...so my brother was practising guitar today, and his line 6 spider II was cracking and making weird high pitched noises, then the volume would drop real low then blast again etc.
and we got into a discussion about whether my marshall valvestate sounds worse than his spider 2, i personally think the spider sounds worse, but he hates my valvestate.
Either way, at least we have one good amp, it's a Randall valve (not sure what model cbf checking)

So anyway, what IYO are the worst-sounding amps?
my friend has this thing called a mega amp and it sounds like a duck's fart. no joke.
gear:
Charvel 750XL w/ Duncan SH15
Squier Affinity HSS strat
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
EHX Stereo Electric Mistress
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
my old crappy acoustic solutions amp after it fell down the stairs. sounds like some angry bees in a tumble drier.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
I thought everyone was jumping on the Spider-hate bandwagon but JEEZUS when I played that thing at school...No joke, it was TERRIBLE. And all of the presets sounded more or less the same
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Actually, now that I've remembered. The worst amp I've ever played through was my friend's Squier Champ 15 that comes with the Squier Strat starter pack!

Distortion channel sounds like poop.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by DarkValo666
The Marshall MGs

I'm afraid that I disagree.
The my series is decent. The drive is crap, but the cleans are pretty good for a cheap SS amp. It's no tube amp, but there are tons of older amps that are way worse.

Frontman
Spiders
Decades
Dm20s

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by sammo_boi
you better brace yourself jc

I hate people who jump on the OMG MGS SUX bandwagon. They're decent practise amps with good clean channel. Sure the distortion is digital-sounding, but on the clean channel with a pedal, its a decent amp. I know what I'm talking about. I own one. And a decade, and a nice tube amp. I'm not saying it's awesome, I'm just saying that it gets flames way too much. I'd rather have a MG than a spider as a starter amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Last edited by jc349 at Aug 30, 2009,
Any digital amp. The overdrive is the same clipping pattern over and over again.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
MGs are not digital FFS, they are analog.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
haha, why get an mg when for the same price (maybe a bit more) you can get a microcube or cube?
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
MGs are not digital FFS, they are analog.

Fine original post fixed.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
I hate people who jump on the OMG MGS SUX bandwagon. They're decent practise amps with good clean channel. Sure the distortion is digital, but on the clean channel with a pedal, its a decent amp. I know what I'm talking about. I own one. And a decade, and a nice tube amp. I'm not saying it's awesome, I'm just saying that it gets flames way too much. I'd rather have a MG than a spider as a started amp.

it isn't digital, actually. Only the FX are digital. The distortion is just a very cheap analogue clipping circuit.

The thing with the MG is that it's more the higher wattage models that are the reason people bash them.

I think the older marshall MG100DFX combo is one of the worst amps i've used. I've used hundreds of them and they have all had something wrong with them - typically the problem is channel cross-bleeding so on the clean channel you hear the buzzy angry bees fizzing over the top of your cleans, and you get that brittle plasticcy clean tone underneath your buzzy thin overdrive, but they haven't all had this problem - others have had horribly fuzzed out clean channels, inconsistent volume or power cutting in and out, footswitch channel change/FX on/off not working (either/or really) etc etc. Now the 15 watters are ok for what they are, and actually seem to be more reliable, but for the money you pay for the 100 watter, it's abysmal.

Quote by Jesstaa
Any digital amp. The overdrive is the same clipping pattern over and over again.

what's with all the digital hate in this thread? there are some great digital amps and software amps for guitar out there - just because the ones you see all over the place are the cheap ****ty ones doesn't mean they all suck. You just gotta know how to use them.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
it isn't digital, actually. Only the FX are digital. The distortion is just a very cheap analogue clipping circuit.

The thing with the MG is that it's more the higher wattage models that are the reason people bash them.

