Page 1 of 2
I'm really stuck on this stuff. I really want a stack, i'd rather not have a combo for the sake of aesthetics plus i'll have a cab to play around with. I've looked at ValveKing's, Windsor's, Bugera 6260's, HT-5's and with everything i've found a pretty major flaw. Any ideas about what i should be looking at or what would be cheapest to get going really well for the cheapest. If you're wondering what my problem is with the 6260 it's that i can't play one before i buy it.
Quote by willT08
I'm really stuck on this stuff. I really want a stack, i'd rather not have a combo for the sake of aesthetics plus i'll have a cab to play around with. I've looked at ValveKing's, Windsor's, Bugera 6260's, HT-5's and with everything i've found a pretty major flaw. Any ideas about what i should be looking at or what would be cheapest to get going really well for the cheapest. If you're wondering what my problem is with the 6260 it's that i can't play one before i buy it.

What are these flaws you're finding? What kind of music do you play? Current Gear? Perhaps a Line6 Vetta or Flextone would do you well.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I play lots of Rock. Just flat out Rock. I love playing Punk-ish stuff like Blink182 but right now my favourite band is Paramore. Hope that gives you an idea, i just want a flat out, no complications, Classic-Modern Rock tone. I play a Vintage VS6 which is a SG copy (but a very good one). Mahogany body, JB &59 pups. The flaws

-Valveking seems to need tubes replaced to sound worth it's price

-Windsor is single channel which sucks because i do like my cleans

-HT-5's are a bit on the quiet side

-I couldn't play a 6260 before i bought it so i'd rather not take the risk
Quote by willT08
I play lots of Rock. Just flat out Rock. I love playing Punk-ish stuff like Blink182 but right now my favourite band is Paramore. Hope that gives you an idea, i just want a flat out, no complications, Classic-Modern Rock tone. I play a Vintage VS6 which is a SG copy (but a very good one). Mahogany body, JB &59 pups. The flaws

The Windsor would be a great choice if it wasn't single channel, sounds like you want something like a Marshall JCM 800 which the Windor is, I'm pretty sure a clone of. A Mesa Dual Rec could be good too but they're just not worth it outside of the U.S.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Is there any way to get cleans out of the Windsor, it looks so perfect except the clean problem. Maybe if i got a Volume Boost pedal and played through that with the preamp on the actual head low it'd be clean, right?
can you go used?
a JCM 900 is with in your price range and Try out some Laneys
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Get a combo. Much more for your money.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Do you really need a half stack? You can normally get combo's around £400 that are much better quality than the halfstacks.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I guess i could get a Combo but that still begs the question: Which one? I think all but the HT-5 comes in a combo form.

EDIT: I like the idea of a JCM900. Also, why would a Combo be any better? Surely with a nice Cab the stack would be better.
Last edited by willT08 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by willT08
I guess i could get a Combo but that still begs the question: Which one? I think all but the HT-5 comes in a combo form.

EDIT: I like the idea of a JCM900. Also, why would a Combo be any better? Surely with a nice Cab the stack would be better.

Peavey Classic 30? with an OD boost.

Orange dual tiny terror? with a cab of course. (I don't know much about this amp, just judging by youtube and reviews it seems pretty good.)

EDIT: Combos are better because, for the price, your not paying for as many components, but, if the amp model in the same (Marshall JCM900 head + cab or the combo) the head and stack will usually be better.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Aug 30, 2009,
Tiny Terror is too small, this will be used live so it needs to be fairly big. Main brands i'm looking at (because my local store stocks them) are:

-Peavey
-Vox
-Randall
-Marshall

EDIT: I guess i could start with a Combo and then buy a nice Cab and hook it up later
This will sound really stupid but could i use my Marshall MG15 CDR as a head? Just because i want to get a quality head so it'll take me a while to save for it. Cabs seem to be alot cheaper than heads so i think i'll get one first. So, would this work, and WTF would be the impedance or whatever it's called of a MG15CDR?
please dont, its just horrible, doesnt have any volume, and when it is at gig volumes it sounds like ****, id bet on a peavey classic 30 with an overdrive
dont get a half stack get a head and 2x12, its significantly easy to transport and looks just as badass on stage

i hate my 4x12

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by nithin909
please dont, its just horrible, doesnt have any volume, and when it is at gig volumes it sounds like ****, id bet on a peavey classic 30 with an overdrive

What are you talking about in the first half?

WtF!? IS THIS ****

**** ****IT MUTHER**** **** FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKK

I WARNED YOU!

