So I've been playing guitar for a while but only a year ago did I start practicing and playing seriously. Since then I started practicing daily alot but mostly sitting down, and just a couple weeks back I joined a band and whenever we practice and I play standing up I cant do the same things I do when sitting down, it seems like picking hand is less accurate and I feel some stress on my fretboard hand, is this from bad posture? lack of practice standing up? should I start practicing standing up even though I cant play as fast, acuratly and cant do as big a stretches?
It could have to do with the height you have your guitar when standing up. Alot of players find they can't do the same things standing up as they can sitting down, and this is usually do to the height of their guitars. You could try that.
John Petrucci puts his left foot on a raised platform thing when he plays difficult passages, he says its to put the guitar in the same position that he practices in. Maybe try that?
its probably because you just aren't used to standing up.

i try to practice like 50%standing 50% sitting
GEAR

1976 Gibson SG
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Takamine GS330S Acoustic
Crate 65 watt
Crybaby classic wah
raise your strap to the height that you have it sitting down, then just slowly lower it just like when you're gradually increasing the metronome speed, and you'll get used to it. Practice standing up a bit more, liike what rocnroll4ever93 (aah i had to type all that) said
If you're going to be playing stuff that involve fast playing and wide stretches standing up, I suggest you raise your guitar a bit.
you will notice a lot of guitarists like Megadeth's other guitarist, forget his name, wheres his guitar up on his chest... now i find this to be a bit extreme but it works
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Yeah I've been raising the height of the guitar but I guess it also has to do with the lack of standing practice..
Quote by justinb904
you will notice a lot of guitarists like Megadeth's other guitarist, forget his name, wheres his guitar up on his chest... now i find this to be a bit extreme but it works

Chris Boderick - should have played the piano.

Practice standing at it will get better.
Quote by chiliwillifreak
It's the difference in the height of your guitar. Tom Morello it up.

yea just do what tom morello does, his is high up onto his mid torso/chest area

playing > looking cool maybe
Practicing sitting down is fine if you're balancing your guitar on your left leg rather than your right. Provided you're a righty.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Try learning to play in the classical position, this means that when you're sat down your guitar is in between your legs rather than resting on the right leg.
I mean, think about it, when you stand up your guitar's going to go to the middle not the right.
Also take note of the height, wear your strap whilst sitting down and reduce the size so much that if you reduced it any more it would lift the guitar out of your lap. It shouldn't lift the guitar out of your lap but it should be close to doing so. That way when you stand up it's in the same place.
Sit down and put the guitar on your left leg (if your right handed). It's like your standing up but your sitting down!
Raising the guitar just about two inches upwards does wonders for me.
Quote by iampeter
yea just do what tom morello does, his is high up onto his mid torso/chest area

playing > looking cool maybe

This may work but it looks really (not cool) the only answer to this I know is to practice only the way you're planing to perform

If you play in a band practice standing up only
btw what ever you learn to play standing up you can also play sting down
but when you learn to play siting down it will take some time to get used to play standing up
Just make sure your neck is high and your guitar's body isn't hanging way below your hips (ie. lame). This allows you more of a 'classical guitar' posture and is more comfortable.
I recommend to first learn the song sitting, then try get it standing. Thats what i do and it works fine
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Ok here is a tip.
Get your guitar as close to your chest adjusting the guitar strap.
Then things will be much more easy if you think it looks lame.
Then you can always slowly graduade to your croch.
Shorten the strap to raise the guitar and practice while standing. Just remember what Satch said about Crushing Day: "Never write a song while you're sitting down because when you need to play it live, you might not be able to play it standing up."
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Wow I never really contemplated this problem.

I ALWAYS play and practice sat down. :O
You Are Reading A True Guitarists Signature. Stop Thinking I'm Not You Know I Am.

Quote by imdeth
Eblast over her face and tell her you need your privacy.
Eventually, if you get a lot practice sitting and a lot of practice standing, you'll be a lot more comfortable playing and writing however the frink your holding your guitar.
Once We Were Anarchists
Quote by Danny7
Eventually, if you get a lot practice sitting and a lot of practice standing, you'll be a lot more comfortable playing and writing however the frink your holding your guitar.

Thats what happened to me.
A couple weeks ago, i couldn't even play anything standing up.
I practiced a lot standing and know i can play standing up nearly as good as I can play sitting.

Practice Practice Practice
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
What i do is for example you learn a new scale or something, practice it for 15 min sitting down, then right after practice the same while standing up for 15 min. If you do that, you get the feel for it right away.