Hi guys. Got a small problem with my guitar. the moment i ground my guitar touching it i get a "pop" Hardly noticeable, but very annoying. Now to me, it sounds as there's either a grounding or shielding issue.

The question i have though, is how to solve this. I was thinking of throwing in an 1M res or something to keep the guitar from floating. However, if someone actually has a solution they know work i'd love to hear it. I was also thinking about satic electricity. Could the fix be as simple as just shielding the cavity?

It's a gibson LP and it's shielded just about everywhere.
Actually i had a similar problem with this several years back. I couldnt figure it out. It actually turned out to be my amp.

edit:

my amp somehow wasnt grounded properly
Last edited by ateitup at Aug 30, 2009,
That happens with me too, the trick i find is just to keep your fingers on the strings so it remains grounded.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Sounds like a grounding problem in the guitar to me. Check all the wiring, and the bridge wire.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by end_citizen
You might try doing this:

http://singlecoil.com/docs/silent.pdf

That's genius. But don't single coils buzz because they're single coils? Like because there is no coil that is reverse wound that negate the polarity of the pickup.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
That's genius. But don't single coils buzz because they're single coils? Like because there is no coil that is reverse wound that negate the polarity of the pickup.

You are right, but I suggested that trick to fix the TS's problem which is his guitar buzzing when it's not being touched. That website is helpful, but some of their theory is off.
Yeah I guess it should work perfectly for a guitar with a grounding problem. Like a really quick, easy, and cheap fix that requires no soldering.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack