Page 1 of 2
OK, i'm hoping someone will be able to suggest a way to help, but i'm not holding out much hope.

Basically, a while ago i was stupid enough to buy a marshall MG100HDFX head and cab, now i'm suffering the consequences. Problem is, my dad won't let me sell it, says it's my own fault and serves me right (it's true though )

So my plan is to find some way of improving the tone etc. on that amp until i can afford a new head/new amp altogether....

So, any suggestions? I don't know much about amps (as proven by my thinking this sounded good) or how to improve the tone on this.... I was hoping some kind of eq pedal or just a good pedal to improve the tone - i play rock (like ACDC, Guns N Roses) and metal(Trivium, BFMV etc.) mainly, and i'll be using it for gigs, so i want a good tone...

Please help, if it's possible to improve it, and please don't just come in to say how **** the amp is, i realise that now >_<

Cheers, ir0nmaid3nfan
Idk, I bought a DS-1 and used it on the clean channel. Just get a good distortion pedal i guess.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
DS-1 is pretty bad. Don't.

Buy a Line6 Pod and play it through the CD-In on the amp. My sisters boyfriend does that and it sounds okay. If you don't have the CD-In, buy some cables and utilize the effects loop to do the same thing. That's probably the best thing you could do without selling it.

Your father's logic is flawed. He's making you keep something you can sell to buy something a lot better. You didn't know it was crap, so it's not your fault.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
So if i buy a Line6 pod, put it through the cd-in and plug my guitar into the pod i'll be able to play through the amp like normal, but it will sound better? Cool, i'll look into the pod's then (i assume that is how it will work anyways, playing i'm fine with, i still have a lot to learn on the gear side of things...)

edit: which would be the best pod value wise? i.e. which is the ceapest one worth having? thanks again
Last edited by ir0nmaid3nfan at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by Juadafi
DS-1 is pretty bad. Don't.

if its modded its not
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Yeah, they're basically a pre-amp. There are *loads* of Pods, so it's worth looking at them thoroughly. There's a "live" range you should look at if you're gigging. I think they're pretty good, they're highly regarded on these boards.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
if its modded its not

Alf, stop nit picking!
Any suggestions on the best suitable ones which don't cost much more than £100 (if that's possible, if not, i'll keep saving for a good one... )

thanks again everyone :P
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
Any suggestions on the best suitable ones which don't cost much more than £100 (if that's possible, if not, i'll keep saving for a good one... )

thanks again everyone :P

I think the only one cheaper than £100 is the Pocket Pod. My friend has one, and when i borrowed it for a while it wasn't much use past a headphone amp.
Tell your Dad you bought it with your own money and you are capable of doing what you want with what you buy. Say "I don't make decisions with your income".

Just put it up for sale on Craigslist.
I second the idea of getting a pod & running it through the amp.
If you can't find one within that price range though, just try some dist. pedals out at a local music store or GC.
But would it work through my amp and allow me to play through the cab, and therefore improve the tone? Or is that pod 2.0 just act as a recording thing? Sorry, i'm getting confused now :')
Yeah, you can run them through the amp. Either of them would do the trick. Just be prepared to mess with the settings for a while to get a sound you like.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you get the floor-pod, get ready to bend over a lot (sounds wrong, I know ), it really gets to your back after a while.
Last edited by Zalu at Aug 30, 2009,
I don't have a problem if it improves the tone, i'll mess for hours on end

At the moment, i can just about afford either of those, so it's a matter of which will allow me to play metal/hard rock most efficiently. If both of them will, then i can go for the cheaper one :P
Looking at the pod 2.0 - Would it just be a matter of plugging that into the line in/cd-in on my amp, plugging my guitar into the amp (or the pod, whichever you do ) and then selecting which amp model i want? From there i just change all the settings on the pod (treble etc.) to suit my needs?
Yeah, the signal chain would be Guitar -> Pod -> Amp.
From there, you should just be able to turn it on & adjust whatever.
Ok cool. So before i go and try pick one up, are there any other possible alternatives? (just want to make sure )

edit: My only worry with the pod 2.0 so far is that it says on the Line6 site that it is a desktop pod for home recording... I dunno, will it be any use live?
Well, you could either buy a different multi-effects (your best bet would be sticking with a pod though) or buy some single pedals, which would cost more & may not guaruntee a tone you'll like.

Edit: I guess they're main marketing thing is portable pc recording, but my friend used to run a pod 2.0 through his amp. Unless they've changed them of course..
Last edited by Zalu at Aug 30, 2009,
The clean channel on the MG is eh. Making it miles better than the overdrive. Get a pedal to run through it.

Or better yet, sell it behind your dads back, thats what I would have done. Sound quality will explode like a kaleidoscope of colors and patterns. Oh, wait, thats LSD.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I'm getting a bit confused - do i use the pod basically as an effects pedal, just lead from the guitar into that, and from that into the amp, or does the pod go into the CD-in/line in as someone said earlier, and then my guitar plugs into the amp head? :S
Your guitar should plug into the Pod, and the pod should be plugged into the guitar input in the amp.
So if you buy the pedal you'll also need a new guitar cable to go from the pod to your amp
Can i just ask exactly how (well not *exactly*) the pod will improve the sound? Is it the amp modeling on it to improve the sounds, and then tweaking the effects on the pod to make it suit the style of music?

So i would set the MG100HDFX head to as clean as i could get it, plug in the pod, select the amp model i want, set up the settings, and plug in the guitar...

