I do ask for a bit of advice in this thread, it isn't just random picturs, I assure you.

As far as I can tell from the raised logo on the headstock and the thinner control panel, this Hofner 500/1 bass was made in about 1964:

Soon this bass will be leaving, it was given to me by my dad, but as a Rock/Metal player, it has little practical use to me, my plan is to part exchange it for a Wawrick Corvette, good idea no?

These pics are going to be sent to some stores around the London/Herts area to see how much I can get for it. I thought you might like to see the bass before it goes, it is quite an iconic bass.

There are a few problems with it however, the bridge pick up needs rewiring, the jack needs replacing too and, well, this is what the controll panel looks like:

Someone also seems to have drilled a strap button hole into it (normaly this bass used an acoustic guitar style strap)

So I get to my main point, how much should I take for it? I've seen perfect examples of these basses being sold in London for £3000, but mine is not perfect, so how much should I take? I at least want enough for a Wawrick Corvette. Any advice at all from you guys would be most helpful.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Aug 30, 2009,
Idk how much a warwick corvette costs but I'd say between 2000-2500 since it's not in perfect condition.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
real 1964 Hofner 500/1 "Beatle" basses are valued at $3500 to $4000(USD) for excellent condition. i think you could get a Corvette and some cash to boot. you'll probably be better off selling it outright though, then go buy a new bass using the power of "cash money" to get the best price. don't worry about small defects like that screw hole. your bass appears to be in excellent condition. good luck.
It is a very nice bass though, IMO
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
It is a very nice bass though, IMO

Looks it, but tbh, they play terribly...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
hmm

I wish my family would give me expensive stuff, then allow me to sell it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
hmm

I wish my family would give me expensive stuff, then allow me to sell it.

My dad bought it back in the 70's for £25, said I could have it if I stayed with Bass for long enough.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
wow it'd keep it if i were you, but thats your call
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
Quote by ChemicalFire
My dad bought it back in the 70's for £25, said I could have it if I stayed with Bass for long enough.

dang...I should start buying some really cheap basses right now and then maybe in 40 years I can sell them for enough money to buy a Porsche
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Yeah, you can never know what people will think about vintage Behringer in 30 years :')
Quote by xtala
Yeah, you can never know what people will think about vintage Behringer in 30 years :')

maybe 2 will still work...

sounds pricey to me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i think some thunderbirds should have a much better chance than behringers
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Keep it
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
I'll trade you my Fender P-deluxe, all my friends, and my happiness for that bass!

I'd so love that bass @_@
Try adding more delay.
Honestly? This bass was a really low rent instrument at the time. The tone is really not that great and to find one that well preserved is unusual; they didn't take constant playing well. The desirability of the bass along with its relative rarity has driven up the cost over the years.

Now if it was a Fender of that vintage....I'd be over that like white on rice.
Make a right handed replica of Paul MCartneys with the Beatles set list on the side. It can only get more valuable.....
Quote by anarkee
Honestly? This bass was a really low rent instrument at the time. The tone is really not that great and to find one that well preserved is unusual; they didn't take constant playing well. The desirability of the bass along with its relative rarity has driven up the cost over the years.

Now if it was a Fender of that vintage....I'd be over that like white on rice.

You've nailed it well their Tams, Hofners were starter instruments; McCartney had one because that was all that he could afford at the time.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by ChemicalFire

he's cool with you pawning it off for something new and shiny?

Don't get me wrong, I'd do the same if I were you, but my dad would probably sh!t a brick
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by NakedBassist
he's cool with you pawning it off for something new and shiny?

Don't get me wrong, I'd do the same if I were you, but my dad would probably sh!t a brick

Nah he's cool with it, he's a guitar player and hasn't touched the thing in at least 20 years. It's just been gathering dust... and value...

Quote by DisarmGoliath