Hey, i playing in Em and soloing around in a metal/rock style, and i get my rhythm to play power chords that are in Key of E minor like E,F#,G... etc

But its just getting boring the power chords, im not sure what chords to play that arnt power chords but sound punchy and rocky: Eg

x
x and

x
x

Any recommendations/exxplainations are appreciated.
Last edited by KTHXBAI at Aug 29, 2009,
If you really are determined to play with a lot of distortion, sus2, sus4, add9 and add11 can sound ok. The key to not making them sound muddy though is making wide voicings.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Some alternative shapes I've played around with. I consider these chords to be "mimics" of real chords because they're too stripped down to qualify as real chords, even though they sound similar to the real ones.

|---|
|---|
|---|
|-3-|
|-5-|
|---|
Mimics D minor

|---|
|---|
|---|
|-4-|
|-5-|
|---|
Mimics D major

|---|
|---|
|---|
|-8-|
|-5-|
|---|
Mimics Bb major; might also pass as a D augmented

|---|
|---|
|-7-|
|-5-|
|-5-|
|---|
Technically a G5 (or power) chord, but incorporates the dissonance of the fourth interval.

|---|
|---|
|-7-|
|-6-|
|-5-|
|---|
The tritone (mimics D flat-5 chord)

|---|
|---|
|-9-|
|-7-|
|-5-|
|---|
Dsus2 chord

|---|
|---|
|-5-|
|-3-|
|-5-|
|---|
Mimics D minor 7 (but has no 5th)

|---|
|---|
|-5-|
|-7-|
|-5-|
|---|
Mimics D dom7 (but has no 3rd)

|---|
|---|
|-5-|
|-4-|
|-5-|
|---|
Also mimics D dom7, but has no 5th.

|---|
|---|
|-6-|
|-4-|
|-5-|
|---|
Mimics D major7 (has no 5th).

All these are intended for use with moderate distortion, although the last four sound terrible with very thick distortion.
^ The first ones were just diads. And it's perfectly fine to omit the fifth, it's still the same chord.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
^ The first ones were just diads. And it's perfectly fine to omit the fifth, it's still the same chord.

Never called them chords

When the 5th is omitted from a chord it sounds unstable to me... but if it's acceptable practice then great.

Of course the placement of the chord/diad in the progression is very important. Sometimes a single note can imply a chord if used in the right place.
You can always play "bigger" powerchords, just pile on the roots and 5ths

Stuff like this...

E5 D5 A5 G5
E|--0--5--5--3-
B|--0--3--5--3-
G|--4--2--2--0-
D|--2--0--2--0-
A|--2--0--0--x-
E|--0--------3-
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Stuff like this...

E5 D5 A5 G5
E|--0--5--5--3-
B|--0--3--5--3-
G|--4--2--2--0-
D|--2--0--2--0-
A|--2--0--0--x-
E|--0--------3-

That sort of thing mixed with sus4 chords just sounds epic on an acoustic guitar.

You can always use normal chords too!
Quote by steven seagull

Stuff like this...

E5 D5 A5 G5
E|--0--5--5--3-
B|--0--3--5--3-
G|--4--2--2--0-
D|--2--0--2--0-
A|--2--0--0--x-
E|--0--------3-

I'll definitely vouch for this if you're sick of the ol' typical power chords. Paul Gilbert uses the G5 to great effect in 'The Curse of Castle Dragon'. Try working out Power Chords with as many root and 5th notes as you can into the progression.

(Also, I've not tried this, but it occured to me just now that you could use that G5 shape and others with barring? You've got your whole progression in one shape there.)
John Petrucci likes to add a 7th in whenever he can and to use open strings. Just basically adding in more notes to give the guitar a bigger, fuller sound.
Quote by Torked
I'll definitely vouch for this if you're sick of the ol' typical power chords. Paul Gilbert uses the G5 to great effect in 'The Curse of Castle Dragon'. Try working out Power Chords with as many root and 5th notes as you can into the progression.

(Also, I've not tried this, but it occured to me just now that you could use that G5 shape and others with barring? You've got your whole progression in one shape there.)

That's what the CAGED system basically is, using the open shapes of C,A,G,E and D major for all other chords.
Call me Batman.