Hey guys. I'm in the market for a new amp. I've been looking all over for a good tube amp. Basically I'm looking for an amp that's good for multiple genres. Anything from blues and jazz, to alternative and prog rock, to power metal. I don't need any br00tal, since I don't play any death metal or black metal. I have effects pedals, so I don't need a modeler. The amp must have an EQ, reverb is preferred, and 2 channels preferred.

Also, my budget is about $900 NZD (About $600 USD) Also keep in mind that amps are a little more expensive here.

The amps I'm considering currently:

Epiphone Valve Special
Blackstar HT-5
Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12 (Early 90's)
Crate V33

I've tried all except the Crate Club 50. I like them all in different ways, and I'm having a hard time deciding. Also, feel free to suggest other amps.

Thanks.
When you say eq do you mean with the bands or just the knobs like highs mids and lows, cause all amps have highs mid and low knobs lol, i hate to say it but possibly a marshall?
have you look at any of the bugera amps.
they fit your price range and are great.
just checkout the 333, 333xl and 6262
Quote by maowcat
When you say eq do you mean with the bands or just the knobs like highs mids and lows, cause all amps have highs mid and low knobs lol, i hate to say it but possibly a marshall?

That is a completely false statement. May I direct you to one of the more popular tube amps out there right now, the Tiny Terror? It has a tone knob, but no equalizer.
personally i would go with the epiphone...they make good ****e
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Quote by kyle62
The important question...are you gigging or planning to be gigging any time soon? And if so, are you be mic'ing the amps up or not?

I don't plan on gigging any time soon. Mostly just for jamming and bedroom practice.
I believe the Peavey Classic 30 is around that price range and its a great amp, very versatile and takes pedals well, i believe its only one channel though, but i'd recommend taking a look at it
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by maowcat

What wrong with Marshall?

@TS: Blackstar HT-5
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
GO with the crate vintage club....you won't be dissapointed.
The cleans are amazing, and the distortion is good to once you get past 4
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
the Peavey Valve King 112 would be a good choice(not sure what they cost out in New Zealand)

fender hot rod

Fender Champ

BUgera 333XL, 6262, 1990,1960( might be to loud for you. very high gain amps..but can do everything you want)

Bugera V5, V22,V55(vinatge voiced amp. awsome cleans and has low to -medium gain lead channel)would be a good choice for you
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
if you're only going to be using the amp for home use, get the Blackstar HT5.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
if you're only going to be using the amp for home use, get the Blackstar HT5.

yeah man
that or the Bugera V5(5 watt) V22(22 watt)
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
if your good with a soldering iron theres a paint by numbers mod you can do to the v33 to give it a soldano slo preamp. take it from some one who has done the mod himself it sounds killer!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Shrexter
That is a completely false statement. May I direct you to one of the more popular tube amps out there right now, the Tiny Terror? It has a tone knob, but no equalizer.

Umm, if it has a tone knob (even if only 1), that is an EQ. Not a very good one, but it is essentially an EQ. It allows you to tune in your preference of tone, from low to high..
An Epiphone Valve Jr would have been a correct example of an amp without an EQ.

Quote by Pennderinn
I believe the Peavey Classic 30 is around that price range and its a great amp, very versatile and takes pedals well, i believe its only one channel though, but i'd recommend taking a look at it

Classic 30 is 2 channels.
And if it's out of your price range, definately consider the Used market.
C30's are built like tanks and last. So you can find a good one for around $350-$400 US. I think that's around 600 NZD. Within your budget.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 2, 2009,