heu guys. so i got a df7 pedal a week ago, an i didnt feel like shelling out the money for the digitech ac adapter. i had a universal adapter at home that i got at walmart. its the one that has like 6 diff tips to put in it. anyways, yesterday my pedal completely died. i remember reading somewhere that pedals use a reverse polarity and that those universal adapters wouldnt work. so i got a new hardwire tl-2 now an i am not using it until i figure this out. so is the reverse polarity thing true or bs? i dont want to fry another pedal. if so would this adapter work for hardwire pedals? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-DA1-Power-Supply?sku=151851
thanks for your help
Those multi do everything adapters from walmart are a bad idea when it comes to pedals. They usually have pretty crappy filtering to begin with and so can add alot of noise. And they usually dont regulate well at all. The one I have puts out over 12v on just about any setting but 3v. Being able to flip the polarity so easy isnt a good idea either. The dano adapter should work but you will be better off spending some more money and buying something like the 1 spot.
Get a one spot and a daisy chain, it's not very expensive.
VOX AC15 Classic Combo
Gibson SG Menace
Parker p-42
AnalogMan modified TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss DD-20 Giga-Delay
Boss Compression sustainer
Maxon AF-9 Auto Filter Wah
Quote by asilaydying88
heu guys. so i got a df7 pedal a week ago, an i didnt feel like shelling out the money for the digitech ac adapter. i had a universal adapter at home that i got at walmart. its the one that has like 6 diff tips to put in it. anyways, yesterday my pedal completely died. i remember reading somewhere that pedals use a reverse polarity and that those universal adapters wouldnt work. so i got a new hardwire tl-2 now an i am not using it until i figure this out. so is the reverse polarity thing true or bs? i dont want to fry another pedal. if so would this adapter work for hardwire pedals? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-DA1-Power-Supply?sku=151851
thanks for your help

you need to know 3 things when getting an adapter

- polarity
- voltage
- current draw

the polarity will be positive ended, or negative ended. you can get inverter adapters for power supplies. the voltage will be like 9, 12, 15, 18 whatever, i got a mutron that has like 24 volts! then the current draw is in 'ma' or milli amps. so the common boss psa power supply is "9.6V DC 500mA, barrel connector, reverse polarity" a digitech one is 9.6V, 300 ma, positive ended, while the danelectro is 9.6V, 200ma, positive ended. now the rule is the voltage and polarity need to match, but the ma needs to meet or exceed the pedal rating. so a 500ma adapter could be used on a 300ma pedal, but a 300ma pedal needs at least 300 ma to function, now this is considering the voltage and polarity match.

i believe the 'one spot' may be negative ended with the polarity

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godlyke-PowerAll-PA9B-9V-Digital-Power-Supply-Basic-Kit?sku=150470

this one is much like a one spot, but has the polarity inverter on it for positive ended pedals, also has more ma to push more pedals
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
ya mine is 300ma an the adapter i had was 600 so no worries there. but if digitech is positive then i wonder why it went bad. it def seemed like it dying was a result of the adapter cause if i would wiggle it around it would work then stop. it has the tips that pull off so im wondering if i maybe had it switched around at some point thus essentially makin it reverse, so thats probably what screwed it up. but thanks gumbilicious that was a very informative post
ya i exchanged it for the hardwire. i told them basically what happened they were real cool about it