Page 1 of 2
What pups should I get? I play mostly melo death, COB , Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames etc. So I want a good, thick tone. I dont mind the Bridge not getting a good clean. But the cleans shouldnt suffer on the neck at least. Budget- USD 220 for two.

Actives would be useful. Be getting a tube amp sometime next year.

Looking at EMG 81/89 and Duncan Blackouts Metal.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If you like the EMG's try an 81/60 combo the 60 has much thicker and warmer cleans imo than the 89/85

A 60? Isnt the 60 a rhythm pup? I play lead. Will it be suitable for solo-ing? On dist, I want a smooth (but heavy) tone. Think Maiden/Dream Theater solo. The bridge should have the metal jaggedness.
The 60's fine for solos in the neck and it sounds a lot better than an 85 for cleans.

If you want bassier distortion, which judging by the people you posted I don't think you do, it might be worth thinking about sticking an 85 in the bridge.
Quote by webbtje
The 60's fine for solos in the neck and it sounds a lot better than an 85 for cleans.

If you want bassier distortion, which judging by the people you posted I don't think you do, it might be worth thinking about sticking an 85 in the bridge.

K....so 60 on the neck. What do you mean, the "people I posted, I don't think you do"?
Also, isn't the 89 the same as the 85? Just with a splitter? Cause the shop I go to doesn't keep 85's, but they have a lotta 89's in stock.
EDIT: What are P-90's?
EMG X!

or Blackouts, 18v modded Blackouts =
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
EMG X!

or Blackouts, 18v modded Blackouts =

Whats an EMG X?
Still...whatever the heck they are....I'm inclined to go with WTF......he's got a bit of a rep here....
Quote by AxSilentxLine
the X series are good pups but a tad expensive

Its only ten more than a non X.....
The question is...what is it exactly? Imean, whats different about it? First time I've heard of them...
EDIT:I forgot to mention- I'll be doing the 18v mod on both pups.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
ahh well over here they are a good $100 more expensive umm I don't know the specifics but the X series are just a higher tier model

http://www.google.com/products?q=emg+60+x&aq=0&oq=emg+60+
WTF???

Hey....will the EMG's even fit in my guitar?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Its only ten more than a non X.....
The question is...what is it exactly? Imean, whats different about it? First time I've heard of them...
EDIT:I forgot to mention- I'll be doing the 18v mod on both pups.

from what ive heard the X series has alot more organic feel than the Sterile Non- X version, it also has more headroom aka better cleans. that can be done with a regular EMG with the 18v mod but if you mod the X version........
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
from what ive heard the X series has alot more organic feel than the Sterile Non- X version, it also has more headroom aka better cleans. that can be done with a regular EMG with the 18v mod but if you mod the X version........

Umm...it wont blow up will it? I was involved in a kaboom in my chem lab last year. Guy beside my blew up his test tube. Thankfully the stuff didnt land on me....but the bang could have given a T Rex heart failure....
EDIT: What about moolah? AxSilentX says they are USD 200. But Google Products says USD 110. How? And what about fitting?

Help the noob please....
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Umm...it wont blow up will it? I was involved in a kaboom in my chem lab last year. Guy beside my blew up his test tube. Thankfully the stuff didnt land on me....but the bang could have given a T Rex heart failure....
EDIT: What about moolah? AxSilentX says they are USD 200. But Google Products says USD 110. How? And what about fitting?

Help the noob please....

have an adult help you modding it.

and its 110 USD for one
feel free to add me
Quote by GS LEAD 5
You mean you'll have to slice up the guitar???

nah

just take off the pups, solder the wires into the pots and you're done.........i think

go to the GB&C. there are alot of helpful guys there
feel free to add me
Quote by GS LEAD 5

What will happen if I 18V the X?

you will have the power to kill small animals
feel free to add me
Quote by GS LEAD 5
LOL
But on a serious note.....will the pups blow up or something?
How about 27V?

i dunno.
check the EMG thread on the GB&C
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i dunno.
check the EMG thread on the GB&C

Theres an EMG thread?
One learns new things everyday....
EDIT: Anyway....to recap....the 60 at N will give a smooth solo tone/good cleans and the 85 in B will give a thick br00t4l chunky jaggedy sound. Is this OK?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
The EMG's are rated at 27V but I doubt you will fit 3 batteries in your guitar lol

Hey...now that you mention it....theres no battery compartment......a tremolo cvity and a thing beside it, think its for the tone controls. Also where will I stick the preamp thingy people call the mothership?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Thanks for all the help everyone.....EMG 60X for the neck and EMG 85X for the bridge.
Else if unavailable regular 60+85 with 18V.

