Well, UG here's my current set up:
Gibson SG Special (a bit older, much beter than the new ones)
Ibanez RGT42DX
Epiphone Les Paul
Bugera 333xl Head
2x12 cab
PODxt/pedals/cables/etc.

What are my options/good ideas to with my stuff while I'm away at college? Obviously, I don't want to bring all of my guitars off to school with me, that'd be reckless and impractical. On the other hand, I still want to be able to play.

I'm thinking I should just take one guitar (either the Epiphone or the Ibanez; the Gibson was my first "real" guitar and I could never lose it) and my PODxt, maybe with an investment in good headphones.

Is this a reasonable approach? School is still a while away for me, so I have time to think on it and consider all my options.

Do any of you have some better suggestions or remarks about your personal experiences?
A pod and a decent guitar is a nice idea. Great for night playing and you dont annoy your roomates.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I would personally take the Ibanez if I were you (:
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
That was my thinking. My other worries are theft or damage. It's not like a Bugera is insanely expensive, but it's loud and rather big for a dorm room. If either of the guitars were stolen, it would get replaced with something much cheaper.

Does anyone regret bringing their guitar to college and think they should have bought a cheaper alternative?

EDIT: this post is to mexican_shred

EDIT 2: to the person above me, I'd love to bring my Ibanez. I absolutely love that guitar, but it also means too much to me. It's the first guitar I payed for myself, and I've never seen another one with a neck like it.
Last edited by blasphemy101 at Aug 29, 2009,
I brought my rg1570 the first two years and my pgm301 this year. As long as you know youroommates nature and lock your door you're fine. I played at first using a tone port, then moved to a really small rack rig with a cheap power amp and my toneport/rocktron. Now i just have a blackstar since im in my own place. No real regrets. Might have gotten a few dings in my 1570 due to friends but that would have happened at home as well
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Thanks for your response. I've just been getting doubts recently after seeing people on and off talking about stolen guitars in college. I figure I'll follow something along the lines of your example of starting simple and relatively cheap and then moving on as I get more comfortable with the situation.
i say take the Epi and the PODxt, then invest in good headphones, like you said.
Whats the most you'd want to look at spending on them? I can help you pick some good ones
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
To Collin: I have no idea. I have a pair of Sony ones that didn't cost more that $100 and they sound excellent. I don't know anything about how much money gets me what. It seems like a product with diminshing returns (the amount more you pay is not proportional to how much better they get).

EDIT: The Sony pair is falling apart, that's why I'm looking at a new pair.
Last edited by blasphemy101 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by blasphemy101
To Collin: I have no idea. I have a pair of Sony ones that didn't cost more that $100 and they sound excellent. I don't know anything about how much money gets me what. It seems like a product with diminshing returns (the amount more you pay is not proportional to how much better they get).

EDIT: The Sony pair is falling apart, that's why I'm looking at a new pair.

It's not diminishing returns, its more like to after a certain point they cant get any better to someone who doesnt use them professionally (similarly to guitars to a non-guitarist).

These would serve you well for a while. They are semi-expensive, but they have active noise-cancelling, so all you will hear is your guitar.

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Active-Cancelling-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B000FL2EJE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251605812&sr=8-5
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
my daughter just took my ibanez arc-100 off to colledge with her, i set her up with a little fender amp that has headphones, i afraid that some one may steal it, or some goon she invites to her dorm room, (for milk cookies and a friendly game of uno. by god), might drop it or bust the neck. but she wants to stay sharp, and its a good stress reducer. as most of us know already
tobacco sunburst schecter c1 classic
black,with creme binding ibanez arc-100
tubescreamer
fender,"ultimate chorus"amp
If you really wanted to you could buy one of those traveller guitars and a plug in pocket VOX amp and some skullcandy earphones...
decent gear. I would bring the Pod plus your SG. The reason being for your SG is because, in college your not gonna have a whole lot of time for changing strings. hard tails are like 10 minutes to re-string while a tremolo is 30-60mins possibly more.

