When you're on a £100-200 budget, you're into metal and rock but you also want a guitar that sounds good on a clean setting as well as a distorted setting.

I usually have a melodic yet heavy style, like Fightstar but in a higher tuning and not as Emo. I also play alot of Megadeth, Metallica and 80's thrash.

It may sound impossible to get a guitar that does all of that, but seen as though you're the experts (this is my first post) I thought I would ask and see what people suggest.

Quote by Headcrusher!
When you're on a £100-200 budget, you're into metal and rock but you also want a guitar that sounds good on a clean setting as well as a distorted setting.

I usually have a melodic yet heavy style, like Fightstar but in a higher tuning and not as Emo. I also play alot of Megadeth, Metallica and 80's thrash.

It may sound impossible to get a guitar that does all of that, but seen as though you're the experts (this is my first post) I thought I would ask and see what people suggest.

Dinky?
Schecter?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Save one hundred more pounds to get the Washburn X200 Pro E
Last edited by Baby Joel at Aug 30, 2009,
Cort X-2 would be best but one of the Vintage V100s would suit if you want more versatility and a Les Paul shape. At under £200 there are not many options that would suit what you want but a lot of poor quality 'starter' type guitars that you shouldn't give a thought to.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Thanks Laguna guitar, I was thinking of getting an ESP but I didn't think I had the money, thank you very much indeed.
I would definitely save up and buy a decent explorer (EX-401SM or so). I don't think any big companies' guitars below the ~£400 mark are worth it. Smaller companies like Schecter or Agile make some awesome guitars at reasonable prices though.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
There are so many different guitars that it is just difficult to choose one, I'm having this problem too. The ESP F-100 is ok for metal but it has pretty poor pickups. I suggest an Epiphone because they're basically cheap Gibsons, and a Gibson Les Paul is probably the exact thing you're looking for. But I dunno. Try a Yamaha Pacifica too, it has a humbucker in the bridge for the heavy stuff and two single coils for all your cleans. It's a strat copy but way better than a Squier.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Save up your money and get a Schecter C-1 Blackjack. It's a very versatile guitar.
Sounds excellent for cleans as well as distortion? Well that would be an Ibanez or any other kind of super strat. If you get a hardtail you can mess with the tuning all you want as well
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Nice find
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Or you could get a Kramer, My mate has a FR44OS that slays and it cost him only £200, its got a floyd rose aswell, V shaped body and it looks ok but for £200 you cant go wrong
I've seen some good deals on Lags recently. That's what I'd go with on that kind of a budget.

e.g. http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=10613

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=10242

i haven't bought from them before, by the way. I think i've been in the physical shop, though. And at that kind of price you'd want to check that they're not b-stock or something like that. They ship to the UK, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got one of those cheaper kramers (a striker) and i never thought it was that great. If you ask me, those lags kill them, assuming the ones that website has for sale are of similar quality and in similar condition to the ones I tried.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Headcrusher!

Lolwut?
I get the feeling you haven't a clue what emo is.

Anyways, Vintage makes some good guitars for cheap in the UK.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU

I get the feeling you haven't a clue what emo is.

You're right I don't and tbh I wish for it to stay that way.
Quote by jonathan666666
www.rondomusic.com look for the WT-460 flying v its amazing its like $160! but the v arms might get chipped in the mail like mine but i just used nail polish to fix it.

He is in Europe so that's out of the question.
Look into Vintage. They tend to be very cheap (about £100-£200 for their core models and £200-£250 for their 'Advance' line) and are on-par with Epiphone/LTD/Rally/Indie/Agile/etc. In fact on the Advance series, their hardware is far better than the hardware on nearly every other brand (though Epiphone's hardware can just about match it). Their pickups are also better than the ones in most cheap guitars and their woods and build quality is really good on the Advance models.

Take a look at the Vintage Advance guitars, see if there is anything that takes your fancy. Ignore their listed prices, those are just the RRP's that no store sells them at (e.g. their '£429' AV1 Les Paul copy actually costs about £220 on most online shops).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The best advice I can give you is to go out and try as many guitars as you can in your price range and see if you like them. Do not rule out used. You can score a decent guitar for 1/2 to a 1/4 or the original price. I have scored guitars used for $100.00 that originally went for 5 or 6 hundred bucks. Buying on line is a crap shoot. You can score decent guitars but without being able to try them you take a chance you might not like the guitar. At least if you find a guitar you want to order see if you can find a similar one to try local.

John
Quote by MrFlibble
Look into Vintage. They tend to be very cheap (about £100-£200 for their core models and £200-£250 for their 'Advance' line) and are on-par with Epiphone/LTD/Rally/Indie/Agile/etc. In fact on the Advance series, their hardware is far better than the hardware on nearly every other brand (though Epiphone's hardware can just about match it). Their pickups are also better than the ones in most cheap guitars and their woods and build quality is really good on the Advance models.

Take a look at the Vintage Advance guitars, see if there is anything that takes your fancy. Ignore their listed prices, those are just the RRP's that no store sells them at (e.g. their '£429' AV1 Les Paul copy actually costs about £220 on most online shops).

i think the prices have gone up a bit recently, i haven't seen any as cheap as that for a while (on ebay stores, anyway). i'd also say that on the ones I've tried, the QC has been a bit variable- try before you buy (which also means you likely won't get the best prices).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?