What will happen if I 18V the X?

If you do the 18 volt mod on the EMG X then it will sound like a normal EMG with the 27 volt mod, theres not much difference between the 18 volt and the 27 volt mod, so just use the 9 volt on the EMG X, saves alot of room in your guitar and alot of money on battires, which 9v's are pricey now.
Quote by ethan_hanus
If you do the 18 volt mod on the EMG X then it will sound like a normal EMG with the 27 volt mod, theres not much difference between the 18 volt and the 27 volt mod, so just use the 9 volt on the EMG X, saves alot of room in your guitar and alot of money on battires, which 9v's are pricey now.

K...thanks dude....
The question on tone ^?
don't get EMG'S. Get Seymour Duncan Blackouts (bridge and neck). I find them so much better than any EMG combo and cost less too. They kind of have a passive pick up feeling but the heavy tone of an active p-up.
Gear:
ESP LTD ALEXI-600
Dunlop DB-01 Dimebag Crybaby From Hell
Digitech RP-90
Marshall MG250DFX

24/7
Quote by MGB2
don't get EMG'S. Get Seymour Duncan Blackouts (bridge and neck). I find them so much better than any EMG combo and cost less too. They kind of have a passive pick up feeling but the heavy tone of an active p-up.

18v modded EMG X says hi
feel free to add me
Why not mod the emg x pups for 2 9 volts in paralell so the batteries last longer maybe? Try out the 18 volt with them and tell us how it sounds. If its good, put a switch in for 9/18volt.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Why not mod the emg x pups for 2 9 volts in paralell so the batteries last longer maybe? Try out the 18 volt with them and tell us how it sounds. If its good, put a switch in for 9/18volt.

Point of the switch? It means cutting up the guitar......
If I have to cut it up, I'd rather put in an afterburner.
ATM I'm gunning for a 60X and a 85X. If I don't get them I'll get a regular 60 and 89.
Either way I'll 18V the two.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 1, 2009,
im going to switch out pups as well but cant decide whether an 81/85 or 81/60 will be better. im into alot of black label society stuff and i know zakk wylde uses 81/85 so maybe thats what would be best.

basically i want a real chunky rock sound and real screamers from pinch harmonics. what do you guys think?
Quote by aaron66
im going to switch out pups as well but cant decide whether an 81/85 or 81/60 will be better. im into alot of black label society stuff and i know zakk wylde uses 81/85 so maybe thats what would be best.

basically i want a real chunky rock sound and real screamers from pinch harmonics. what do you guys think?

Either 60/85 or 81/85 .
Oi....I read some old posts on actives. People say that actives don't give much of a benefit unless you have a tube ap. Is this true? If it is, wont it make sense to save some more (from USD 220 ro USD700) and get a tube amp (Like a Bugera or something) and get new pups later?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Oi....I read some old posts on actives. People say that actives don't give much of a benefit unless you have a tube ap. Is this true? If it is, wont it make sense to save some more (from USD 220 ro USD700) and get a tube amp (Like a Bugera or something) and get new pups later?

from what ive heard actives pushes tubes harder so its much more profitable in a tube amp but its still useable in and SS amp.

BTW a new amp is better than new pups because the amp is where most of your tone comes from.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
from what ive heard actives pushes tubes harder so its much more profitable in a tube amp but its still useable in and SS amp.

BTW a new amp is better than new pups because the amp is where most of your tone comes from.

Got my eyes on the Bugera 6260 212/333XL 212. Anything better in my price range? Not a cent more than 700, preferably 600.
Page 1 of 2