....a guitar is built out of all Gibson parts, but nOt built on the factory. Is it a Gibson?
It'd be as good as a Gibson but technically not a Gibson.
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
if you are talking about the 250$ pack of Do-It-Yourself gibson les paul than no. And they aren't as good as a real gibson
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
Built ON the factory????

Haha, I joke.

Maybe
Possibely
No.

Because 90% of all Gibsons sold come with 100% authentic cases and the fact that I'm fairly sure Gibson gives the buyer a certiicate of authencity, with the signature of the builder, the luthier, etc.
Depends WHO it is built by, if they are a Gibson employee working to a Gibson standard (*isnt 'that doesnt account for much comment' here*) then its a Gibson guitar

If YOU buy all the parts then no it isnt a Gibson.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Say if a licensed gibby dealer had all the parts and built it to custom specs for a customer. Would it play like a gibby?
If all the parts and body were Gibson (or mahogony body you cut to Gibson specs) but you assembled it yourself(lets say you had luthier experince or something like that) how would that not be qaulified as a Gibson? Just because it wasn't done in the factory and sold at a heinous price at GC?
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
A gibson is when a guitar has that REAL logo on the headstock, and came out of one of their factories, whether custom shop or not.

If you try to make something not made by Gibson, it isn't.

Gibson isn't the best guitar brand, also..

/thread.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
A guitar is called a Gibson because it was made by Gibson. If you make a guitar to the exact spec of with the parts they use in factory it'll still be a copy. I though it should be common sense to understand that?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by djmay71
Built ON the factory????

Haha, I joke.

Maybe
Possibely
No.

Because 90% of all Gibsons sold come with 100% authentic cases and the fact that I'm fairly sure Gibson gives the buyer a certiicate of authencity, with the signature of the builder, the luthier, etc.

no they don`t only custom shop and rarities get a C of A, they do come with a case though...
Quote by Absent Mind
Depends WHO it is built by, if they are a Gibson employee working to a Gibson standard (*isnt 'that doesnt account for much comment' here*) then its a Gibson guitar

If YOU buy all the parts then no it isnt a Gibson.

This, as the assembly would be different, if even only a small part different. It would not be the Gibson standard.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Think G + L here.

Just cos Leo Fender has his name on it, doesn't mean it's a fender.

It needs to be made in the fender factory by Fender employees.

Hence, it must be made in the Gibson factory by Gibson employees to be a Gibson. It might be as good as a Gibson, but it's not quite a Gibson.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
So... you're asking if a guitar that isn't made by Gibson a Gibson?

You can have the best les paul replica made by the best luthier, with the best old growth mahogany, real PAF pickups, Brazilian rosewood, best hardware available, best electronics available, and it will not be a Gibson, because... well, it's not made by Gibson.

It also is worth mentioning that Gibson does not use the best parts available either. Which is why you see folks who have historics swapping out bridges and tailpieces with the likes of Pigtail products, pots and caps with RS super pots and NOS PIOs, and pickups with the likes of Wolfetone, WCR, Throbak, etc. .

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/2947-my-guitar-clinic-59-replica.html

This guitar is probably superior to 95% of all Gibsons ever made, and it is the closest you will get to a vintage les paul for under 20 grand, but it's not a Gibson.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by hminh87
A guitar is called a Gibson because it was made by Gibson. If you make a guitar to the exact spec of with the parts they use in factory it'll still be a copy. I though it should be common sense to understand that?

This.

If you build an LP with the exact same parts and the exact same way, but build it anywhere other than the Gibson factory, then it is just a copy. Not to say that you are taking much away from it though. The Gibson name doesn't mean much IMO, they have put that name on crap before.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Cliffnotes: There is a difference between a Gibson brand guitar and a guitar made with Gibson brand parts.
A Guitar Is What You Make It.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
so if a person had come across a completely disassembled Gibson guitar, then put it together, it wouldn't be a Gibson?

This thread is being filled with fail
No, it has to be built by them
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
i think so, sure. if you gather up all fender parts (even a "loaded" body on ebay) and put a fender neck on it, it's still a fender to me. a guy on here gathered up all the parts to build himself a nice charvel. i dare you to pick it out from a line-up of factory made charvels.

Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
Gibson isn't the best guitar brand, also..

and nobody said that at all. i don't think TS wanted a brand war, just asked a question
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
it would be exactly like a gibson so to you, it shouldnt matter

just curious ts what are you doing with this?
Does it matter?
It's gonna be a great guitar, that's what's important.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Shouldn't this be in the pit?

This thread goes nowhere, and you have no intention to make anything out of this.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by hminh87

Right on!
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by Tedward
so if a person had come across a completely disassembled Gibson guitar, then put it together, it wouldn't be a Gibson?

This thread is being filled with fail

I agree with this though....say you mod your gibson with emgs or whatever its still a gibson.....it would be like taking every interchangeable part off at the same time and upgrading....

This thread is stupid....I was waiting for a purpose to all this and it never happened
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think