wha? Aren't they things you get on your teeth? Am I missing something?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I believe the plates were used before people started popping and slapping an' stuff. Same with the plates on old Telecasters - there just wasn't any string muting done back then, unless you sound jamming some felt into your guitar to mute it for surf rock.
Ah, right, sorry...

They're just for decoration really. I've seen people rest their hand on them while slapping though.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Huh, I've never heard them being called dental plates, just pickup covers.
dental plates?? they are p-up covers or bridge covers(the bridge covers have been called "ashtrays" because that's what most players used them for, back in the day). they are completely cosmetic. most people remove them. btw dental plates are a term used for dentures or false teeth, not bridge covers. (i was a dental technician for 12 years).