So ive done all the stuff in the music theory the beginning, learned the co5 well, i understand modes and know intervals scales chords etc well aurally and on the guitar and ive applied this stuff to compositions just to test the knowledge... so all the basics.

What next? I want to learn stuff thats useful and has practical applications though not just something i learn so i can explain it to someone else. I find i have holes in my learning for example in this video the guy explains why it would be a certain scale and not another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO7vWLPM814&feature=related

he talks about fsharp alt dominant. i wouldnt know that by working it out.
Last edited by bellyache at Aug 30, 2009,
Learn more chords and how to use them. You could do that for years and only scratch the surface of chord progressions.

Really, anything past basic theory will not be very practical/popular. So I suggest some ear training and learning music by ear along with general guitar playing technique.
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Learn more chords and how to use them. You could do that for years and only scratch the surface of chord progressions.

Really, anything past basic theory will not be very practical/popular. So I suggest some ear training and learning music by ear along with general guitar playing technique.

okay well i wont bother then
Learn about seventh chords and arpeggios and improvise....if you can learn a jazz progression with half-diminished 7th, dominant 7, dom7(#9), etc...any other progression you see will be a piece of cake. Work with jazz standards like So What, Confirmation, and Blue Bossa, and improvise over them. I think improv is the most important thing to be able to do in guitar because you don't have to think so hard about writing a solo and with improv, there are NO limits.
Really, anything past basic theory will not be very practical/popular.

You are absolutely incorrect. By only learning basic theory, your compostions will be very limited and, well, you will sound just like everyone else. By expanding your knowledge in music theory you can play more, and it becomes instinct rather than something you have to spend hours to find out what you CAN do,. With basic knowledge you'll basically be limitied to major/minor pentatonic scales and not much more. The more you learn the better
And the compositonal possibilities just understanding the major scale opens up for you are near-limitless.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by Hendrallica
Learn about seventh chords and arpeggios and improvise....if you can learn a jazz progression with half-diminished 7th, dominant 7, dom7(#9), etc...any other progression you see will be a piece of cake. Work with jazz standards like So What, Confirmation, and Blue Bossa, and improvise over them. I think improv is the most important thing to be able to do in guitar because you don't have to think so hard about writing a solo and with improv, there are NO limits.

ok
Transcribe all your favourite music and analyse what they're doing. That's the best advice i can give to anyone, regardless of experience.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
eartraining is definitely most important, so download a program and transcribe everything you hear

and chord progressions, the level goes al the way to extremely hard

also, i think the guy who said theres no need for more than basic theory was referring to stuff like that, substitutions etc are nice but def not needed to make nice popular music
they do really spice up your solos so you might aswell look into them

and the idea to learn jazz was winner, wont go over night though
i study jazz but i still dont really consider me a good jazz player
Last edited by Funkicker at Aug 30, 2009,