Well, it seems like the V-Series/Palomino Series are the only Crate amps we ever talk about, except for sometimes the Vintage Club series, so I thought: Why not make a thread to cover all the decent Crate lines (tube/valve and solid state). Problem is.... I don't know many of them. I'll update this post as people post information and discuss them. As for my own contribution, here it goes:

Crate V/Polamino Series
Basically the same amp, just different cosmetics (blonde/gold vs black/silver) and made in US/China (Can someone confirm this?), they are both budget tube amps, known for their sparkly cleans and decent crunch. Good for blues and classic rock, they sport 1-4 EL34's (if someone knows what and how many preamp tubes they have, give me a heads up, the Crate site doesn't say.) Models include 5w, 18w (1x12 and 2x12), 33w, and 50w combos as well as 33w (class A) and 100w (class AB) heads, and all but the V8 have spring reverb, as well as 3 band EQ, reverb control, effects loop, and (except for the V16) channel switching. Also part of the series are 2 4x12 cabs (one straight and one slanted) as well as a 2x12 straight cab.

Crate Vintage Club Series
My amp of choice, made in America, very Vox-y sparkle to the cleans, while the cranking it yields a crunch reminiscent of a Marshall. 2 channels (unlabeled, just channel A and channel B), 2 band EQ on the clean (A) channel, and 3 on the "overdrive" (B) channel, with volumes on each, no master volume, footswitchable, and separate volumes on each. No longer in production (and info is scarce), comes in black or blond, and in 20w, 30w, 50w (2x12), 50w (3x10), and 50w head. If you have any more information on them, please pm me, or just post it.

(I recommend a speaker swap with these, mine came (used) with a Celestation V30, and may not sound as good without a swap).

Crate Powerblock Head
Very simple 150w stereo amp head. Has 1 channel, with Master Volume, gain, and 3 band EQ. Other features are effects loop, stereo outputs, headphone jack, and XLR output to run directly into a PA. Decent on it's own, it truly shines by using it as simply a power amp for Line6 Pods, Tech21 Sansamp preamps, tube preamps, etc. All-around good budget power amp, and the size of a hard cover novel at that.

-Bryan
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Aug 30, 2009,
Well, I'm pretty sure the 18 watt and 33 watt palos/vs use el84s. I thought the 100 watt v used el34s and the 50 watt v used 6l6s. Goolz has a v series thread and knows more about them than me.

The GX series is pretty good. Then generally have the same or a similar preamp to the ampeg vh140c. The GX130c is almost an exact copy if I'm not mistaken.

The PowerBlock makes a great clean power amp for dirt cheap. Easy to find them for 100-125 used.

I'm not sure there's anything else worth noting.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Well, I'm pretty sure the 18 watt and 33 watt palos/vs use el84s. I thought the 100 watt v used el34s and the 50 watt v used 6l6s. Goolz has a v series thread and knows more about them than me.

The GX series is pretty good. Then generally have the same or a similar preamp to the ampeg vh140c. The GX130c is almost an exact copy if I'm not mistaken.

The PowerBlock makes a great clean power amp for dirt cheap. Easy to find them for 100-125 used.

I'm not sure there's anything else worth noting.

This.
Thanks guys. Is the powerblock 50w or 100w? And do you have more info on the GX series? I'll probably google it anyway, but saving me some time is nice too.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Oh, and some V series amps and some Palominos were made in the U.S. and others were made in Vietnam (not China[still by communists, though])
Quote by theacousticpunk
Thanks guys. Is the powerblock 50w or 100w? And do you have more info on the GX series? I'll probably google it anyway, but saving me some time is nice too.

The GX came in sizes from 10 watts to 130 watts. Predecessor to the Flexwave series.

Power block is 2x75 watts @4 ohms, I believe.
Since this is a decently put together Crate thread, I am going to bump with a question, sorry if this is seen as bumping a dead thread, but I'd rather post here than start a new one:

How heavy can a Vintage Club 50 watt 2x12 get? Are these comparable to say, a classic 30? Basically I have my clean sound down, and am now in search of some good crunchy rhythm tones. I have an opportunity to get one of these pretty cheap and just want to know if it is a respectable crunch amp? I am happy with what I have now, and if this isn't something I will keep a long time then I don't want it. So basically is this a desireable crunch amp, or just a passable crunch?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I have a V18-212 and a Powerblock. Both are great amps. The Blue Voodoo series is about the only other Crate amps worth mentioning (excluding the blackheart stuff).
Oh wow, I didn't notice that it wasn't that old. I just assumed since I searched for it that it was ancient. Anyway, can we get a little Vintage Club discussion going? I always hear people rave about them, but info is very limited about them other then 'they're great.'

Damn you, Tony the Tiger.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
vc>c30 imo. i have some vc clips on my profile tube, i dont dime the gain, ever.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
vc>c30 imo. i have some vc clips on my profile tube, i dont dime the gain, ever.

Haha sorry to have this convo in two places. You can just post in the WTLTL if you want, I was hoping to use this thread to bring out some possible lurker VC owners.

I will check out those clips.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
the lower wattage v series 33-5 had el84 tubes and i think the v50 had 4 6l6s
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by eyebanez333
I have a V18-212 and a Powerblock. Both are great amps. The Blue Voodoo series is about the only other Crate amps worth mentioning (excluding the blackheart stuff).

This you should add the blue voodoo and maybe the sammy haggar modded "red" voodoo
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
the lower wattage v series 33-5 had el84 tubes and i think the v50 had 4 6l6s

Correct. Except the V50s only use two 6L6's.

EDIT:
V same with the V18...they're a pain in the ass V
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 9, 2009,
I have a Crate VC2010 and a GX130c, both are great amps. The VC does a great classic rock crunch but its kind of dark, and ATM it needs new tubes, the GX130c is amazing though, very middy, kind of like a hot-rodded marshall, with the controls at noon, the gain sounds Randy Rhoads-ish, IE, a ****ton of mids and the subtleness of a buzzsaw. But its good in general.