Hey guys,
So one of my Preamp tubes went dead on my Traynor YCS50. It's the V2 slot, so my OD channel is gone. While I'm replacing it, I figured I'd go ahead and get a new driver tube as well. The V1 slot is a Tungsol 12AX7, and it's fine for now... so question.
How much affect does the driver tube have? I've read that it does exactly what it's called... drives the V1 and V2. So in tone shaping, it seems that it would have the most effect on my overall sound between the channels. Maybe I'm wrong...
If so, which 12AX7 would be my best bet for an articulate, warm tone?
I was just going to go with a JJ/Tesla ECC83-s since it's cheap and sturdy and JJ's have a great reputation...
Thanks
V1 is gonna have the most affect on the tone of the amp. Not sure what you mean about the driver tube, but in most amps the each preamp tube generally cascades into the next.

As far as tubes go I love a JAN 5751 in V1 of my blues jr.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Hmmm, I'm trying to find where I read about the V3 = driver tube, but whatever. The 5751 looks like what I want... I definitely have gain to spare, so I might just take the Tungsol out of V1 into V2 and put the 5751 in its stead.
O, you're talking about he phase inverter, should've realised that. It's called the driver tube since it drives the power tubes.
Ooookay, so it drives the power tubes rather than the other preamp tubes. I heard that it's good to have matched sections (for 12AX7's or other tubes with two plates??) for the phase inverter. Do you know anything about that?
Yes, you want matched triodes for the PI. I don't know that it makes a huge difference, but since it's only like 1 dollar extra for it there's no sense in not getting matched triodes for your PI.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yes, you want matched triodes for the PI. I don't know that it makes a huge difference, but since it's only like 1 dollar extra for it there's no sense in not getting matched triodes for your PI.

This. It doesn't make a huge difference in most amps but unless they're trying to charge you a ridiculous amount of money, go for it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 30, 2009,
Sounds good. thetubestore.com charges $5.00 bucks for matched sections/triodes on them, which is a lot for me at the moment... but I just looked at tubedepot.com and they only charge $2.00. Looks like I'll go for it. Thanks for the info guys!
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Aug 30, 2009,
heck yeah, shipping is cheaper with tubedepot.com as well AND I can pay with my Paypal account! Glad I looked over there!
Quote by Kevin Saale

mm: check my edit

Delete it. We can't let the Grammar Nazis know!
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by wiredisme
heck yeah, shipping is cheaper with tubedepot.com as well AND I can pay with my Paypal account! Glad I looked over there!

Tubedepot ships fast too. I'm two states away from them and they get tubes to me in 3 days max. Only guitar center is faster, but they're main shipping warehouse is in the same state as me so that's expected. Thats going through the cheapest shipping with both companies.
Sounds good to me! I just had this Tungsol (that died) in my Palomino V32, which I sold on Ebay... glad I took it out. It probably wouldn't have failed on them if I'd have left it in though... I think I was just handling it too much. Whatever, hopefully my Traynor will be up and running by Wednesday or so! I have one of those bursts of practice enthusiasm coming up, so it'll be good timing.
Kevin, how do you like the JAN 5751? I'm going to put it into my amp's V1 when I retube it to reduce gain, but am not sure whether to go for the JAN or the Sovtek.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Do not put the tungsol reissues in the cathode follower stage (V2) if your amp has one (it will if the preamp is similar to most Marshalls, which I assume the Traynor is)
someone might be able to explain the electronics behind it better than me so I'll leave that to someone else. But lost story short, the tungsol reissues just cannot handle that position well and will die out very quickly.
My personal take is to NOT use balanced tubes for PIs. If they are balanced, then you get the least amount of even order harmonics out of the power amp as things are perfectly balanced. This can sound kindof sterile (depending on the amp). If they are unbalanced a bit, it can sound better because it has more even order harmonics. That = warmer
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial