I love death metal, I think it takes a huge amount of technicality and skill to play, not to mention it's an absolute blast to listen to. However, I can't quite... play it.

I've been playing for about 3 years now. As far as the riffs go, they're very spastic, all over the place, and my problem... picked very fast. I can tremolo pick fast and even, but when I slow it down to alternate picking I'm very slow.

How do I get my chops up for such speed and technicality? I've been playing for about 3 years, not really serious though. I need some sort of regimen, or something to practice, so I can get faster and faster and be able to tackle the songs I feel I should be able to play.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
I got the same problem bro, but I'm too lazy to solve it really
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
umm yea death metal sucks
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
I learned some Opeth stuff, just the rhythm, and I felt that helped me improve ALOT on my speed and technicality.

Heir Apparent is one I'd recommend, really fun to play
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by ripdime04
umm yea death metal sucks

I wouldn't say suck...different genre from what you're use to so when venturing outside of ones genre they tend to lean towards the hateful side...but it's all opinion
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
There's no miracle formula you can apply here mate. Practice, Practice, Practice. Slow down the songs/riffs you want to play, learn the crap out of them, then gradually speed up.

I'm no death metal guitarist, but I've been playing for a bit over 6 years seriously and have learned songs from bands such as Born of Osiris and Despised Icon. Took me quite a while to be able to play them at the same speed, accuracy and technicallity as the bands do. Don't give up.

Only other thing I can recommend is using Guitar Pro. Great tool for learning, if used correctly.

Just remember that time is your friend, although it might be a pain.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

My Gear :

-Peavey HP Signature EX
-Fender 100H(Head) + Fender FM412 (Cab)
-GBX Custom Bug
-Dunlop Wah Pedal GCB-95
-Marshall GV-2 Plus
-Boss CS-3
-Behringer Digital Reverb DR100
Try just to keep the movement in the wrist and not the arm (that sounds wierd :P) and just sit and trem pick and as time passes you'll become faster as the muscels in your wrist becomes stronger (damn i must have sounded boring :P)
Anyways thats what my guitar teacher told me and he'd got a grip on the tecnique. (he's fast as hell!!)
Last edited by prevenge178 at Aug 30, 2009,
Lol, people always ask this question and it amazes me :P

Theres no simple answer, it takes a lot of time, and A LOT of practice. Take a metronome, and start off fairly slow with one of these hard riffs, at a speed where you can do everything perfectly, no mistakes, so you know exactly what your hand and fingers are doing, and remember what they are doing. From then on, pick up the pace, and do it until you can make it perfect. You cant automatically go super fast if your brain doesnt know what your hands are doing, so this helps that process.
I would say whenever you practice anything that you think is too fast, slow it down and practice it at a slower speed until you can master it there. Then once you've done that, gradually speed it up until you can get it up to speed. Use something consistent like a click track, or a metronome, and gradually speed up the BPM (beats per minute).

Watch this too: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8028331298186612048&ei=1-2aStH5HYScqAOihOGfDg&q=rock+discipline&hl=en

Its a great instructional video and it helped me out a lot in developing speed with alternate picking. Its called John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. Enjoy...
Last edited by Wattage at Aug 30, 2009,
All it takes is practice, nothing else. A metronome is helpful for building speed and accuracy, but if you don't use one it's ok. I learned alternate picking by using various exercises that vary by the number of notes per string.
mY problem lies in tech death : / ive got outstanding speed if i may say so ( ) but when it ry to play something like extreme unction by necrophagist i cant be ****ed to even try when i look at the tab (cause of the weird signatures n stuff)
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Well, if you want an easy death metal song, learn Crystal Mountain by Death, but I don't know if that's the kind of death metal you want to play, you might want to tell what kind of subgenre you want to play.
I can play the majority of crystal mountain, yes. I'm into it all really, ****, some other easy death metal songs would be cool too.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
Try Deicide's "Worst Enemy". Great riff and pretty easy to get the hang of. Or there's a tab around here for Behemoth's "At The Left Hand ov God". I think it's a pretty simple song once you get things going too. It's repetitive but helps build your rhythm and use of chords.

And if you'd like a sexy little guide, this link really helped me out as an extreme guitarist to improve my technicality: http://www.fretjam.com/how-to-play-death-metal-guitar.html. I hope it works for you too.
Quote by EvoLancer211
I wouldn't say suck...different genre from what you're use to so when venturing outside of ones genre they tend to lean towards the hateful side...but it's all opinion

lol srry , i was jus kinda messina round i wasnt really serious, even though i dont like death metal. but i know it takes talent to make and i do have respect for it.
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
While I'm certainly not exclusively a death metal, or metal in general guitarist, I love playing the style now and then, just letting loose some vicious riffs. I have never learnt a death metal song by another artist, save perhaps the odd riff here and there, just my own stuff - and that's the best advice I can give you, try to write some of your own riffs. It doesn't have to be overly complicated or fast at first either - start basic and work up. If you have the means, record yourself and overdub new parts - different kinds of lead melodies and solos, harmonized riffs and so forth. I find this kind of process to be extremely useful in improving not only your composition and understanding of music, but your chops too. Not to mention that it is great fun. Good luck.
The Philosopher by Death is easy, but in general death metal is a tough genre to play.
Quote by Amer91
The Philosopher by Death is easy, but in general death metal is a tough genre to play.

No it's really not.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by KoenDercksen
What, it's not a tough genre to play?

Or isn't the song easy?

Death metal isn't a tough genre. I love it, but let's be real. 90% of it is diminished tremolo picking.
Check out my band Disturbed
For building speed, the key is to begin very slowly and as mentioned, a metronome can be really useful. Learn scales that a frequently used in the type of music you like. I'm guessing the harmonic minor would be a good one to learn for you. Practice alternate picking a scale shape (or even better, a lick you like) and begin at a speed you can cope with easily. Ensure you can play smoothly, evenly and cleanly. When you are competent at that speed, set your metronome to 10bpm faster and attempt the same exercise with the faster tempo until you are able to play at this speed cleanly too.

It would be worth attempting this exercise using legato techniques too.
XtAsY2007 has a point. Legato make's a HUGE difference when you are trying to play riffs. Especially from bands like Necrophagist.

You'd be surprised just how often death metal guitarist use legato, especially live. The fact is that it's just easier then relying on alternate picking to work out at higher speeds.

As for building your speed, try doing a few diminished scales at 120bpm (8th notes) and move up from there as you feel comfortable with it.

e|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------8h11-------------------|
D|--------------7h10----------7h10-----------5h8------------|
A|--------6h9-----------6h9------------------------------------|
E|--5h8----------------------------------------------------------|

Something like that.

And just keep doing it until you are comfortable. Don't try to go light speed, you don't want to strain yourself.
Quote by Baraga
My advise -
get a glass pick
use your pet as a guitar
PRACTCE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Thats brutal
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
That's a pretty interesting predicament. I haven't been playing for much longer than you, but the first songs I learned were by Megadeth, Iced Earth and Gojira.

It's a b*tch to learn this stuff, especially when you're just getting into it. Things like real fast gallop riffs or more intricate passages involving time sig shifts or such are a great deterrent for some from practice.

But my sugegstion, as it worked for me, is to find a song you really like with some good, complicated riffs, learn it, and then just play it, slow as you need, for as long as it takes. I did this with pretty much every death metal / black metal song I know, and though it took a while in the beginning, it's a pretty quick process now.

Best of luck.