I think the older marshall MG100DFX combo is one of the worst amps i've used. I've used hundreds of them and they have all had something wrong with them - typically the problem is channel cross-bleeding so on the clean channel you hear the buzzy angry bees fizzing over the top of your cleans, and you get that brittle plasticcy clean tone underneath your buzzy thin overdrive, but they haven't all had this problem - others have had horribly fuzzed out clean channels, inconsistent volume or power cutting in and out, footswitch channel change/FX on/off not working (either/or really) etc etc. Now the 15 watters are ok for what they are, and actually seem to be more reliable, but for the money you pay for the 100 watter, it's abysmal.

what's with all the digital hate in this thread? there are some great digital amps and software amps for guitar out there - just because the ones you see all over the place are the cheap ****ty ones doesn't mean they all suck. You just gotta know how to use them.

I've heard a few albums and live recordings where digital amps have been used and they've sounded terrible. No digital amp can truly replicate a tube amplifier.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
I've heard a few albums and live recordings where digital amps have been used and they've sounded terrible. No digital amp can truly replicate a tube amplifier.

That doesn't mean that tube amplifiers are the best there is.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
A Kustom solid state half stack with a Boss floor processor thrown into the signal chain. If a sack of hammered buttholes made noise, that's what it would sound like.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by sammo_boi
haha, why get an mg when for the same price (maybe a bit more) you can get a microcube or cube?

my guitar teacher has a microcube. It's simultaneously the cutest amp ever and has surprisingly high volume and great tones for a modelling amp.
Quote by Jesstaa

that doesn't mean they are bad. tubes are not the be-all and end-all, and digital modelling has its uses, aside failing at replicating tube amps.

i've been to many gigs where bands used digital stuff - matchbox twenty were a shining example of how digital doesn't suck - i was right at the front and the sound was still excellent, clear as day, even though they didn't have a single amplifier on stage and opted for guitar rig foot controllers instead.

i also suggest that you listen to books are burning, by XTC (studio version obviously, if you can find it!) - the guitar solo at the end is like a call and response, one guitar is straight into a tube amp, the other is through a korg digital multi-fx. see if you can tell which one is which.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Spiders, Frontmans, starter pack amps, 'Walmart' amps, Behringer amps, MGs, that are the ones I have experience with.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Of those I've used, I've got nominate the Fender Frontman 15 watt thingy I got with my starter pack. Yeah, it's very cheap, but it's very cheap for a reason. It's the definition of "tinny". Not pleasent. I also suspect whoever designed the distortion side of things kept bees as a hobby and decided to embody his love of all things apicultural in his work.

That said, apparently the sound is improved if you take the back off. Whilst there may be an element of truth to this, it is also true that taking it down to the local recycling centre and leaving it there is pretty effective.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Harley Benton's cheapest tube amp. Sounds like a radio with a tin can for a speaker.

I used to the think my old Fender Frontman 15G was the worst amp on earth. But I played it for the first time in about 4 years right before I sold it. It's possible to dial in some somewhat usable tones.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Aug 30, 2009,
sorry funkyducky but i think this is against the rules

so *reported*
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Line 6 spider III is the worst amp everr!!!! i know from experience (too fizzy)
Silvertone Paul Stanley SUCKS
Line 6 UX1 (Pod Farm)

COOL
Quote by BrickIsRed
Harley Benton's cheapest tube amp. Sounds like a radio with a tin can for a speaker.

I used to the think my old Fender Frontman 15G was the worst amp on earth. But I played it for the first time in about 4 years right before I sold it. It's possible to dial in some somewhat usable tones.

Yea i had a frontman 15 G too so yea my life sucks so i bought the 2 worst amps on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Silvertone Paul Stanley SUCKS
Line 6 UX1 (Pod Farm)

COOL
Guys, seriously. read the rules.
1) no hate threads
2) no posting in a reported thread

*reported*
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
my friends one portable battery amp that was like $40. i swear to god i was about to throwup . i thought frontmans, mgs, spiders, etc sounded much better than that piece of crap.