my strat has two string tees, and im starting to think that they are partially responsible for making me go out of tune a lot. i have locking tuners and a graphite nut, so i dont think theres much i can do there. would it be a good idea to remove one or both or unscrew one partways so theres not as much pressure on the string?
Generally the string trees help keep the guitar in tune. The reason being more angle over the nut. Are they new strings? If so expect them to stretch a bit while breaking them in, thus going out of tune. If that is the case you can always pre-stretch the strings after putting them on.
Guitars are like my babies... except without that useless baby meat...
the string trees keep them in tune.... The pressure is compensation for there not being an angle at the headstock. most likely, the problem is in the nut. put some pencil graphite in the slots and lube up the trees with chap stick. Also, do you use the trem?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
String trees are there for a reason...to keep a good angle on the string as it passes over the nut. If you think it's too much of a problem you could either switch to roller trees or remove them and intsall staggered-height tuners.

Many people do blame them for tuning problems, but ya gotta consider...just as many people (likely many, many more) use them without issues.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by Kuestionmark
are all of your strings detuning? or just the ones that go through the string tree.

he ones in the string tees. particularly the g and b
Quote by apak
the string trees keep them in tune.... The pressure is compensation for there not being an angle at the headstock. most likely, the problem is in the nut. put some pencil graphite in the slots and lube up the trees with chap stick. Also, do you use the trem?

ive lubed it before, and it helps a little, but i never use the trem for that reason
Quote by guns_rosesldb
he ones in the string tees. particularly the g and b

The G and B usually go out of tune easily on any guitar. The G is really common because it's thin nad unwound and there is the least angle at which the string goes to the tuner. Maybe you're not stringing properly?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack