Boring as hell imo

I can't play that fast, and he is obvoiusly better than me, but i think it's mindless shred with no emotion at all
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Quote by Gakbez
Boring as hell imo

I can't play that fast, and he is obvoiusly better than me, but i think it's mindless shred with no emotion at all

Hi, welcome to the shred forum. Here you'll learn interesting factoids such as "the emotion you get from listening to the song is subjective" and "it's impossible to play without emotion".

enjoy your stay and visit the gift shop to find some interesting trinkets to take home to your family and friends.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Amazingly ****e...

You guys get so caught up in 'AWSUMGEETARSKILLZORZ'' that you forget to actually LISTEN TO THE MUSIC!

Just my opinion.
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
and what would you say if one were to actually like the song?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'd say alrighty then!

I don't mean to sound like an ass, and I know my previous comment was a bit unnecessary,
but I was compelled to state my opinion here. And I don't want to disrespect anybody's own opinion
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Sif it has no emotion. The first minute is absolutely beautiful, and the rest isn't THAT bad. I personally like shred...but that first minute is...well I dunno how you can call it "emotionless".
im not a big fan of shred, but I found that was pretty melodic
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
I personally think the ones that come up the whole emotion excuse are just intimidated by what these amazing guitarist bring to the table. Just my opinion though.

Not to mention it isn't like the shred guitarists are the only ones that play fast. Look at some classical music. The ultimate and most used example would be Paganini.

Any how, I have never really liked MAB. Just not my style, I would rather Shawn Lane, Jason Becker or Guthrie, etc etc.

forget to actually LISTEN TO THE MUSIC!

Maybe you are the one not really listening. If you slow down say those arpeggios you will see some beautiful music. Same goes for some of his scale licks he used. I'm not a big fan of MABs playing as he showboats many things(over under for example). But regardless if you really look at some of the music in there you will see some gorgeous music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuPJtyJh3Hk

MAB?lawl.

too much skill to compete with, horrible horrible horrible tone (though he has his better moments) and an overall sense to the song which screams "I'm-stuck-in-the-80's"

Right, all the bashing aside, I liked some parts and MAB as a person seems like a really cool guy.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by CrazehSteve
Amazingly ****e...

You guys get so caught up in 'AWSUMGEETARSKILLZORZ'' that you forget to actually LISTEN TO THE MUSIC!

Just my opinion.

is there something wrong with enjoying music because of how talented a guitarist is and how fast he can play?

i love to watch Usain Bolt because he has "AWSUMRUNNINGSKILLZOZR" and is an extremely talented athlete, does that mean i'm not actually watching the race?
I don't care what people say, Batio rules. He makes it very clear as to his musical aim - that is, to shred like a nutter and play lots of crunchy, heavy shit - and his teaching style is just as good as Gilbert's IMO. Like it or not, the guy's a damn good promoter of himself and guitar in general, and there will always be some of us who appreciate such an anal approach to crafting a technique and signature sound. Think of it like Holdsworth's music or anything else technical like your Beckers and Petruccis - there's going to be demand for the precision-laden stuff, so deal with it.

Don't like it? Go to work, earn your own money and be happy. You gain nothing from being so uptight about "Such unnecessary, unemotional speeeeed grrrrrrrr", and we fans could not possibly give less of a shit about what you think (even if we've eaten a mean curry and it's giving us the ring of fire). There's no need to keep ragging on a decent guy who isn't being a prick of a musician, just because he doesn't play slow enough for your tastes. And don't confuse this post with actually giving said aforementioned shit - consider it a little challenge to anyone who feels they can articulate themselves well enough to justify their overexaggerated aversion to his music. Try it, you may just feel better.

