I do not know what type of "style" name you give this type of playing, i have called it "overlap guitar" as two guitarists play two differant rifs in two differant keys at the same time: Zacky and Synster gates from Avenged Sevenfold, do it in lots of there songs. An example of when it is played is in Beast And The Harlot when Gates plays the 1st solo, mid way through the solo Zacky and Gates play the "overlap guitar". On the album version i have (which idowloaded from itunes), the "overlap Guitar" starts at 2:09 and finnishes at 2:15.

My question is:
What is the technical term for this type of playing as i want to learn how it work so i can use it in some of my bands songs as i think it sounds fantastic?

Thanks
Andy
Yeah, harmonizing. Avenged Sevenfold do a lot of it using thirds. Just look up interval theory and you'll be able to nail the basic idea of it
Quote by Marky_Strummer
Also harmonizing. Avenged Sevenfold do a lot of it using thirds. Just look up interval theory and you'll be able to nail the basic idea of it

This.

Off topic, just why do SO many people nowadays think of techniques as 'That thing that A7x does'? Sure, they got some good leads and songs, but why are they given credit for things people have done for many, MANY years?

Last night, one of my friends(who just started playing guitar a year ago) told me sweep picking was invented by Synyster Gates...

On topic again, just learn your theory.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
thin lizzy did it way before A7X but yeah, harmonising
Guitars:
Jackson JS30KE Kelly
Jackson RRX10D
Fender Telecaster American Standard
Epiphone Acoustic
Amps:
Vox DA15
Marshall G80RCD
Pedals:
Boss GT-6
Boss MT-2
Last night, one of my friends(who just started playing guitar a year ago) told me sweep picking was invented by Synyster Gates...

Same thing was with my friends who liked A7X
Harmonising

They don't play in different keys, they play different notes of the same key that are in harmony with each other. Hence 'harmonising'

You've asked this before

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1191586
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I'm pretty sure lynyrd skynyrd was doing it before even thin lizzy lol.I learned to do it by playing the same thing 3 frets high...I think its actually more complicated than that though
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Ts, learn the theory behind the major sclae, you'll need to understand that before you've got a hope of understanding harmonising.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com