This whole idea about selling out is really starting to piss me off. people use it way to frequently. This was triggered by the recent news article on Kurt Cobain being on Guitar Hero. People were saying how he supposedly "sold out" and that he was laughing all the way to the bank. The is undoubtedly no question that he had made insane amounts of money. Does that make someone a sellout? does having good enough songriting and industry awareness to succeed well in music make them a sellout? Does making extra money from selling merch, despite numerous fans buying them out of free will, does that make them a sellout?Obviously there are exceptions. i mean, Metallica and the napster incident for example.

Your thoughts?
i think there is a difference between making money and selling out, and many people declare the two as the same
As long as the band is doing what they are doing for their own creative reasons, and not just changing to make money, then it's not selling out. If some silly underground metal band started getting poppy because they WANTED to it's not really selling out.

People say bands "sell out" when they don't even know the intentions of the band. Basically, people just like to bitch.

If you're making money doing what you love, so be it. It doesn't mean you sold out.
Kurt Cobain is dead. if they're making him into guitar hero, i'm pretty sure it's not his fault. someone else is selling him out.
Speak the truth and speak 'ever
Cost it what it will
For he who hide the wrong he did
Did the wrong thing still
Quote by HammettFTW
This whole idea about selling out is really starting to piss me off. people use it way to frequently. This was triggered by the recent news article on Kurt Cobain being on Guitar Hero. People were saying how he supposedly "sold out" and that he was laughing all the way to the bank. The is undoubtedly no question that he had made insane amounts of money. Does that make someone a sellout? does having good enough songriting and industry awareness to succeed well in music make them a sellout? Does making extra money from selling merch, despite numerous fans buying them out of free will, does that make them a sellout?Obviously there are exceptions. i mean, Metallica and the napster incident for example.

Your thoughts?

I FRICKEN FEEL YA

even people who sell out, so???
If you go against your ideals, you're a sell out.

For example, if you're an anarcho punk band, and then you sign to a major corporate label and release a top 40 hit pop song, you'll have a hard time justifying yourself.

If you're a guy who just wants to play music and shoot heroin, it's no big deal.
Quote by NemX162
As long as the band is doing what they are doing for their own creative reasons, and not just changing to make money, then it's not selling out. If some silly underground metal band started getting poppy because they WANTED to it's not really selling out.

People say bands "sell out" when they don't even know the intentions of the band. Basically, people just like to bitch.

If you're making money doing what you love, so be it. It doesn't mean you sold out.

word.

+1

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

I don't see how Kurt Cobain would be laughing all the way to the bank. He's dead.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Quote by reelbigfish2020
i think there is a difference between making money and selling out, and many people declare the two as the same
Yes but they are sometimes linked. The thing with Kurt Cobain was that he earned heaps of money and couldn't be bothered making any more music because he didn't need to (at least that was my interpretation of it...I'm probably wrong idk)
How is it even possible for the dead to sell out?

As far as selling out goes...... yes, it does happen..... but some twits are too quick to throw that word around. I don't know what moron decided that the term selling out was a synonym for making money. It could just be the greedy capitalist in me....... but i don't have a problem with someone making lots of money doing what they enjoy. It's not selling out until you abandon your principles, but most of us don't really know a band's motivations in the first place (other than those rare occasions where it smacks you right across the face).
The facts are that artists get very little money from selling records (unless you have your own label or are a mega band e.g.: U2, Coldplay etc.) and they only get good money from touring and selling merchandise. These days artists are getting even less money from records due to illegal downloading etc. If I was asked to be featured in Guitar Hero and get paid for it, then hell yeah I'd do it.
People said Kurt sold out by going on GH?

What made me mad about that is the fact that Cobain basically shot his own face off (presumably) to get away from being a washed-rocker turned video-game character, for example.

As far as sellouts go, a prime example would be Chris Cornell. He went from making inspired music with Soundgarden, to Great music (imo) with Audioslave, to good music with Audioslave, to allright music with Audioslave, and to **** music as a solo artist.

It's like the record companies signed him and sell his records a) because, hey, its Chris Cornell, he was in Soundgarden and Audioslave, and b) people will buy whatever he puts out, as fast as he puts it out. A

And he's still making mad money. So that's my example of a "sell-out". He's past the point of shooting himself in the face and saving his soul.
Quote by weezergeek182
Many bands don't sell out cuz they're sound changes. Many times they just develope into what they've been shooting for. It just takes time to hone in on and develope that signature sound you were aiming for. once you change a little however, your immediately labeled a "sellout".

most bands that "hone in" to their "signature sound" sound like every other band on the radio.

My experience draws mainly off of country radio but in the words of Those Poor Bastards...
"The Bullsh*t they play, it all sounds the same, 'cause the singers sing whatever they're told. C*cksckers got no minds of theyre own"

But it works for rock radio too.
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun