i searched and couldn't find an answer to this question...
what's the difference between el34s and el84s?

try to keep it in normal terms, because if you start going on about all the fancy words and things it does, it won't help me much because i won't understand.

also, are they interchangeable?
i have el34s in my amp and i was thinking of getting new tubes and i read about these el84s and wanted to find out about them.
i'm assuming they are interchangeable because they're very similar in name (like 12ax7, 12at7, 12au7, spax7)
just let me know what the deal is with these tubes.
thanks.
I believe 84's are used in the power section of lower wattage amps, I don't think they would fit in your amp.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by SeanX3187
i searched and couldn't find an answer to this question...
what's the difference between el34s and el84s?
Aside from size...
EL84's are more jangly and have a brighter top end - think Vox
34s are dark and rounded lots of mids and a good bass response - think marshall

try to keep it in normal terms, because if you start going on about all the fancy words and things it does, it won't help me much because i won't understand.

also, are they interchangeable?
EL84s are nonal (9-pin) and the EL34s are octal (8-pin), so they're not physically compatible with each other.
i have el34s in my amp and i was thinking of getting new tubes and i read about these el84s and wanted to find out about them.
i'm assuming they are interchangeable because they're very similar in name (like 12ax7, 12at7, 12au7, spax7)
just let me know what the deal is with these tubes.
thanks.

Credit to the thread I linked.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Aug 30, 2009,
i searched for the answers in the little search thing and it didn't come up with anything.
sorry.
EL-84s are a lower-power version of EL-34s. In most cases, amps with them in them as apposed to EL-34s, will have a "smaller" sound. A good example is the Marshall DSL401 vs the DSL50. Generally, they are used in lower gain, lower wattage amps, where power tube saturation is the goal, of course, there are always exceptions. EL-84s are going to be brighter and more Vox-like (as already stated), in some cases they sound quite thin.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
He'd need an adapter or socket swap to get them to fit.

EL34 = 8 pin, EL84 = 9 pin.

Quote by gregs1020

I C WUT U DID THAR
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
TONEBONE adapter from TAD are works very good and they are only adapter which make EL84 in class A.Yellowjacket and GT adapter not work in real class A.I tested.They are little diferent in sound, but it is mater of personal taste.
You can buy EL34 which are bright and EL84 with good bottom end, so EL84 are more bright than EL34 are LOL!I have 6L6GC which are icepicking bright, but 6L6 usually have warm sound.
El34 and EL84 are diferent tubes, but both works nice for distortion (6L6 are better for clean) and EL84 make more compressed sound than EL34.It is mater of taste, which are better.But EL84 have more dynamic response.For blues-EL84, for 70 rock-EL34.And at the end everything are important:which factory produce tube, which class amp you have and how quality of amp,how bright is youre guitar...........
I personaly like EL84, beacuse produce better clean sound and very good distortion sound.