hey, i really want to start playing the ukulele. i have a soft spot for them. But, i don't know jack **** about them.
so...
what is the difference between a baritone, and a tenor? Do they have nylon or steel strings, or could i choose between the two? do they make any with more than 12 frets? How much could i get a decent one (decent meaning something with better quality than for a beginner, but still a low-ish price,) for at my local music store? and am i even spelling UKULELE correctly?

thanks for your time.
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
you don't need more than 12 frets on a ukelele. It's not exactly for shredding
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
you don't need more than 12 frets on a ukelele. It's not exactly for shredding

i know. i was just wondering
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16

RIP Rev
50 quid would be enough for a mid rangeish one
i don't know how much that is in dollars soz =>

most ukes dont play very well past 12 anyway, so dont look at that as a selling point
Quote by damian_91

lol wow man.
but see, i'm not gonna be playin hardcore riffs and badass metal on my uke... that's just me. lol. that was funny though.
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16

RIP Rev
I got a cheap one and it's shit.
I mean, worse than getting a cheap electric guitar as a first instrument.

The sound is really pretty when you get the most of it, though.
I would get one myself, but it turns out I'm not a fat hawaiian.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Cous Cous =>
50 quid would be enough for a mid rangeish one
i don't know how much that is in dollars soz =>

most ukes dont play very well past 12 anyway, so dont look at that as a selling point

Unless you're getting phenomenal deals 50 quid wouldn't quite be mid-range. I bought my first one for about 150 euros, which I admit is quite pricey for a first uke, bit it was definitely worth it. TS I would advise you to go for a soprano uke, they're the smallest and the most common. Google 'ukulele underground' for a good uke website. Also pronounce it 'oo-koo-le-le' not 'you-koo-le-le' as that is the correct way (pedantic I know, but it grinds my gears when people say youkoolele'.

Also: http://batonrougeguitars.com/cgi-bin/site.pl?lang=en&request=ukulele&path=gitarre_ukulele/ukulele/u5s.html
Quote by ctb
I got a cheap one and it's shit.
I mean, worse than getting a cheap electric guitar as a first instrument.

The sound is really pretty when you get the most of it, though.

Yeah. My sister bought a cheap one and the strings go out of tune as soon as you let go of the tuning peg
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Kensai
I would get one myself, but it turns out I'm not a fat hawaiian.

This.

Wait...

Erm, on topic, i've sort of been considering one. I'm not exactly sure why. I think that i might be experiencing some sort of puerile comedy in the fact that they look like small guitars.

You can get Ashton ones for £20 and they're pretty much ubiquitous. I imagine that they're bad, but i wouldn't really know what to look for in a ukulele.

Edit: perhaps they're good for overdubbing certain guitar parts? Or for playing some short/simple lead licks?
Yes, I use a Squier bass.

Quote by ccam555
0/10.

- Looking to improve this somewhat.
Last edited by prt1990 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah. My sister bought a cheap one and the strings go out of tune as soon as you let go of the tuning peg

exactly... i don't want this to happen lol.
but... i'm not gonna be a die hard ukeleleist (wtf would you call it?)
i just want to learn another instrument... and i think they look fun as hell, and simple to play.
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16

RIP Rev
Quote by Kynyster_K
exactly... i don't want this to happen lol.
but... i'm not gonna be a die hard ukeleleist (wtf would you call it?)
i just want to learn another instrument... and i think they look fun as hell, and simple to play.

Dunno how simple they are, but I agree and I've been curious about learning to play ukulele too.
http://www.lanikaiukes.com/ Another company that makes decent starter ukes. Basically you want anything that is made from a nice wood (whatever you think is nice basically, although the common consensus is koa>all). Ukes are tuned to essentially take the bottom 4 strings from a guitar, move them up 5 frets, and use re-entrant tuning so the top string is an octave high. Due to this system you can play the bottom 4 strings as if they were a guitar and make regular chords, though you have to remember you're not in the same key. Basically that sums up how to play ukulele to a decent ability.

i.e.

