Page 1 of 2
Hey all!

Well I'm going to New York in mid-December which will be awesome, but I've never been to America before, let alone the Big Apple, so I come to you for help and advice.

What should I do there?
What should I avoid?
What should I take?
What should I leave?

Also, if there is anything you can get considerably cheaper in the US that you think I'd be interested in, feel free to mention it. Guitar stuff is also welcome

Cheers!
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
gets cold. better wear two t-shirts.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Simply walking around down town NY is fun, you can make a whole day out of it.
You should avoid dangerous neighborhoods at night, haha
You should take a good pair of walking shoes, an ipod, backpack with water etc. in it
You probably shouldnt bring too much cash, try to pay with plastic or travelers checks
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
Ditch your accent unless you want to get laughed at
Check out my band Disturbed
Chinatown!
Gear :
Fender Stratocaster Made in Mexico

Amps :
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Marshall Lead 20
Fender Performer 1000

Harlem!
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Definately visit Times Square cause thats just a given. If your going to be there for a few days/weeks try to visit the Museum of Natural History...its great! A few nice places to go to eat is Jekyll and Hyde Restaurant (http://www.jekyllpub.com/) and Harringtons which is down the street from Penn Station (http://www.menupix.com/ny/restaurants.php?id=304711)...hope ya have fun!
Don't be naive, it's like any big city with people, plenty of whom would love to take your stuff.

Basic security aside: Carnagi Deli, Broadway, Central Park, Conney Island, maybe see a show somewhere. Don't carry around loads of expensive stuff, everyone knows your foreign and some people will try to take advantage of you.
Quote by StewieSwan
Ditch your accent unless you want to get chicks

Fixed that for you.

I went to New York once when I was a small kid. If I were you I would go and watch a sports game (baseball, NFL, whatever) and definitely go and walk downtown. Go to the waters edge, piers etc.
Quote by Ghast
Don't be naive, it's like any big city with people, plenty of whom would love to take your stuff.

Basic security aside: Carnagi Deli, Broadway, Central Park, Conney Island, maybe see a show somewhere. Don't carry around loads of expensive stuff, everyone knows your foreign and some people will try to take advantage of you.

Don't get the wrong idea, there ARE people that are willing to scam you, but its not like they're aren't people like that anywhere else in the world...

All ya gotta do is avoid shady people, use your brain and you'll be fine...
Go to the top of the Empire State Building. It seems like a pretty cliche tourist stop, but its actually quite a great view of the city. I felt it was worth the money.

Also, go see if there is an empty lot at the corner of 2nd and 46th streets.

+1 for reference.
Quote by daytripper75
Go to the top of the Empire State Building. It seems like a pretty cliche tourist stop, but its actually quite a great view of the city. I felt it was worth the money.

But the planes coming at you all the time can be a real bother. Or maybe that's just for giant apes.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
But the planes coming at you all the time can be a real bother. Or maybe that's just for giant apes.

nah, just giant Swedes.
Quote by daytripper75
nah, just giant Swedes.

I'm just big boned
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Well it's a shame you missed Les Paul...

I'd recommend the Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Empire State Building, Grand Central, and Times Square. Be prepared for a lot of lines though.

The Guitar Center has some really nice stuff but be prepared to have a salesman dog you the whole time.
I dunno, but from the one time I've been there I noticed that the working people are generally assholes, so If you're ordering food do it quick.
LARGE TEXT
Rockafeller Centre>Empire State buliding. Less queuing. But you HAVE to go to the ESB anyway, so...
The subway is the best way to travel. The traffic is just unbearable and quite frankly dangerous.

Time Square, The Museum of Natural History, the Bronx zoo (if you can make the trip), and the Empire State Builing are some great places to go.

Make sure you have a lot of money to spend if your going to Times Square and plan on shopping, but cash isn't a good idea.

And, uh, have fun, I guess.

Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
get pizza and bagels. dont go to chains, try to find a little mom and shop place. the jewish bakeries will have really good bagels. if youve never had lox, its worth trying on a fresh bagel. for pizza i recommend plain cheese with a little salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes ontop when you get it.

they have some really nice art and history museums if youre into that kind of thing.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Thanks for all the suggestions people!

I'm going with my girlfriend and her family, so unfortunately my sexy accent wont help me this time round, aha!

We're staying at the Waldorf Astoria which will be incredible. There will be lots of shopping but her family have been before so they have that covered.

We're going to the Empire State and we'll go see a show on Broadway. We'll go to the Rockafeller Plaza too and go ice-skating and see the big christmas tree!

We're also going to the Guggenheim (sp?) Museum which will be cool.

We're only staying for 5 nights though, so I just realised we wont have a chance to do most of these things. Still I love the suggestions and they're really helping, I'm making a list and we'll whittle it down.

Cheers people.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
There's this really nice place that serves the best salami ever, it's really famous, but its amazing. IDR whats its called, but go there!
sex drugs n rock n roll
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Alright, I've had 1001 suggestions of where to go. Now on to the important stuff...

What should I buy whilst in the States? What things are a lot cheaper over there?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by This_Kidd
Alright, I've had 1001 suggestions of where to go. Now on to the important stuff...

What should I buy whilst in the States? What things are a lot cheaper over there?

maryjuana, prostitutes and CDs.

that means drugs, sex and rock n roll.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
I suggest Times Square as a stop. It has a lot of **** in it. Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island as well. And if Interpid is open, go there or be ²
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Katz's Deli.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
That's another thing I wanted to know. Will the Statue of Liberty be open? I heard it's only open some times of the year?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
plan to lose your money and pay with plastic, dont go to dark alleys.
Make damn sure you have enough money in your account for shopping
'09er
Quote by aaciseric

I hate you too much to be able to answer this thread properly. You misleading swine.

Quote by HeavyReverb

you dont win. f^cking 09er

Quote by emad
Morello Wannabe
Post back and I'll temporary ban you.
the hot dog cart vendors are awesome. get a huge pretzel.
Make sure to only take the back alleys, the real streets are way too crowded.
Goodness gracious me!
If you want an amazing burger check out the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian Hotel. It's kind of hard to find though but when you enter go past the desk and look to the left and you'll see a small neon burger sign. It's worth looking for it though, probably the best burger i've ever had.
I'm a real cool kid.
I'm going to Noo York mid December too I better keep an eye on this thread. I can't wait!
Lived there for 3 months, it's brilliant

See the Apple store
See a broadway show
Visit Times Square
Walk down 5th Avenue (the two churches there are pretty cool)
Visit Trump Tower (also on 5th avenue)
Top of the Rock
Get the Staten Island ferry (see statue of liberty for free)
Visit Central Park
Visit Air and Space museam
Check out the gig scene (the Bowery ballroom as I recall does gigs there)
See something at Madison square garden
Check out the dive bars, get cheap pitchers of beer, PLAY BEERPONG!!
Go to a Knicks game
Stay the **** away from Harlem
Sign up to be part of a studio audience for some show (don't know what's in new york but probably something)
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Im going to NYC in 2 days. Stayin for 5 nights as well! Im really excited

Mein herz schlagt Schwarz Rot und Gold
Page 1 of 2