Page 1 of 2
Think so. Who'd fake an Epiphone? If you fake, fake a Gibson...
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by LordPino

That's just what I was thinking lol
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
That's just what I was thinking lol

You know what they say about great minds...
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Quote by LordPino
You know what they say about great minds...

that they're even greater with toast?
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
i think it's fake. even if it's not there's something iffy about it

for a start it looks hideous imo, the back is way too dark (the epiphone goldtops are a brownish colour, not pure black - although that could be my screen, which is on a low brightness setting due to my sensitive eyesight), and the headstock looks like a 1990s epiphone - green key tuners and the different shaped trussrod cover like my '99 G-400 custom - if it's new, it wouldn't have the spec from 10 years ago - epiphone les paul standards have had grovers since about 2004.

Quote by LordPino

i thought it was common knowledge that there are hundreds of fake epiphones around. since epiphones are made in china and not really high quality to begin with it's harder to spot a fake epi which makes it easier for people to be tricked into buying a fake, therefore, people make fake epis.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by Mr.Feather
that they're even greater with toast?

Yeah. And butter.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Quote by LordPino

Because it's a well known brand name and a $200 Epiphone would look a hell of a lot more believeable than a $200 Gibson.

And I'm not sure, a "new" Epiphone would have labels on the pickups and plastic on the pickguard. Perhaps ask if it's been demoed in a shop or something.
Also the box it's sitting on should have epiphone logos and junk all over it usually I'm pretty sure.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Aug 30, 2009,
Do they even come with a Gold Top?

I'm actually not sure about it, cause everything else seems to be in check, but if it comes in a different colour it normally says 'Epiphone Custom Shop' or something like that.

And the serial number says it was made in July this year in a factory that hasn't been added yet

I'm confuzzeled.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Blompcube

for a start it looks hideous imo, the back is way too dark (the epiphone goldtops are a brownish colour, not pure black - although that could be my screen, which is on a low brightness setting due to my sensitive eyesight), and the headstock looks like a 1990s epiphone - green key tuners and the different shaped trussrod cover like my '99 G-400 custom - if it's new, it wouldn't have the spec from 10 years ago - epiphone les paul standards have had grovers since about 2004.

i thought it was common knowledge that there are hundreds of fake epiphones around. since epiphones are made in china and not really high quality to begin with it's harder to spot a fake epi which makes it easier for people to be tricked into buying a fake, therefore, people make fake epis.

i thought that goldtops didnt even come in standards
Quote by Lil Macker

I'm actually not sure about it, cause everything else seems to be in check, but if it comes in a different colour it normally says 'Epiphone Custom Shop' or something like that.

And the serial number says it was made in July this year in a factory that hasn't been added yet

I'm confuzzeled.

yeah and it was the 3rd one made
Quote by Lil Macker

I'm confuzzeled.

They do, or at least they used to, but I thought they were reissues of some description and had P-90's. Could be old stock? I'd probably stay away from it tbh.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
They do, or at least they used to, but I thought they were reissues of some description and had P-90's. Could be old stock? I'd probably stay away from it tbh.

its not old stock, its made this year in july, the 3rd one made
Quote by consecutive e

I doubt it's old stock if it was made this year. If it came in Gold, it would be on the Gibson website a bit before it was actually available.

Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Well i'll be damned. Fake epi's. Spose the bit about it being more believable makes sense.

Quote by LordPino
Yeah. And butter.

I'm partial to brain and jam myself
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by slash_dan123
its not old stock, its made this year in july, the 3rd one made

Missed that bit.
Best to stay away.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Blompcube

Yeah I was thinking the same about the all-black back...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by slash_dan123
i thought that goldtops didnt even come in standards

they do sometimes make colours aside the regular finishes and i have never seen a goldtop standard, but the link calls it a 'brand new' standard, in which case the headstock would look like this:

however if you compare the headstock of that guitar with an older model:

i think the person who faked it had an older guitar to copy from, hence made a fake that looks like an old one and tried to pass it off as a brand new one - this guitar would've been more convincing 10 years ago.

edit: a further note, i don't think the old shaped trussrod covers ever said "les paul standard" on them. but i'm not sure.

i think you should avoid it, basically.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 30, 2009,
I would say it's fake. First Epis come in boxes with the Epi logo and graphics. The Serial number on it is sketchy LU is the beginning of most of the counterfeit Epis I have seen.