-----3------
-----0------
-----0------
-----0------

is what you play on the highest 4 strings of a guitar for a 'G' chord. On a soprano uke this is a 'C'.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Aug 30, 2009,
Ebay dawg. There's this one seller in particular called musicguymic. I'd recommend a Kala or Lanikai. Now, a baritone is essentially a guitar without the low E and A, so I don't know about that. Concert and soprano ukes are tuned GCEA, but with the G an octave higher than you'd expect. If you get a tenor uke, you can get a low G so they'll actually be in order. Easier to adapt to, etc, although it depends on what you want.
Quote by blynd_snyper
http://www.lanikaiukes.com/ Another company that makes decent starter ukes. Basically you want anything that is made from a nice wood (whatever you think is nice basically, although the common consensus is koa>all). Ukes are tuned to essentially take the bottom 4 strings from a guitar, move them up 5 frets, and use re-entrant tuning so the top string is an octave high. Due to this system you can play the bottom 4 strings as if they were a guitar and make regular chords, though you have to remember you're not in the same key. Basically that sums up how to play ukulele to a decent ability.

i.e.

-----3------
-----0------
-----0------
-----0------

is what you play on the highest 4 strings of a guitar for a 'G' chord. On a soprano uke this is a 'C'.

Cool. Do you play ukulele?
Quote by damian_91

love how he spits in a "cup" before he starts.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by nalyd
Cool. Do you play ukulele?

I do a bit. I picked one up when I was bored to see if it could help me with my guitar playing and general musical ability. I find it did, especially with theory. I'm by no means good but I can jam out a few tunes pretty well.
so... what about the strings? are they all nylon??
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16

RIP Rev
Quote by prt1990
You can get Ashton ones for £20 and they're pretty much ubiquitous. I imagine that they're bad, but i wouldn't really know what to look for in a ukulele.
That's the one I have. ROFL.
At least it's one of the nice coloured ones, brown.
ok. i thought so. they just had that nylon sound to me.
hey thanks alot man.
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16

RIP Rev
Quote by ctb
, that's hilarious out of context.
Quote by ctb

Haha, is it good?

Taking into account the price, of course.

Quote by ccam555
0/10.

Quote by prt1990
Haha, is it good?

Taking into account the price, of course.
It won't tune up to the right pitch. Therefore I have to have it an octave down. I'm sure that it's not at the right pitch.

And the strings are SO, SO loose. It sounds awful.
Im considering getting one too. Here is all I know.

They're tuned G C E A, with the C being a middle C and the G being higher than the C and E.

The sizes are, in order from shortest to longest, soprano (standard), concert, tenor, and baritone.

And thats about it lol.
my brother has one. he plays here comes the sun over and over and over and over. it's all he knows. and he can't tell when it's out of tune until if REALLY far out of tune. they're kinda cool tho. my brother got his for 50 USD and it sounds alright.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Quote by ctb
It won't tune up to the right pitch. Therefore I have to have it an octave down. I'm sure that it's not at the right pitch.

And the strings are SO, SO loose. It sounds awful.

Ah, seems like the sort of thing that i should purposefully miss out on.

Thanks for the tip dude.

Quote by ccam555
0/10.

Quote by Kynyster_K
hey, i really want to start playing the ukulele. i have a soft spot for them. But, i don't know jack **** about them.
so...
what is the difference between a baritone, and a tenor? Do they have nylon or steel strings, or could i choose between the two? do they make any with more than 12 frets? How much could i get a decent one (decent meaning something with better quality than for a beginner, but still a low-ish price,) for at my local music store? and am i even spelling UKULELE correctly?

thanks for your time.

baritone is lower and bigger.
nylon or steel depends on the make,
but they usually are completely interchangeable,
nylon is by far the most common.
and I say a decent one will run you 75 to 100.

I own a kamaka ukulele which is one of the best money can buy.
its pretty old, but still plays like a dream.
I prefer guitar, but its fun to **** around on.
I've got three total, but I don't really play it outside of my room
because every in this damn state has one
and they only want to hear reggae.

lanikai is a pretty good beginner ukulele.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

If you get one and don't learn Tiptoe Through The Tulips, I will hunt you down.
Quote by damian_91

Fake IMO..

Is he honestly plugging an input into that uke that has rubber strings?

Plus, the music sounds exactly like guitar pro.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
Fake IMO..

Is he honestly plugging an input into that uke that has rubber strings?

Plus, the music sounds exactly like guitar pro.
It's fake.
i bought a uke then made a custom nut for it so it went from thickest to thinnest (string wise) and then put it in Drop D with gauge 10 Dunlops and played trivium on it it was fun .... then i got a 6 string one for 10 euros on a holiday ... and smashed it ... it was ****ty didnt stay intune and i couldnt fit it in my suite case so it had to be smashed
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
I bought a ukulele...it ruined my life. Don't do it.

horrible, plinky noises...

the memory still haunts me

but i can still play some uke chords, but my new small annoying instrument of choice is a mandolin. Mandolin > Uke imo, cause ukes may be more fun but mandolins are more useable.