if a guitar doesnt have a tone knob, does the pickup sound like it has a tone knob all the way up?
Yup
Quote by Jody LeCompte
"My personal preference has always been for a rack unit. One less thing to play dance dance revolution with on your pedalboard"

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Baby Joel
It sounds like the knob is at 10.

this
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Well, depends on what tone controls you're used to using.

Tone controls are made of two things, a pot and a capcitor.
Pots come in three common values, 250k, 500k and 1meg. There are a few others, but those are the main ones.
There's also different capacitor values. The most common are .047uf and .022uf.

A tone control made of a 250k pot and a .047uf capacitor rolls off much more treble than a 1meg pot with a 0.022uf capacitor.
So, even when the 250k/.047uf combination is at '10', it's still removing some of the higher frequencies from the tone. If this is the type of tone control you're used to and you removed it completely, you would notice the tone gets much brighter than even when the tone control was set to '10'. Stratocasters and Telecasters are the most common guitars with this type of tone control.
On the other hand, a Les Paul or SG more normally has a tone control made up of a 500k pot and a .022uf capacitor. This doesn't take away quite so much treble as the Strat/Tele style tone control does, so when the LP/SG tone control is at '10', it's much closer to how the guitar would sound with no tone control.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
It sounds like you've bypassed the tone knob. As MrFlibble outlines.

A good example would be a fender "no load" tone pot.
Quote by Hobo69
No.

noNoNoNO NO!
Quote by Jody LeCompte
"My personal preference has always been for a rack unit. One less thing to play dance dance revolution with on your pedalboard"

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.