e|2|
B|0|
G|0|
D|2|
A|2|
E|0|

Is that considered Em2 or Em(add9)? Why one and not the other?
Check out my band Disturbed
I would call it Em(add9) just because I don't see Em2 around very often.
Quote by guitar-guy01
do what this guy says, he is wise
its e minor add 9. the reason is a 2 chord is a sus chord which requires omitting the 3rd (sus chords are generally considered neutral chords as they don't contain the defining 3rd) and for this to be Em9 it would need to contain its 7th as well. since it doesn't have the 7th in it, its just a minor chord with a 9th added on to it.
Quote by z4twenny
its e minor add 9. the reason is a 2 chord is a sus chord which requires omitting the 3rd (sus chords are generally considered neutral chords as they don't contain the defining 3rd) and for this to be Em9 it would need to contain its 7th as well. since it doesn't have the 7th in it, its just a minor chord with a 9th added on to it.

So of it were:

|2|
|0|
|x|
|2|
|2|
|0|

It would be an Em(sus2)?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
So of it were:

|2|
|0|
|x|
|2|
|2|
|0|

It would be an Em(sus2)?

That would just be Esus2, but yes.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
the reason its called an e9 is because the f# is an octave or higher than the root note
Quote by Guitar247
the reason its called an e9 is because the f# is an octave or higher than the root note

Not really. It's still a ninth chord if the ninth is in the same octave, or even lower than the root.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane