my amp sounds like ****...IT has 6L6 tubes and theyarent functioning right. The Od and clean channel arent very different and it isnt clear anyways. i Found these

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ruby-6L6GCMSTR-Matched-Amp-Tubes?sku=212030&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

and they are cheap, so i was wondering what you think about them, or what i should buy(Best for cheap)?
Amps a Mesa F-50 Btw. Help me if you can.

P.S. Im a tube amatuer
Has the amplifier always sounded like that or is it something that has happened recently?

If you do change the power tubes, Ruby tubes are decent but be aware your amp will need to be rebiased when you put those new tubes in. This is essential. If you don't rebias then you will not be getting the best possible tone. Moreover you even risk damage to the tubes and/or amplifier.
Don't buy tubes from Musician's Friend.

Try:

DougsTubes.com
TheTubeStore.com
EuroTubes.com

It kinda sounds like you need to be replacing preamp tubes though, not power tubes.

Quote by XtAsY2007
be aware your amp will need to be rebiased when you put those new tubes in. This is essential. If you don't rebias then you will not be getting the best possible tone. Moreover you even risk damage to the tubes and/or amplifier.

Mesas cannot be biased. So this does not apply.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Tubes don't suck, they have a vacuum.

Also: http://thetubestore.com/
Quote by Mayonaise 812
yeah those are decent. ^^^ f series dont have pre amp tubes apparently.

wat
+1 to MC and Goolz.

I wouldn't use Ruby tubes either.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
+1 to MC and Goolz.

I wouldn't use Ruby tubes either.

I hear their power tubes aren't half bad

I'd still go elsewhere, though.
Sounds more like you don't have any idea how to EQ it.
Mesas are quite peculiar, so I'd reccomend for you to read the manual.
lol yeah my bad it says solid state rectification. and didnt mention anything about a pre amp on wikipedia. oh well.
I've got a mesa dc-5 and I replaced the 6l6 str-440's with 5881 str-425. The amp sounded great before the replace and like hell after. I later replaced the new 5881's wit the old 6l6's and it sounded great again. I bought some new 6l6's from the mesa store and it sounded even better.
Quote by Mayonaise 812
lol yeah my bad it says solid state rectification. and didnt mention anything about a pre amp on wikipedia. oh well.

Rectification is just turning AC to DC. Has more to do with response than tonality.
well....
1. I know how to EQ, i played at church this morning and it was fine.....
2. Ok, sound like a power or preamp tube problem? Theres a lot of noise when its on standby, its very harsh, it has no midds or bass, just very harsh highs. No matter howi EQ it still sucks. Lot of gain on the clean channel also. Thats whats goin on, sorry to know specify.
3. I am not an idiot, i just have never replaced tubes since i bought it, so i dont know a bunch.
Quote by Mayonaise 812
f series dont have pre amp tubes apparently.

Quote by imgooley
I hear their power tubes aren't half bad

I'd still go elsewhere, though.

Ruby 6L6s were in my 5150, they were alright, but it sounded better with the JJs I put in it. Ruby EL-34s, however, are my favorite EL-34s made
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by musicfan1234
http://thetubestore.com/tungsol5881.html
Or this maybe?
Help me out plz hahaha

I don't know if your amp can run those tubes. 5881's have a different plate voltage than 6l6GC's.
Quote by imgooley
I don't know if your amp can run those tubes. 5881's have a different plate voltage than 6l6GC's.

so would these http://thetubestore.com/tesla6l6gc.html be good. Heard good things about em. Would they match my amp's bias?

I may just get Mesa tubes. I cant take the heat of getting new tubes first time around, under stress hahahaha.

Thank you so much for helping me BTW, your help os greatly appreciated
I'd go with the JJs, they'd be a better choice than the Mesas, which are just rebranded, overpriced tubes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd go with the JJs, they'd be a better choice than the Mesas, which are just rebranded, overpriced tubes.

OK, so Matrixclaw, i know that you have/have owned some Mesa amps that take 6L6. If i get these JJ tubes, will they match the bias on my F-50. In other words, will i be able to swap them, plug in, and play?
Quote by musicfan1234
OK, so Matrixclaw, i know that you have/have owned some Mesa amps that take 6L6. If i get these JJ tubes, will they match the bias on my F-50. In other words, will i be able to swap them, plug in, and play?

Mesa biases cannot be adjusted, at all. Anything should work in them, but just as a precaution, if you buy from Dougstubes or TheTubeStore, just tell them you're using it with a Mesa F-50 and they'll give you a pair that best matches the bias set on them.

And just a heads up, if you buy those from Eurotubes, they are $2 cheaper
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Mesa biases cannot be adjusted, at all. Anything should work in them, but just as a precaution, if you buy from Dougstubes or TheTubeStore, just tell them you're using it with a Mesa F-50 and they'll give you a pair that best matches the bias set on them.

And just a heads up, if you buy those from Eurotubes, they are $2 cheaper

Hahahahaa. Thank you so much. Next time i have a question, ill be sure to ask you, thanks a bunch.