SG+Pod XT+Doctor dre head phones(dont like the guy but those are some sick headphones lol.)
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
I brought all three of my guitars and my Classic 30 to college and I lived in a dorm the first two years. Now I'm in an apartment and I still have them all with me. I play on a daily basis and each of my guitars gets used for various things so I just couldn't see myself not bringing one.

I'm not sure why so many people are against taking their nice equipment to college. I don't think in the 3 years I've been there I've heard of anyone's room being broken into, of course the dorms and apartments around here all have hefty dead bolts. That amp might be a bit too loud though, like you said. I'm actually thinking of getting a little Fender Champ or something just so I don't have to use my Classic 30 all the time.
I have my Strat my Ovation Acousitc and my Superchamp XD on campus

I need them all
Guitars
MIM Fender Strat
Ovation Celebrity GC057

Amp
Fender Superchamp XD

Pedals
Crybaby Wah

Wishlist
Takamine G360S
I plan on bringing most of my gear to college, but then again I'm majoring in music....so that makes sense.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
i'd take the pod, get some decent headphones, and take the epiphone. i say the epiphone because you can tune it to alternate tunings easily, unlike the ibanez with the floating bridge.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
is it practical if your playing in a serious band at college? Cause how are you supposed to fit full stacks and stuff in your dorm?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
is it practical if your playing in a serious band at college? Cause how are you supposed to fit full stacks and stuff in your dorm?

you don't, thats what combo amps are for.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I have the roland 30x cube and a live 6 pod x3live but i am unsure which to bring to my dorm. im worried that someone might steal my x3 live.

also, does anyone know how to keep your guitar safe? i have a lock for my hard shelled case but the thief could just pick up the entire case and walk away.
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by dNWaKE
i have a lock for my hard shelled case but the thief could just pick up the entire case and walk away.

thats what they told me when i had a guitar class in high school. i went to guitar center looking for a locking case, and the guy was basically like "if they want the guitar they'll take the whole case." when i took my class i found a teacher who locked his room at night and left it in there. could be an option
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Skullcandy Hesh headphones are the best headphones for the price. They're awesome.
Wow...I didn't expect such a crazy response. I still have some time, but I think I'll end up going the Epiphone/Pod way. As time goes on and I (hopefully) get more comfortable, I may bring in more stuff from home. To start off, though, I think the simpler=the better.
lol too be really safe, buy a locking case but then buy like handcuffs or something and lock it to your bed!
Quote by mamosa
Skullcandy Hesh headphones are the best headphones for the price. They're awesome.

dude my skullcandy hesh broke in under 2 months.
Quote by hopespaul
take the bugera bro

I think I'd literally bring the house down... Eh, that was too corny.
Quote by blasphemy101
I think I'd literally bring the house down... Eh, that was too corny.

It's all about feel
Can't you just keep your room locked all the time? That's what I did. Hell I even left my room unlocked a lot and none of my stuff got stolen.

As for headphones, the Skullcandy or Dr. Dre or active noise cancelling ones aren't great if you want the best audio quality, especially at around $100. Try Denon AH-D1001s. I managed to haggle mine down to $90 at J&R, and they sound amazing. If you want to go lower, try Sennheiser HD212 or HD228s. All sound great, especially for the bass range.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Quote by mexican_shred
A pod and a guitar you wouldn't be heartbroken if you lost is a nice idea. Great for night playing and you dont annoy your roomates.

Agreed, with the one correction.

I've no idea what sort of halls you're going into, but it's pretty much a definate that the one thing that'll seriously p!ss off everyone around you is making a load of noise when they're trying to work and sleep. Also, it's not like you're not going to come home from time to time, so if it turns out you do need an amp you can always take one back with you.

Okay, so it's *cough* years since I was at Uni, but I doubt much has changed since then, and if there's one thing I wouldn't really want in halls it's something expensive and delicate. It's not so much a theft thing as a damage thing, and not an intentional damage thing either. My advice is take something you don't mind getting a bit knocked about.

Oh, and take a cheap accoustic if you can - good for parties.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.