Page 1 of 2
Do any of you feel that Jackson's curvy explorer-like shape (used on the Kelly) is awkward to stand with?

The Stratocaster shape is very easy to stand with. It's balanced. I angle the neck so that the headstock is about at my eye-level, and the guitar stays there without me having to support it with either one of my hands. This is extremely important when using both hands on the neck to play.

The Jackson Kelly shape does not feel balanced like this. The guitar tends to tilt downward, with the headstock diving toward the ground. I have tried drilling new holes for the strap to find a better balance, but I have only made it worse.

Do any of you own a guitar with this shape? Have you figured out what the problem was? Is it just me?
- Flavenka Zdravko
Last edited by uhcafigdc at Aug 29, 2009,
If I don't figure out how to balance this guitar, I am going to throw it in the garbage, lol.
- Flavenka Zdravko
Every funny shape I've played does that. Get used to it or buy a super light neck, weight the body or change how you play.

EDIT: There's also different places to put the strap buttons that helps a lot. Figure that out for yourself, it's not too bad with some thinking
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
You'll have to live with it being unbalanced or add some weight to the body.

Not every funny shape is unbalanced. Dean ML's and RB's are incredibly well balanced.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Aug 29, 2009,
Some guitars are more unbalanced than others. Gibson SGs, for one, are notorious for being very neck heavy.

You play with the headstock at eye level? Wow you must be very short, or hold your guitar very very high, or just have the neck at a crazy angle...
^^ To play a guitar with the headstock at eye level, would mean he holds his guitar at an angle. When I tap I tilt my guitar up a bit.
Quote by stratman7
Some guitars are more unbalanced than others. Gibson SGs, for one, are notorious for being very neck heavy.

You play with the headstock at eye level? Wow you must be very short, or hold your guitar very very high, or just have the neck at a crazy angle...

Try holding yours at an angle like that. It might change your life.
- Flavenka Zdravko
Yeah I suppose when I do certain techniques, I tilt my guitar way up. Now that I think about it. Sounded strange to me though...
What are some other well-balanced shapes?

I love how this shape gives me access to the frets high up on the neck. I hate that I feel so restricted with the Strat-style shape. Maybe I will bring my strap to a guitar store and try a bunch of them on.
- Flavenka Zdravko
I can't understand why so many guitars would be designed and manufactured without a perfect balance. To neglect such an important design principle seems ironic to me, if the aggressive shape implies that it is meant to support a playing style that demands good action.
- Flavenka Zdravko
when i had my kelly, i always had the strap all the way out so that the big wing in the back was out of my way. what did result from this was , the body would drop and the neck would go up around your chin, as long as you had your hand on the neck to keep it where you wanted it it was balanced and very comfortable to play.
tobacco sunburst schecter c1 classic
black,with creme binding ibanez arc-100
tubescreamer
fender,"ultimate chorus"amp
I don't know, I love kellys and explorers more, it may just take some getting used to dude. Play it for awhile, and just try. Dont throw it away.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
You'll grow to get used to it. Just give it some time and do what the others said.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by mig=21
as long as you had your hand on the neck to keep it where you wanted it
not balanced, and not acceptable.

MetalMusicianAl I'll send this guitar to you before throwing it away, alright?

Actually, what I am going to do is drill huge gaping holes into the back-end of the body with a 1" wood drill bit and pack them with iron filings. After that I will probably post pictures of it on the internet and whine about it some more.
- Flavenka Zdravko
Last edited by uhcafigdc at Aug 30, 2009,
You only have to move the knob that's closest to the neck. Move it closer to the neck... and probably down a bit.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
You only have to move the knob that's closest to the neck. Move it closer to the neck... and probably down a bit.
I have done this already. The position that it is in out-of-the-box is the most optimal.
- Flavenka Zdravko
Well then get a bar-bell weight. About... 2.5 pounds.

Duct tape it to the back of your Kelly.

Now which side is heavier?
If you want the body to hang lower, you need to move the heel strap button further up the back side.

But i'd just go for a strap that has one of those things that keeps the strap in place on your shoulder. That will keep it hanging where you put it.
Quote by uhcafigdc
It's broken.

What's wrong with it? It might be worth more to fit it then sell it/donate it and write it off.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
You are very dissapointing, for lack of a better word. Some kids can't even afford a guitar, and they would have killed for your Kelly.

You could have gave a guitar to the next Hendrix/Rhoads.

That is if you really did smash it.
The next Hendrix/Rhoads deserves to have a better guitar.
- Flavenka Zdravko
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
You'll have to live with it being unbalanced or add some weight to the body.

Not every funny shape is unbalanced. Dean ML's and RB's are incredibly well balanced.

As are Gibson Explorer's.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
r0ckth3d34n I started attaching weight to the body around where the rear strap button is. It took quite a bit of weight to finally balance the guitar, and it ended up being very heavy. This is probably because the back of the guitar is close to the center of mass.

I can't see myself using this guitar anywhere but my bedroom with a huge brick of iron tied to it.
- Flavenka Zdravko
Last edited by uhcafigdc at Sep 3, 2009,
just spread your legs out more, sometimes when im soloing, i put my right leg over the top wing, so the neck is pointing close to straight up, works for me, just figure out how you like it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Casketcreep
Then you should have bought a guitar that was a proper shape, instead of one that comprises comfort for looking METULLZ and being pointy as ****.

It's not all that pointy, and It's also one of the most comfortable guitars iv ever played, and theres no such thing as a "Proper shape", you dont like it then thats your problem, dont bash it if you just dont like it.
ಠ_ಠ

So...you broke it. You're a ****ing dumbass. You get a guitar as nice as a Jackson Kelly, then you complain about it when you chose to buy it in the first place, then you break it in a hissy-fit. Good job. Hope you have fun with your firewood.
wait, you smashed it? your a ****ing asshole!!!, you shouldnt even be playing guitar if you smash a guitar just because it isnt balanced enough for you. Should have sold it, or gave it to someone who isnt just a little 12 year old acting prick of a guitar player.
Your just acting like a little brat smashing somthing as nice as a kelly.
ಠ_ಠ

Watch some videos of Marty Friedman playing live with a Kelly, see how he cope with issue.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
move the strap button to the neck plate on the back. most odd shapes are neck heavy, espicially if they are basswood or alder (light woods) with a maple neck (heavier wood). this is where dean mounts the strap buttons on their odd shaped guitars to make them balance better.

the two strap buttons will try to make themselves parrallel, so by moving the forward button down the neck will come up.
If you really did smash the guitar, post pics please
Does it offend you, yeah?
Page 1 of 2