluxe, ibanez weekign demon wah pedal, and miller 10W mini amp

i want a realy realy heavy loud distoriton sound
I don't think it would be a wise investment.

You can get a better amp for around the same amount you could potentially pay for a pedal.
As mentioned in this thread...The Zakk Wylde OD:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MXRZW44
Costs 100 bucks.
Roland Microcube:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicroCubeRed
Only 130 bucks.
Guarantee that this sounds better than your current amp.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well if your going to be unspecific and dont feel like wastening a bunch of money on a really nice distortion just get a Boss Ds-1 for now. I still the Ds-1 for all my base distortion, sounds alright for alot of thins.

couldn't have said it better myself

on a different note: people don't realise this, but the ZW44 is an OVERDRIVE. it's not an MG in a box, it's meant to push the front end of an amp, specifically a british style amp. it's very good at doing so. i had one for a while and it sounded great as a boost. hell, it was even good as a stadn alone unit for classic rock and blues. but a metal pedal it is not. if you want a metal distortion, look into a modded MT2, the MXR Dime Bag Distortion or the Hardwire TL2.

but you need a new amp, bro.

Budget?
Styles?
Willing to go used?
Nearest major city?
Home use or Gigging?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Riffofthebeast
its tiny. if im getting a new amp its gona be BIG and VICIOUS

Seriously dude, listen to what these guys are saying to you. You've got such a tiny crappy amp that saving for a better amp and then deciding what you need to tweak your tone is what you need to do. Otherwise, you'll buy a pedal be reasonably happy with it along with your current amp. Get a better amp and all of a sudden your pedal won't seem so good and you'll end up selling it for a large loss and regret not listening to us in this here thread
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Dude, your a doing a post with no info, stupid replies and you don't even help us help you!!

You should get a better amp first, then, get a good distortion pedal.
You want something loud?
Get a boss MT-2, it's really cool and heavy, I own one and I'm really satisfied. It costed me 115 canadian bucks!

Oh well
Good luck

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Quote by The_Bosstone
No.

r u being a tone snob?

admittedly I gratuitously use the term bad-ass...

but lets face it... if you want THAT sound and u aren't playing around in your bedroom/asking your mum for the money to buy it, then go with a mesa triaxis or a jcm 800,

I just went ahead and assumed the object of this discussion is that we're trying to get a metal sound out of a $100 stompbox... and if that's the case I'd really like to know what you would recommend that would be so much better?