Ok, so I had a guitar custom built with all Warmoth parts, and the local music store put it together. I rarely use the tone knob, but it worked fine for a month maybe. Then the tone started cutting out.. now it doesn't work at all. Even though I don't use it often, I want to get it working. I don't want to go back to them yet. I want to use this as a learning experience and try to fix it myself with the help of you guys.

SO, the guitar has 2 humbuckers, 2 way switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob. I just took the pickguard off and looked at the pot, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. So here are some pictures

Any help is appreciated
Lol they did a ****ty solder job, but i dunno other then that it looks good, the only thing that I noticed is there is a piece of something running across the ground & capacitor...maybe a short circuit
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
THIS is a cold solder joint, not defintely but possibly your problem:

My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
who ever did the work did a ****ty job just looking at the cables one of them is melted so that really could effect it.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
****ty soldering job is very ****ty
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Yeah, it's poor soldering. It looks like they didn't remove the coating that the pot has either, so there was probably never a proper electrical connection.

What you (or someone else) would need to do to fix that really is to de-solder the tone control, get a small file and scratch the waxy coating off the bottom of the pot, and then re-solder it all properly. There are a few guides around on the Guitar Building & Customisation forum that tell you how to solder these things properly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks for the replies.

So, the guy did a ****ty job? I going to have to call and talk to him.. It started cutting out not too long after I got the guitar back from him. That was back in December when I first got it. He emailed to ask how it was going, and I remember replying and telling him about the tone knob, but I kept getting an email back saying the email could not be sent so I didn't do anything else.

I'm pissed. Every ****ing place in this town sucks and always rips me off. I paid the guy $150 canadian to assemble the whole guitar, do the electronics, fret leveling, etc.. I gave him a box full of parts. He told me it was a good deal because it cost him more than that but he felt bad when he only told me it should cost around $50. Not sure if that was actually a good deal or not. He didn't do a perfect job with the fret leveling either but it doesn't bug me too much. Probably too late to give him **** about that too

I'm going to tell him I showed other people the electrical and everyone has told me he did a ****ty job.
Actually looking closer neither of the capacitor joints look good at all. You should be able to troubleshoot it if you're a little flexible, just turn the tone knob down, strum some strings then wiggle the capacitor around a bit and listen for a change in tone.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by MrFlibble
...get a small file and scratch the waxy coating off the bottom of the pot...

This is so important, so simple, and yet hardly ever seems to be done correctly. I've seen new guitars that look like this.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
if you remove the soldering put some flux down which will remove all dirt on the pot making it easier for it to be resoldered
I pushed on the capacitor then tried the tone knob and it seems to work now.

Would the ****ty electrical work affect the tone?
I'm going to call tomarrow and talk to the guy who put my guitar together. Hopefully he will re-do what he did wrong.
They all look passable but far from trustworthy or professional, way too much solder, some do show signs of being too cold when applied particularly on the switch, untrimmed leads sticking out all over...it looks like a rushed job. What's odd is you can see he did actually scuff the back of the volume pot but didn't heat it up enough to do any good anyway.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
I was going to say what swamper said just looks rushed.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
i suck at soldering and i can do a better job.

I pushed on the capacitor then tried the tone knob and it seems to work now.

Would the ****ty electrical work affect the tone?

the guitar might make noises, cut out, and if the wires arent going to the right places then yes, it might also sound weak.

is the little wire at the capacitor not secure/connected?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011