Here is a pic of an original Epi guitar box:

The problem is I have seen knockoff Epis in a similar box so you can't always be sure.
Is that even a decent price? I'm not sure what the exchange rate is... seems priced high to me. Brand new Epi LP standards are less than that stateside... no?
C.E.G.
Rockin' with a cheap electric guitar!
Quote by Lil Macker

I'm confuzzeled.

i read on the gibson website if you look at the truss rod cover it has 3 screws on real ones only have 2, and yer if the factory hasnt been added its not real
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
There's the trussrod thing, the headstock-neck thing, and the cavity on the back should be kinda sectioned instead of being just a paralellagram.
yeah.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Are goldtops supposed to be that yellow and shiny? Goldtops that I've seen look more "pale."
The back is fishy. Way to black. But it has serial number. Go check it out.
Quote by mamosa
WOw. I bet the people who said it ain't fake feel quite dumb right now

They should feel stupid, regardless of it being a fake or not. It's attitudes like those that make it so easy for people so sell fake Epiphones.
Look at the serial number. LU? What the hell factory is that from?

Also, it was made in July 2009 and it has a non-standard truss rod cover and non-original tuners (should be Grovers). And there are no Les Paul Standards in production right now other than the ebony that have black finish anywhere on the guitar other than the headstock.

Finally, look at the actual screw holes of the truss rod cover. They're farther away from the nut than stock! What's up with that?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
an epiphone guitar would *NEVER* have a gibson trussrod cover on it. and no gibson trus rod covers for an LP have 2 screws. soooo, at best you have a guitar.. that has a fake gibby trussrod cover. like the others tho i'm not sure why someone'd knock off an epiphone.. could be somethin' that someone decided to mess with and tossed that truss rod cover on trying to confuse ya.
Quote by Blompcube

for a start it looks hideous imo, the back is way too dark (the epiphone goldtops are a brownish colour, not pure black
- although that could be my screen, which is on a low brightness setting due to my sensitive eyesight), and the headstock looks like a 1990s epiphone - green key tuners and the different shaped trussrod cover like my '99 G-400 custom - if it's new, it wouldn't have the spec from 10 years ago - epiphone les paul standards have had grovers since about 2004.

I'm not really that up to date with Epiphones and their colors but when the original les paul gold tops were released, there were several released with darkbacks (dark brown near black in color), and they're referred to as darkbacks as such. The Epi might be a copy of one of those.
Quote by I_Fij
an epiphone guitar would *NEVER* have a gibson trussrod cover on it. and no gibson trus rod covers for an LP have 2 screws. soooo, at best you have a guitar.. that has a fake gibby trussrod cover. like the others tho i'm not sure why someone'd knock off an epiphone.. could be somethin' that someone decided to mess with and tossed that truss rod cover on trying to confuse ya.

The older ones do.
*Looks over at 7-string flying V*
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
When someone posts this kind of thread I have never seen a real one. Although the fakes are normally like £20
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by LordPino

It would make more sense to fake an epiphone, cause the thought is that the person buying it will be less learned about guitars, youre more likely to get caught faking a Gibson.
The fact it needs to be shipped into AUS from who knows where would give me pause. And as it is "new" it should come with the epi box, tags, documentation etc. None of the epi goldtop models I could find come with the metal covered humbuckers, the regular goldtop has p90s and the slash model has open humbuckers. Best to stay away from this one.

And faking epis is just as profitable as faking gibsons. The 2 guitars will cost the same to build in china and most knock off "gibsons" arent going for much more than knock off epis. The serial number thing doesnt seem to work so well anymore as its very easy to go write down the serial numbers from several legitimate guitars then just reuse them a bunch of times. Searching the serial number might tell you yea its a real number but probably cant tell that 20 different people have the same serial number on their knock off.
Page 1 of 2