Hi,

I'm a very green guitar player, been playing on and off for a couple of years and want to start up again. I'm planning on picking up an Ibanez GRX20 and I need an amp to go with it. I am very poor and so I've narrowed it down to two choices. I'm just looking for a practice amp, so something that sounds clean with good distortion is good enough for me. I play (or am hoping to play) mostly alternative rock - stuff like Muse, U2, Coldplay etc.

The two choices are:

Marshall MG10CD
Fender Frontman 10G

Both of these seem to have very mixed reviews on UG, but have excellent reviews elsewhere. Please tell me what you would go with, they're both the same price ($60). If you have another suggestion in the same price range I'd be happy to hear it but also please give your opinion on the best of the two I have chosen.

Thanks so much for your help!
Neither. Get a peavey vypyr 15.
It's $40 more, but worth it.
But, the new MG's aren't too bad. Try one, if you like it, get it.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Last edited by sw1ss023 at Aug 29, 2009,
I'd just ambush the neighbor's cat and plug my guitar into his butt. Couldn't sound any worse.
Quote by sw1ss023
Neither. Get a peavey vypyr 15.
It's $40 more, but worth it.
But, the new MG's aren't too bad. Try one, if you like it, get it.

Took a closer look at the vypyr, it is $40 more but also has a built-in tuner, which I would have had to pay extra for. I am considering this now, thanks for the advice.
Quote by al112987
Personally, I do not take user reviews seriously.

User reviews are pretty much all I can go by, along with advice from forums like this. Even if I go out and try them myself, I don't think I have the experience or the ear to really notice much difference at this stage in my playing. Would you recommend a vpypr?
Quote by Tunnel of Love
User reviews are pretty much all I can go by, along with advice from forums like this. Even if I go out and try them myself, I don't think I have the experience or the ear to really notice much difference at this stage in my playing. Would you recommend a vpypr?

For under $100? yes. Buy this now.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482908&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID