Well,

I've been in this band since June 16, 2009. Between that day and today we've played 3 shows and have made 6 good songs. Our first gig was on July 17, 2009. It was a Battle of the Bands and we came in the top 3. Our second show was August 2, 2009 and we were the headliners. Our last show was August 28, 2009. We got to open the show up. Throughout the past 2 1/2 months we've garnered 350 fans without ever making generic, radio-friendly music (with the exception of 1 song but it was a tribute to on of our favorite bands not an attempt to "get signed now"). We practiced every other day for 3 to 6 hours.

Unfortunately, we realized there was a crack we couldn't fix. People we didn't know would comment on how great we sounded musically (our bassist, drummer, rhythm guitarist, and me the lead guitarist) but that our singer was terrible. He was flat and acted like an idiot on stage. But the four of us heard him in practice and he was really good but he would go live and suck. My neighbor who has been around music and bands his whole life and who's opinion I highly regard said that we just could make it...if we kicked our singer out. I told the rest of the band (except the singer) and it created a schism. The drummer and I wanted to keep him and work with his voice because we knew he had it it just wasn't coming out. The rhythm guitarist and bassist threatened to leave the band if the singer stayed. The rhythm guitarist is my best friend and the reason I'm in the band. Not wanting him to leave I reluctantly sided with him and the bassist and convinced the drummer that the singer should go. As the show last night was approaching I watched the videos of our shows and I began to agree with everyone, the singer was horrible. The four of us came to an agreement, if the singer was perfect at last night's show than he could stay. Anything else and he had to go. As we were going on stage the bass player pulled us over and said, "forget it he keeps things fun. We're not a signed act, let's just keep him and get him lessons." I agreed saying "that's what I wanted from the start!" Needless to say the singer was horrible.

This afternoon the rhythm guitarist calls me and says "go on facebook." I go on to see that our bassist has completely lost hope in us. He said we only have 1 good song, the other 5 are generic (4 of them really aren't). He said the drummer sucks, the singer sucks, the rhythm guitarist can't keep rhythm and that I try to hard to be good. Than he said he quit. Fine. Than he called the drummer and the drummer said he quit. Than they tried to tell us that we should break up because it would be nicer to our singer than kicking him out because friends are more important then bands. Now I agree that friends are more important than bands. But why break up over one member? I let a couple of hours pass when I called the bassist. I said "if I can convince the singer to get voice lessons can we reform?" He replyed "I would like that "

So tonight I see the singer is on AIM so I start convincing and treading lightly. Then I realized and told him very frankly, "the band is over. but if you take lessons there's a chance we could reform." He asked what happened and I told him the story I told you. He said I was lying to him than called the rhythm guitarist and told him I was lying to him. The rhythm guitarist went on AIM and said, "that was a dick move, you just ruined the band forever you lying pussy."

I don't know what to think. Why? Is it my fault? Why does he think I'm lying?
when that many stupid people are in your band (not including you), it's hard for things to work. If that was their attitude, you should find other people. They're blaming you because they have no one else to blame.
1) You've been together for 3 months and you're trying to make it seem like you're getting somewhere. You played 3 shows. If a record deal is a mile from the start line, you've moved about an inch.
2) You're dealing with your issues over AIM. Never do this. Not with a girl, not with a job, and not with a band. If you're not talking with them on the phone or in person, the conversation is useless. Without tone of voice and/or body language mixups happen. Same with Facebook. Running a band is like running a business. Businesses don't send vital information over the net.
3)Do not mistake somebody who is your friend on myspace for a fan. A fan is somebody who spends hard earned dollars on t-shirts, tickets, CD's, and do it consistently. Do not use false bench marks to measure success.
4) You're 16 years old. Unless you are just remarkably talented, you aren't as good as you think you are. Stop worrying about pushing your band to the top, start focusing on perfecting songwriting and learning your instrument. Short term goals for long term gain. Stop treating your band like it's about to go multi-platinum. It isn't.
5) Find bandmates who don't talk to each other like children. Would you go into business with these guys? If not, why would you form a band with them if you want to make it big?
6) You're judging a 16 year old singer whose balls just dropped a few years ago based on 3 shows done over 3 months. Really? Seriously?
3)
I think it would be foolish to beleive that this will be your last band. (AKA the band that you will ride all the way to your peak)

Learn what you can, and move on. There's more out there, and this is a great stepping stone.

Trust Koslack.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by koslack
1) You've been together for 3 months and you're trying to make it seem like you're getting somewhere. You played 3 shows. If a record deal is a mile from the start line, you've moved about an inch.
2) You're dealing with your issues over AIM. Never do this. Not with a girl, not with a job, and not with a band. If you're not talking with them on the phone or in person, the conversation is useless. Without tone of voice and/or body language mixups happen. Same with Facebook. Running a band is like running a business. Businesses don't send vital information over the net.
3)Do not mistake somebody who is your friend on myspace for a fan. A fan is somebody who spends hard earned dollars on t-shirts, tickets, CD's, and do it consistently. Do not use false bench marks to measure success.
4) You're 16 years old. Unless you are just remarkably talented, you aren't as good as you think you are. Stop worrying about pushing your band to the top, start focusing on perfecting songwriting and learning your instrument. Short term goals for long term gain. Stop treating your band like it's about to go multi-platinum. It isn't.
5) Find bandmates who don't talk to each other like children. Would you go into business with these guys? If not, why would you form a band with them if you want to make it big?
6) You're judging a 16 year old singer whose balls just dropped a few years ago based on 3 shows done over 3 months. Really? Seriously?
3)

This man speaks truth yet again
I'd say you have definite problems communicating with each other throughout your story. Probably because of IM's and facebook.
The first piece of advice I can give you is to sort out problems in person, not Facebook, seriously...
Secondly, it just sounds like you are all kind of immature. "Taking sides" and petty point scoring against each other is no way for a band to work. If I were you I would probably leave and find people you can get along with. I know how difficult it is being in a band with friends, musical arguments always seem to become personal, as they did when we lost of lead guitarist a few months ago. He was my best friend for years and now we hardly speak. If these kind of problems are arising with your "best" friend, a band of 3 months probably isn't worth it.

One thing I would say is that by starting a thread about this, you are continuing the point scoring thing, I just hope to God you won't say something like, "I asked UG and they agreed with me..."

Also, don't judge by Youtube videos, our last gig was filmed and the singers voice in the vid and his voice live were worlds apart, cheap cameras usually make singers sound like crap.
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by koslack
3)

POW! Right in the kisser.

Now that is a reality check, TS.
Goddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd that was to long. You make it seem like 3 months and 3 shows is just so damn awesome. There isn't any chance of you being signed, or even popular. And nobody will tell you anything bad at a show.

To answer your questions: If you think it is your fault, at least part of it is. He thinks you are lying because you are, or he is just immature, just as much as I would guess the rest of the band is.
Quote by koslack
3)

****in bang!
Pretend we're dead..
Quote by Highwaytohell
I think Koslack just won the thread again.

Yes. But we're used to that.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by koslack

Some of the most honest points I've read on UG. Listen to this guy.