So, I'm getting into this band for Battle of the Bands this year and we've decided that we're going to play heavy metal in the style of Metallica, but I'm going for an Avenged Sevenfold-type tone. By the time BOTB comes around though, I will definitely have my Blackheart Little Giant, and I wanted to know, are there any distortion pedals that would go well with it? I've heard Blackhearts (especially the Little Giant and Handsome Devil) don't get a very good metal sound.
Well I think Synyster uses a JCM900 and their tone comes from A LOT of money and production value but a Bad Monkey might be worth a shot. Don't really have any experience with Blackheart though

EDIT: I noticed you have a Tubescreamer that should be enough to boost most decent amps. If that doesn't do it try a Blackstar HT series pedal I love mine
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Aug 30, 2009,
put the Blackheart the cleanest possible (vol = 2-3)
and use an AMT B1 or R1 for your Metulz.

but you're playing on stage and have (will have) a little giant, which is a loud amp when cranked but you need the cleans of the LG(you can get very decent cleans at low volumes) to get the best sound out of your distortion pedal. So i think you should reconsider your amp choice before you buy the LG

Quote by AxSilentxLine
Well I think Synyster uses a JCM900 and their tone comes from A LOT of money and production value but a Bad Monkey might be worth a shot. Don't really have any experience with Blackheart though

EDIT: I noticed you have a Tubescreamer that should be enough to boost most decent amps. If that doesn't do it try a Blackstar HT series pedal I love mine

Syn uses Bogner Uberschalls behind the scenes.
A7X endorses Marshalls so they could get moar $$$$
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Aug 30, 2009,
I'd rather get a preamp and slave that into the blackstar. Second hand JMP-1, ENGL e530, etc. Will sound much better than any pedal.

Cheaper solution is an OD
WTLTL 2011
the EHX metal muff is an all round legend distortion pedal and works great with my tiny terror

All tho its more of a overdrive pedal it still has good metal tone, the Ibanez Tube King was made for use with tube amps
Guitar - The true Religion
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
put the Blackheart the cleanest possible (vol = 2-3)
and use an AMT B1 or R1 for your Metulz.

but you're playing on stage and have (will have) a little giant, which is a loud amp when cranked but you need the cleans of the LG(you can get very decent cleans at low volumes) to get the best sound out of your distortion pedal. So i think you should reconsider your amp choice before you buy the LG

Syn uses Bogner Uberschalls behind the scenes.
A7X endorses Marshalls so they could get moar $$$$

The thing is though, is that I mostly play blues and rock n roll, and I rarely use A LOT of gain, which is why I'm getting the Little Giant...

But here's an idea. If I have the Little Giant cranked up and I use my Tubescreamer (TS7) along with that with the switch on the HOT setting and the Drive knob decently high (like 8-10), would that be a substantial amount of gain?

EDIT: Or if that doesn't work, I could make the amp as loud as possible while still being clean, use an AMT B1/R1, and then mic it up.

EDIT2: Has anyone heard the song "Little Cream Soda" by the White Stripes? Jack gets a very nice metal sound in that song, and I'm not sure, but he may be using his Big Muff. So once I get my Big Muff, I could try to get a metal sound from it I know that Big Muffs usually aren't used for metal though.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Aug 30, 2009,