I've been searching through musician's friend to find a guitar with a compound radius and no locking tremolo, and I think i've found it. It's a Jackson DKMGT Dinky (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMGT-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-w-EMGs?sku=520314). The only downside about this guitar are the active pickups; the thought oh changing a battery in a guitar isn't very appealing. Any opinions on it?

Also, If I were to swap the EMG's out for passives, do you think I could sell the EMGs for a decent price?
Last edited by uptheirons95 at Aug 30, 2009,
As far as the active pickups go, changing the battery isnt too bad. Depending on how much you play, you may only need to swap out the 9v maybe once a year. Just make sure to unplug the instrument cable from your guitar whenever you are done playing.
The batteries to power EMG's have a 3000 hour operation time. It's nothing to worry about. Just unplug your guitar every time you quit playing.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
You don't need to change the battery every month or something; One set could last you a long time. A friend of mine had one battery last him 2 years.

The EMGs are actually pretty nice. Change them out if you want, I guess. You could probably get enough from the set and a battery included for like, 80 bucks.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
OK, I didn't realize the batteries had such a long life span. I've heard that EMG's have really nice distorted tones, but pretty poor cleans. How versatile are they?
Quote by uptheirons95
OK, I didn't realize the batteries had such a long life span. I've heard that EMG's have really nice distorted tones, but pretty poor cleans. How versatile are they?

Some people think they sound 'sterile', but you can get pretty sweet cleans when you roll off a little volume. They make for nice jazz cleans IMHO.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMGT-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-w-EMGs?sku=520314
I assume this is the guitar you're getting. (your link is broken )

Personally I love my Schecter hellraiser, I know it is suggested all the time but for the price it truely is an amazing guitar. Plus not only do you get EMG's but they are also push-pull volume pots which switch each individual pickup from humbucker to a single coil sound iirc. The neck is a bit thicker and seems to be the perfect amount for my hand. I get cramps when i chord on my ibanez but it is very comfortable on the schecter.
I think the cleans are fine on EMG's, you just have to tweak with the knobs a little bit before getting your desired sound. This is where the push pull pots on the schecter really make a huge difference in sound.

Also try and play these guitars at a local shop or something. After playing around with the guitars for a while you should be able to notice the different characteristics in a passive pickup vs an active pickup.
Last edited by Thean4rchist at Aug 30, 2009,