So it almost bypasses the mg head?
Just wondering:

If i were to convince my dad to let me sell the amp, and say i got £300 + the £100 i already have, what would be the best amp (preferably combo after seeing how feckin heavy this one is) to use for gigs and practice?
Do you have any other amp you could use in between amps?
If you can save like £200 more you can get a Hayden MoFo lovely handwired boutique tube amp with a 2x12 cab, I suggest the Harley Benton one with V30's can't remember exact name but it's on thomann.de which is what I'd do. Should be much lighter 'cos it's a LOT smaller as well.

If that doesn't catch your eye, keep an eye out in local 2nd hand music stores for bargins and such. I only paid £300 for my JCM900
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

crank it and play all the time (NEVER play clean), then tell your dad you'll buy a smaller combo.
I don't really have much i could use - i have a vox valetronix 15w that i use at home, a 90w (i think) fender that i borrowed, i have no idea what model, or even if it is solid state or not (i think it's called a Fender Automatic SE, at least, that's what it says on the back) and i have the big marshall half stack at my drummers house....

Edit: Would a Peavy Vypyr 100 watt be good for metal/hard rock? and would it be loud enough for gigs? I am looking at amps right now, there is a chance i could pick one up at christmas without having to get rid of the marshall, but if i can get rid of it then maybe a lot sooner..

Edit 2: Apparently, i have no chance of being allowed to sell it - it was my choice and i 'have to learn to live with my decisions'. So i'm stuck with (probably for another year minimum) the big marshall... So i guess i'll be investing in a pod....

So for a metal tone/hard rock tone, which would be better for use in both gigs, recording and practice - The Line6 Pod 2.0 or the Line6 Foot Pod?

Thanks again.
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
I don't really have much i could use - i have a vox valetronix 15w that i use at home, a 90w (i think) fender that i borrowed, i have no idea what model, or even if it is solid state or not (i think it's called a Fender Automatic SE, at least, that's what it says on the back) and i have the big marshall half stack at my drummers house....

Edit: Would a Peavy Vypyr 100 watt be good for metal/hard rock? and would it be loud enough for gigs? I am looking at amps right now, there is a chance i could pick one up at christmas without having to get rid of the marshall, but if i can get rid of it then maybe a lot sooner..

Edit 2: Apparently, i have no chance of being allowed to sell it - it was my choice and i 'have to learn to live with my decisions'. So i'm stuck with (probably for another year minimum) the big marshall... So i guess i'll be investing in a pod....

So for a metal tone/hard rock tone, which would be better for use in both gigs, recording and practice - The Line6 Pod 2.0 or the Line6 Foot Pod?

Thanks again.

1)the Vypyr 100 can do all of that but switch it into the Tube 60, it has better quality, amp models and effects.

2)id save up some more and get the XT
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I mentioned using the CD-In instead of the regular amp in because it would eliminate the amp's "meh" tone entirely, so you'd just have the POD.

Guitar -> Pod -> CD In on amp
Ah cool, thanks. I'm considering selling my practice amp, (it's a vox Valvetronix VT15w) And upgrading that to a VT50 or VT100, i assume i could use those for gigs? That way i can keep the marshall here, and just use it for messing around... That way i get a better amp, and my dad thinks i haven't wasted my money on the marshall...
This really sucks dude. You're dad would rather let you spend MORE money on a divice to help cover up the bad decision of buying that amp, instead of selling the bad amp and buying a good one?

Also, I don't think anyone else asked this but..

How long ago did you get the amp? Where did you buy it? Do they have any returns policy, like the Guitar Center 30 Days ??

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 31, 2009,
Oh i got it a few months ago, i won't be able to just return it...

If i can get my dad to let me sell it, how much you think i could possibly get? I paid about £400 for it...
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
Oh i got it a few months ago, i won't be able to just return it...

If i can get my dad to let me sell it, how much you think i could possibly get? I paid about £400 for it...

~£200 I reckon. I might be wrong.
There are people selling them on Ebay for Buy it now £300, not in great condition, i wonder if i could get £300 for that? Then i have £400 to spend on a combo... + i can sell my Vox aswell
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
There are people selling them on Ebay for Buy it now £300, not in great condition, i wonder if i could get £300 for that? Then i have £400 to spend on a combo... + i can sell my Vox aswell

Convince your Dad and put it up. See what happens. If you get £250+ for it, woo!
Yeah. I'll go talk to him now... If he says yes, then i'll need some advice on which amp to get instead, if he says no then i'll be needing the Pod... My argument shall be that it is to big to move around, so it's inconvenient - i get no use out of it because it has to stay at my drummers house....

Edit: I can sell the MG and the Vox. So i have between £350 - £450 to spend on a combo.

So, best combo for hard rock/metal mainly? Can't be over £450 though, and preferably less.... Needed for gigging and practice....
why bother your not going to like the tone after buying pedals. Just stick with what you have and dial in a decent tone. I have a Mg50 for practice and its hard the play throuhg, but it you can get your technique down on that then youll be sick with any amp.

My clean settings are:
Gain:6
Middle:8
Treble:8.5
Bass:5

Lead:
Gain:8
Contour:3
Treble:3
Bass:5-8

With delay with improvising: half way on the delay effect, and effect level 8 and reverb at 2.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
You could get a POD, but a better choice imo would be to get a Tube distortion pedal. The cleans on MGs are very usable, its the distortion that sucks. Buying a tube distortion pedal, like a Blackstar HT series distortion, would help you out alot.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HTDIST-Tube-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=152008

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Page 1 of 2