Hey, as you may have guessed by my other thread i'm looking to get a new valve amp. The ValveKing seems to fit the bill in what i need. I've heard from a few places that the Speaker needs replacing for it to sound really nice. I would be readily happy to do this but (here's where the plans come in) i am most likely going to hook this up to a 2x12 cab eventually. Would it be worth replacing the speaker, and does it really need it. Anyways, bearing i like it when i go and try it out next week-end, along with the HT-5, this will be the way i go so all help is appreciated.
When you hook up a cab to the 112, it kills the on board speaker, so in the end, you would have replaced a speaker you'll end up not using.
yeah, i wondered whether it done that. Good to know. I don't know whether i will replace it because i'd get the cab pretty soon after, probably a few months. Any idea what Cab i should get to accompany it?
You sure you need a cab? The 112 is more than loud enough to gig with on its own. I'd just replace the speaker and put the extra cash towards tubes and an OD and/or EQ. Money better spent imo.
Last edited by Jason43 at Aug 30, 2009,
Can't get Avatars in the Uk i don't think. I might know someone who has either an empty Cab or a really old one i could restore and get going nicely. What am i looking for in Cabs? Like, Good Woods? Open or Closed Back? anything else
Also, do you own the VK now? or are you picking it up this weekend?
That may change things a bit...

I won't be picking up the amp until Christmas time. Something to do with older models is it?

I play just every kind of rock whether it be Classic, Modern or Metal. I say Metal but really i mean bands like Metallica, Trivium, Lamb Of God. None of which use huge amounts of gain at all. Yeah, i like a punchy, growly low end and articulate highs.
I'm not a metal guitarist, i play flat out rock with occasional metal. Dunno where you read that stuff about pedals but it's not true. I'm happy to buy pedals and stuff.

EDIT: I realise the MG series is pretty bad but is the Haze (MHZ15) any good just because i love Marshall tone when it's done well.
Last edited by willT08 at Aug 30, 2009,
How much money do/will you have? The Haze is better through good speakers.

In that case, don't buy new, go used.

Buy these upgrades:
-new speaker
-new tubes
-'free mods'
-An OD or clean boost for lead channel
-An EQ for the loop (I suggest MXR 10-band)

Do those, and you should be good.
You could also do the OT mod, which is supposed to change it drastically for the better.
Quote by dudey5691
How much money do/will you have? The Haze is better through good speakers.

In that case, don't buy new, go used.

Buy these upgrades:
-new speaker
-new tubes
-'free mods'
-An OD or clean boost for lead channel
-An EQ for the loop (I suggest MXR 10-band)

Do those, and you should be good.
You could also do the OT mod, which is supposed to change it drastically for the better.

Are we talking about the Haze here? and how much roughly would all that come to. I'm saving up for it so budget isn't a problem so much as time. I don't wanna be sat 3 years down the line having been playing for 5 years and still on my first amp.
The valveking is a great amp, its good for metal, but there is better. At the moment I'm building a custom 212 cab to match my valveking 112 custom head, I plan on using Vetren 30's, But new speakers and tubes make this amp sing. Its prolly a good intermediate amp.
I realise there's better but an Intermediate amp is exactly what i'm looking for. What tubes are you gonna use?
Well, the tubes I have in there now are Mesa Boogie 6l6's(which I hate, dont work very well for this amp at all, but they work) But I'm going to try and get some Ruby 6l6's, and I think my preamp tubes are sovetk LP, and 2 12AX7 JJ's. Overall, the max your gona spend in decent upgrades for a 112 is like $150, I spent $400 on just my guitar.
True, i've got the alternative of the Bugera 6260. It seems really good except i wouldn't be able to play one before i bought it so that's putting me off. Other option is a HT-5 and a Mic.
try a laney vc and lc as well...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by willT08
I won't be picking up the amp until Christmas time.

I think you're getting ahead of yourself. I'd wait until you actually have the amp before you start picking out mods. You don't even know if there's anything you want to change yet. You may find the stock tone to be what you're after.
Meh, i don't wanna spend money on an amp i've bought because then i'm paying a tech to do it all as well. What do you think of the HT-5 and a mic?
Buying a new VK, only to upgrade it is a waste of money when there are better sounding amps out there for the same price as the VK + upgrades.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Serious question:

How hard is it to get GOOD cleans out of a Windsor? Cleans aren't a massive part of my playing but i enjoy them from time to time. Also, how hard would it be to flick from Drive to Clean on stage with a Windsor?
Quote by willT08
Serious question:

How hard is it to get GOOD cleans out of a Windsor? Cleans aren't a massive part of my playing but i enjoy them from time to time. Also, how hard would it be to flick from Drive to Clean on stage with a Windsor?

The Windsor is only a single channel amp, so you will need to use your volume knob on your guitar to clean up the signal going into it. You may be able to put some effects through it and get some decent cleans out of it, but you're not going to get "good" cleans.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Buying a new VK, only to upgrade it is a waste of money when there are better sounding amps out there for the same price as the VK + upgrades.

The man has a point.

I'd understand if you already owned the VK, but why do all this work when you have the option of buying another amp? Not worth it in the end in my opinion.

HT-5 is a decent amp. Good for the price, for jam sessions you'd need your own mic to hear it over a drummer, alone it would be left in the dust. Live at a small gig you can just mic it to the PA system and you'd be fine, anything larger of a venue then I'd just upgrade.

Look at a B-52 AT 112, I say that's your best bet right now.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by willT08
B-52's don't ship to UK. Gah, this crap is so annoying.

Ah boosh, that's a let down.

What's your price range again?
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
go on ebay and find the b-52, they will usually ship worldwide..
Fender Custom Shop Telecaster
Fender Tom DeLonge Signature
Gibson ES-339
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier
Marshall JCM900 1960a Lead 4x12
I've just listened to a load of demo's on Youtube and this Bugera sounds sick-nasty. Fits my balance of Bass and Mids really well
Check out the Hayden Mofo if you want a head for metal with a Marshally voice in the UK.

A used VK + upgrades is an idea too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Check out the Hayden Mofo if you want a head for metal with a Marshally voice in the UK.

gospel.
Mofo is single channel. I really need 2. Anyways, pretty much decided on either a Bugera 6260 or 6262. What are the stock speakers like in the combos? and would there buy any major increase in quality if i got a head and a cab, enough so for me to buy my first cab?