How do you record an electric guitar, I want to make my own music and make covers of songs but I don't know how to record my guitar.
Get a recording mic, and to start out, download Audacity.

A cheap but good recording mic will cost you $100-200.
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
u could get something as simple as a guitar adapter to go right into the pc and download an amp emulator, or get a crap usb mic and mic ur amp, or get a good mic and pc interface.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I bought a 10 dollar mic, and downloaded audacity, the mic works fine, dont need a 100-200 dollar one. Just need to know where to place it, how loud to have it, etc etc.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Experiment!
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by sir awesome
dont ask me!!!

?? Don't freaking post crap answers like that, dude.

Anyway, it depends on how serious you are/will be. If you just want a few riffs here and there, I'd go with something like a usb-mic, or a direct guitar->pc adapter.
If you want to be more serious, I'd suggest getting a proper interface (basically, an external sound card), a good mic and acquire some good software.

I don't know about usb-mics or those adapter thingies (I think I saw one of those for like 30$ somewhere?), but a nice interface with multiple inputs/outputs etc will probably cost you anywhere from 150 to 300 dollars. Double that for a good microphone, and you're set to go.
You can get things like a Line 6 Toneport which records playing straight to your PC in good quality. Obviously if you're playing with a band this will be hard because it just records the guitar so you will have to record everything seperately and merge it together. Some effect pedals also come with this feature built in, like Zoom G2.1U and lots more.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
i use my webcam mic and record it in abelton live 8 as i can then add drums and stuff to it
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
Quote by Y00p
?? Don't freaking post crap answers like that, dude.

Anyway, it depends on how serious you are/will be. If you just want a few riffs here and there, I'd go with something like a usb-mic, or a direct guitar->pc adapter.
If you want to be more serious, I'd suggest getting a proper interface (basically, an external sound card), a good mic and acquire some good software.

This.

If you are going serious, the Toneport would be good for you as mentioned before, I'd prefer Guitar Rig 3. A bit pricey, but that's only if you get it legally...
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by Shazazmic
Get a recording mic, and to start out, download Audacity.

A cheap but good recording mic will cost you $100-200.

I use a shure sm-57 and it was only like 70 bucks and I think it sounds amazing....100-200 for starting out isn't nessisary....

I'd use more money getting a drum machine man...cause your gonna need it...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
If you have a line-in port in your computer, you can plug your amp's out/recording/headphones jack into it and record on a program like garage band or audacity, which are free. If you want a bit better, more genuine tone, you can buy a cheap good mic (shure sm57, sm58) and mic a cab or combo. In my experience, line-in recording sounds pretty damn good. Some people say it's ****ty, but if you use the amp as a preamp, it sounds good,.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
The Line 6 PODX3 can direct record to a computer. It's good stuff. But expensive.

If you want to buy a mic, at least buy one over 65 bucks. Everything below is terrible.
get a sony lightsnake

it's a 50 euro cable that you can connect to your guitar or your amp and goes into a USB2.0 port for your pc.

i have one but didn't had any time to try it out

probably you'll need some software for recording and maybe also an amp simulation programm if you record without an amp
Quote by steven seagull
Howver, Spider have pretty lights to keep kids with ADD occupied.

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+