BABOON TO THE RESCUE!
Get a head and a 212. You have the pros of a halfstack (easier transport, the possibility of experimenting with heads/speakers, badass looking, and cheaper) but not the cons of a 412 (heavy, big, unneeded)

I advise you go used. Try looking for a used JCM900, DSL50, Peavey XXX, JSX, 5150/6505, Classic 50 or 30 or someting like that.

Either way, you should save a little more than 400-500 quid, you're not gonna get a real good stack with that kind of money
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by nithin909
about the mg, i have one it sounds like ****, you will se what i mean when you try out a few GOOD amps

Incase you hadn't caught on, that's why i'm getting a new amp. Are you saying that if i plugged my MG15CDR into a Cab i'd get no volume or what? It gets loud enough for me without a Cab. Also, i'm just wondering whether i could use it as a temporary head whilst i save for a proper one.
Quote by willT08

Who told you that?
Even if that were true you could use it until you afford the new ones.

Anyway, Peavey Classic 30 might be a good choice.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
Who told you that?
Even if that were true you could use it until you afford the new ones.

Anyway, Peavey Classic 30 might be a good choice.

It does sound good but apparently the overdrive is a little lacking but i assume a neat little pedal will get me into metal territory.
I'd save a little more and try to get something like a second hand Orange Rocker 30 with a cab.
Thing is mate, i'm 15. I don't even have a job. I turn 16 just after Christmas and i'm hoping on getting a job at my local Axe Store. Employee discount *Crosses Fingers* So i want an attainable target in a reasonable space of time. I'm also modifying my Guitar as well so i need money for that as well.
Also, i've been looking at the Bugera 333 and wondering why i've never seen it mentioned on here. From the specs it looks great and at a great price. Any opinions or owners of it?
The Bugera 333 sounds good from what I have heard but people will always question it because it's so cheap.
I'd like to try one (and a 6262) in the flesh if I could...

Where are you based?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by willT08

You're an idiot. I mentioned this SO MANY TIMES in your other thread.

Also, don't post 3 times in a row. It's bad. Very.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Juadafi
You're an idiot. I mentioned this SO MANY TIMES in your other thread.
Also, don't post 3 times in a row. It's bad. Very.

you're the idiot for posting the TS was an Idiot.
feel free to add me
Sorry for that but i'm GASing desperately hard. I'm in the UK. Can't believe i missed that Blackstar combo. However, it seems redundant as i think it is too small for live use. I like this Bugera idea now. Pretty cheap, specs look solid, can get a Cab as well for the same price as just a head
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

you're the idiot for posting the TS was an Idiot.

Oh, bite me.
Ugh.

TS, how do you find ANY logic in saving up twice as much to get a decent head when you could spend what you have now on a nice combo?

If you are buying a half stack strictly for aesthetics, just sit the combo on your cab.

Quote by al234184321512341
Why do people think you need a 2 channel amp to get clean sounds?
And this.
Nice to know I'm not the only one losing patients.

+

???

Profit.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Ugh.

TS, how do you find ANY logic in saving up twice as much to get a decent head when you could spend what you have now on a nice combo?

If you are buying a half stack strictly for aesthetics, just sit the combo on your cab.

And this.

This is definitely an option mate, but it still begs the question, what combo? Currently i'm thinking either Bugera 6260 or a Peavey Classic 30.

EDIT: How good a Mic will i need?
Quote by willT08
This is definitely an option mate, but it still begs the question, what combo? Currently i'm thinking either Bugera 6260 or a Peavey Classic 30.

EDIT: How good a Mic will i need?

Need? Umm, something that picks up sound. The gigs I do sound for every fvcking band uses Spider III's so it makes no difference. I use three for £20 mics for them.

You'll probably want a Shure SM57. They go for £50 on ebay.
Eh, Blackstars are nice amps, but I don't think they are really gig-worthy. Just because it has tubes doesn't mean it is meant to gig.

I suggest you save up a little bit and get a used dual channel JCM 800 combo.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Eh, Blackstars are nice amps, but I don't think they are really gig-worthy. Just because it has tubes doesn't mean it is meant to gig.

+1
feel free to add me
Quote by The_Bosstone

I really don't wanna save up so much just because i'm only 15 so money doesn't come easy, so it's HT-5, Classic 30 or a 6260
I'm 15 too, and I'm working toward a $1500 amp.

Regardless, you can find those JCM 800s for about $800 if you look hard enough.
Quote by willT08

Replacing tubes shouldent be a reason why you wouldent want to buy an amp. The valveking even with stock tubes sounds great for classic-modern rock, since thats what it was intended for. And the 212 version has more volume than you'll ever need. Plus, tubes are cheap, and you'll have to replace them anyway in any other amp you get.
Page 1 of 2