Ok found 2 amps I can afford one's a B-52 atx new one the other is a Peavey triple xxx. Is there anyone with experience with these 2 amps the B-52 Atx is pretty much the same as the AT-100 triple rectifier except without the rectifier. Whiich one of these amps is a superior amp? We play some classic stuff and some hard rock borderline metal
Well, I really like my b-52 at 2x12 and I don't really like the peavey's tone as much, but that's just me.
But aren't they pretty unreliable and cheaply made with inferior components or is that all the BS on the web about them
Quote by shredrick
Ok found 2 amps I can afford one's a B-52 atx new one the other is a Peavey triple xxx. Is there anyone with experience with these 2 amps the B-52 Atx is pretty much the same as the AT-100 triple rectifier except without the rectifier. Whiich one of these amps is a superior amp? We play some classic stuff and some hard rock borderline metal

Triple rectifier? What are you talking about? And the AT-X has a rectifier, it wouldn't be able to work without one. I'd go with with the XXX.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
b52's crap out after a while. Peavey's are very reliable. But the XXX sounds cheesy. save up a extra 100-200 and get a 5150 or a mesa.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Don't like the 6505 or 5150 too bassy and too much hum. Boogie's are too expensive right now and have a high rate of failure. At least the 2 that I had failed.
Quote by shredrick
Don't like the 6505 or 5150 too bassy and too much hum. Boogie's are too expensive right now and have a high rate of failure. At least the 2 that I had failed.

Boogies are some of the most reliable amps on the market.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I haven't had any experience with the B-52, but I know of no professional acts that use them(doesn't mean there aren't any, though) so that can't be a good sign.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by shredrick

Boogie's are very reliable and the 6505 and 5150 aren't too bad, plus a noise gate pedal blocks out all the hum pretty much, and hte 5150 isn't as bassy, i love the 6505 though
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
the XXX is more versatile amp in my oppinion. it can be tricky trying to find the tone your after, but once you get used to the eq youll love it. well i did anyways...

id say the XXX is more reliable too, pretty sturdy amp from what ive experienced.

also, if your into all of the modern drop tuned metal/hardcore i did a little tone test vid on the XXX for those styles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpEdG0CQ8Z8
Last edited by mangz_adr at Aug 30, 2009,
peavey 6505 and 5150 all the way and not to much hum at all (and i have never played a B-52 so idk)
Silvertone Paul Stanley SUCKS
Line 6 UX1 (Pod Farm)

COOL
I played an ATX the other day and was NOT impressed at all. I think the AT series are better IMHO. Go with the XXX
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I thought the 6505 was way too bassy and the midrange frequency sweep is weak also. I have to say it's one of the worst sounding amps I have ever heard. But then again sound is subjective
the only B52 that i have ever played on was the AT-100, sadly, the guy who owns that hooked it up to bass cabs, so i didnt find that good of tone
not that i care about the B-52 amps (not counting the cabs though)

im better off with Peavey anyways

i think the XXX overpowers the ATX (just my opinion, despite the fact that i have never heard an audio sample or seen a video of the ATX in action)
compare tubed 100w (atx) to tubed 120w (xxx)
but just out of complete honesty, id pick anything over a B-52, preferably a Peavey 5150, some of the heads go used for about $500 - $600
GEAR
Peavey 5150 (block lettered)
Mesa Boogie Traditional 4x12
Ibanez RG7620 w/ EMG 707s
Ibanez RG7321
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by shredrick
Bought a triple xxx in Dallas 500 bucks Great sounding amp by the way

Glad to hear you are happy with it, drop a set of KT77 in there and it will really open the amp up. You made the right choice, the Triple X is a much nicer amp than the B-52, IMO the Triple is kinda inbetween a Recto, a 5150, and JCM 800, with the active eq on these things all the tones are some where in the dials.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Yeah starting to dig the xxx think I like the loose setting. I have access to NOS tubes here in OKC and was wondering which ones to try in the preamp section of the amp. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks
B-52 fixed there reliability a few years ago. That said I would play both and and decide for yourself.
I just picked up a XXX and Fell in love!
For retube suggestions, I'd check out the kits over at Eurotubes:
(https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=86)

Or shoot the guy an e-mail to see what he suggests; he's pretty knowledgeable and extremely friendly. The only thing to bear in mind is that he's a JJ tubes dealer, so he's obviously going to be recommending those. JJs aren't for everyone, so you should (as with anything) take it with a grain of salt. But by and large, I hear good things about Eurotubes' service and quality.
I played the B 52 AXT 100 at Guitar Center today and I fell in love with it. I messed around with it for about an hour and I'm going to go back and get it tommorrow, well later today (it's past midnight). I was able to go from Wes Montgomery to Dimebag and everwhere in between. The thing is you have to find the subtle nuances of the amp, it is pretty user friendly though. I like to play the medium gain OD with the gain around 3 o'clock and the HiGain channel with the gain around 9 o'clock. Even though it has 6L6 tubes, on the medium gain channel if I crank the mids it sounds to me like EL34's, or at least pretty darn close. It does really good with Joe Bonamassa-ish tones. I like this amp better than a lot of the Marshalls I've played and I love Marshalls. You also can't beat the price tag. It is really a high quality amp. Mike Stone of Queensryche, Wild T and Walker Caine all trust B 52 and now I do too.
Last edited by sirsteven88 at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by sirsteven88
I played the B 52 AXT 100 at Guitar Center today and I fell in love with it. I messed around with it for about an hour and I'm going to go back and get it tommorrow, well later today (it's past midnight). I was able to go from Wes Montgomery to Dimebag and everwhere in between. The thing is you have to find the subtle nuances of the amp, it is pretty user friendly though. I like to play the medium gain OD with the gain around 3 o'clock and the HiGain channel with the gain around 9 o'clock. Even though it has 6L6 tubes, on the medium gain channel if I crank the mids it sounds to me like EL34's, or at least pretty darn close. It does really good with Joe Bonamassa-ish tones. I like this amp better than a lot of the Marshalls I've played and I love Marshalls. You also can't beat the price tag. It is really a high quality amp. Mike Stone of Queensryche, Wild T and Walker Caine all trust B 52 and now I do too.

Voodoo modifications told me to stay away from them in general said the B52's were cheaply made
Look for a used Peavey Ultra+, 120w all tube head. They're about 15 or so years old but they are the old version of the XXX. The gain is smoother, the cleans are less sterile and it's very versatile. I gig mine in a metalcore band all the time and I've had no problems, and it sounds better than the XXX (not to say the XXX is bad though, it's not at all). I got mine for $275 used in great condition.

/shameless plug for my amp.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by shredrick
Voodoo modifications told me to stay away from them in general said the B52's were cheaply made

Why are you bumping an old thread 7 months after TS posted he already bought the amp?