On the negative side of his, though - I still wish he'd put out an entire album of new original material, since it has been nearly a decade since Lucid Intervals. I'm growing tired of the covers, rehashing of old tunes, and emphasis on single songs that aren't as great as he's making them out to be. I just want more of his good old fashioned shred, composed by himself, and not so much of the lame homages to past guitarists.
He has some awesome potential, you can hear his composition skills are amazing in songs like rainforest. If he took some serious jams and put out some jazz stuff it would be guthrie like I'm sure. as far as it goes, I'm not really into patterned solo segments, so speed kills/lives doesn't make it to my most listenable tracks.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
MAB
haha, i take lessons from Mike Guerrero one of his ex students

man all he does is go on about how great this guy is

i can see why
i saw him about 2 years ago
but i just didnt get it

now i do
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I went to see MAB a few weeks ago, i wasn't a fan but my friend had a free ticket so i said i'd go with him.

He did a blues jam with another guitarist and i'll tell you now he can play all the "emotional blues" stuff just as good (or even better) than some of the 'blues legends' that are out there.

I'l admit i'm not much of a fan of his 'fullshred songs' (although i really like the intro to no boundaries) i appreicate that he is a good guitarist and he can pretty much play anything he wants.

Seemed like a nice guy too, he also gave reasons for his show-off stuff aswell.
Yeah I love that song.
The first minute is indeed beautiful.

Then the arpeggios... OMFG, those arpeggios (at around 1.15).. that section is one of the most amazing things I ever heard.

Then the song gets really mindless awesome shred! and then the Pagannini rendition!, then the next small section... then that cool harmonic part, then the tapping and the end of the song. It's a freaking masterpiece.

However, why the hell does he insist on doing that ****ing guitar trick of the hand above and under the neck... it's ok once for fun in the middle of a mindless shredding solo. But this was in the middle of a great song! and noise in the middle of a great song is..... nono

BTW the finish line is AWESOME =O and Rain Forest is amazing too. The melody line is amazing.. specially when he harmonizes it and it's like.. so powerful T.T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2laWV7DqsFc ohh there seems to be a new instructional dvd
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Last edited by Kurai X at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Kurai X
However, why the hell does he insist on doing that ****ing guitar trick of the hand above and under the neck... it's ok once for fun in the middle of a mindless shredding solo. But this was in the middle of a great song! and noise in the middle of a great song is..... nono

Ah, it's that silly Speed Lives version again. The doesn't have any of that trick stuff or noise. It's far cleaner and has a nicer, 'fuller' tone.

Quote by Kurai X
Then the arpeggios... OMFG, those arpeggios (at around 1.15).. that section is one of the most amazing things I ever heard.

Y'like those? Try at 2:27. Clean as a whistle, and tastefully chucked in.

So much for him not being able to play slow.
Last edited by DaFjory at Sep 2, 2009,
I don't really like MAB and I dont understand why... I like shred a little more than is probably healthy and have no issues with the common "hur dur speed is the opposite of emotion" balls but... I just don't like it.

Call it what you will but MABs music does just bore me. I can appreciate the skill and composition and such but... meh, doesn't do it for me.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by DaFjory
Ah, it's that silly Speed Lives version again. The doesn't have any of that trick stuff or noise. It's far cleaner and has a nicer, 'fuller' tone.

The chorus sounds alot like the "18 and life solo"

Sick arp's though
Quote by DaFjory

yeah I know, the amazing tapping he replaced in both speed kills and speed lives for.. noise xDD

Yeahh 2x Again rules too!!
I LOVE the bassline at the beginning... it sounds so familiar!

I know he's clean as hell ^^"
But those arpeggios ar like.. wow, so musical and awesome!
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
i remember seeing him play that song live. it was awesome. it was cool to see him play the double guitars too.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by zorbozate
the.only.thing.that.pisses.meoff=i,m.notas.good,as.him!!!!!!

the only thing that pisses me off is the way you typed that...
Quote by lobster624
the only thing that pisses me off is the way you typed that...

I agree.

Now what I don't like about MAB is his continual shred. I know it is what he is about but some times going really fast makes it sound like ****. Like he will be playing a slow(non shredding) line and he is delivering some nice phrasing. Then he ruins it with some shred. Just kinda like random bursts of shred. If he waited and put it in better spots instead of almost every where I would like him more. That is the main problem that I have with his music.