Me and my friends are in a little garage band and I'm the singer. We play allot of metallica. I just can't get my voice to sound good. I know I won't sound exactly like them but I should at least be similar. When I try to sing it's sounds like I'm whispering but it's still loud. My voice is kinda low so I need help improving on the highs. Can anyone help me.

If you could look up metallica demos on YouTube. James voice sounds terrible in all the demos from 1983. Sorry I can't post a link cause I'm on my iPod.
I know I don't have his voice but mine sounds horrible. I'm trying to capture the early metallica sound not the modern sound. How do I get the rasp. When I try to do that it sounds like I'm whispering loudly
how about singing clean, then progressively adding rasp?
my band isn't really into an all-rasp musical style so at first I only sang clean. later I found I could add a bit of rasp, then a bit more and now I can manage a song that's all-rasp.

this route would take a while, though.
smoke. lots. for about ten years. like... 2 packs a day. you'll sound JUST like it, and if you end up in music because of it. you'll thank lucky strikes for your career. if you never get out of the garage it'll be balls, though.
Watch "The Zen of Screaming". I myself don't scream that much, but I got alot out of the DVD and it is heaps easier to do the whole thrashy rasp stuff.
Well It's hard if you wanna sound like the real vocalist… Everyone have different and unique voice, Like our face … So if it's hard to sing, just try another song… But, for me it's awesome if you just make your own song with your own lyric and let your unique voice go along with the melody you've made… Then, people just starting to sound like your voice
James's voice seems awful in all people with 1983. But it does not spoil its songs and music a little.
Quote by AlexiÅkerfeldt
Watch "The Zen of Screaming". I myself don't scream that much, but I got alot out of the DVD and it is heaps easier to do the whole thrashy rasp stuff.

Nice idea, but it's very different from a harsh voice. She teaches screaming in the vein of metalcore vocalists. Hetfield just sings with a lot of power, and when he sings low, his voice automatically goes raspy.