i can get one for about 500

is this a decent amp for high gain metal?

I have never played it...
but i've heard good things..
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
so the general consensus is that no, it is over priced?
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by diofan88
so the general consensus is that no, it is over priced?

Is it new? or used?

I only played one in the store at "store" volume and I liked it..... for a $199 amp. But it ain't a JCM 800 and it ain't clean and it ain't got much gain and one channel is a pain in the ass.
Quote by BobDetroit
Is it new? or used?

I only played one in the store at "store" volume and I liked it..... for a $199 amp. But it ain't a JCM 800 and it ain't clean and it ain't got much gain and one channel is a pain in the ass.

no it is used

ahh

well i would need high gain
and jazzy stuff...

so this seems like it wouldn't fit the bill huh??

as always UG to the rescue
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by diofan88
no it is used

ahh

well i would need high gain
and jazzy stuff...

so this seems like it wouldn't fit the bill huh??

as always UG to the rescue

Definitely not. It's waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too bright to get an acceptable traditional jazz tone out of. And you can do much better for high gain as the Windsor needs a boost to get heavy.

EDIT: Oh, and used, $500 is a total ****ing rip off. You can get the head/cab at GC for $400.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Definitely not. It's waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too bright to get an acceptable traditional jazz tone out of. And you can do much better for high gain as the Windsor needs a boost to get heavy.

EDIT: Oh, and used, $500 is a total ****ing rip off. You can get the head/cab at GC for $400.

gotcha!

thanks mate
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by mmolteratx

You can fix this with about $25 worth of resistors, though it takes some experience.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
You can fix this with about $25 worth of resistors, though it takes some experience.

Yea but I figured he probably doesn't have that experience if he's asking for suggestions here and I don't want to be responsible for any injuries.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I think...

That a decent SS amp is just what you need. All I can recommend is an Ampeg VH/SS - 140C, as that is all I have had extensive time with. I think Randall has some decent amps too? My bandmate has a Crate GX-130C and its pretty cool for gain and more clean tones.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by kyle62
The Windsor is Laney's take on an old-school Marshall tone (think JMT45) - I honestly couldn't think of a worse type of amp for 'metal and jazz'.

Laney? JTM45? It's Peavey's clone of a JCM800.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx

This.

It's a budget version though too, so it's not going to be exactly on
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Last edited by soul.power at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx

Owned.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by mmolteratx

It's not a clone, just a generic Marshall-voiced amp for the masses. And although the JCM800 handles metal pretty well, the Windsor doesn't - cheap speakers and cheap tubes are probably the main reason.
Quote by kyle62
It's not a clone, just a generic Marshall-voiced amp for the masses. And although the JCM800 handles metal pretty well, the Windsor doesn't - cheap speakers and cheap tubes are probably the main reason.

Uh i have to disagree with u here, yes it has cheaper speakers and tubes but it does metal fairly well, and at times it sounds better than a JCM800 imo, i'd rather get a JMC800 though but that's beside the point, one thing to mention though is that this amp doesn't do cleans too well, u have to roll back the volume and tone on your guitar and crank the pre-amp to get a half decent clean
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by Pennderinn
Uh i have to disagree with u here, yes it has cheaper speakers and tubes but it does metal fairly well, and at times it sounds better than a JCM800 imo, i'd rather get a JMC800 though but that's beside the point, one thing to mention though is that this amp doesn't do cleans too well, u have to roll back the volume and tone on your guitar and crank the pre-amp to get a half decent clean

You just made my day!

This whole thread is amazing.

TS, that is such a rip-off its unbelievable, and the opposite of what you want. You are looking for a two channel amp, one high gain and the other clean. That is a one channel amp with low-mid gain.

I suggest you look at a B-52 AT112 with your budget. It will do both cleans and br00tal pretty decently for the price.
get the windsor head and get an avatar cab or something else besids the peavey cab. its awful you will l require a speaker change. also get a 2x12

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
get the windsor head and get an avatar cab or something else besids the peavey cab. its awful you will l require a speaker change. also get a 2x12

Did you even read any of the thread, or did you just feel like posting?
This thread delivers.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

I would be very interested in hearing this mod descibed in more detail. I DO have some experience with electonics (soldering and such) but have never had a chance to apply any electrical knowledge to amps. Would you mind explaining this to me? I'd love to try it.
Its a JCM 800 clone through and through. Only takes a few mods to get it up to its level.

But that said stock it sucks for high gain... It takes all of Marshalls bad quality's and amplifys them ten fold once you kick up the gain.

So if you want it for metal I would look elsewhere..
dude, buy the windsor, yes it can do metal with some help, and yes it can get decents cleans...i have one. and yes you can even improve the sound more by putting better tubes and stuff...you cant get a better half stack for that price..also buy it new from MF. 500 is way too much.