the fact that my previous thread was closed displays the greatest sense of elitism and closed-mindedness associated with metal music.

at no point did i say i did not enjoy metal music, go look at my favourite artists, you will see many metal artists there.

i just don't understand the sheepish behaviour that goes along with listening to metal music, that's what i want to understand. because the culture of it so anti-conformity and flames "emo" and "scenekids" for their ways, but if someone else looked at the metal community it's the same thing! except instead of X's on their hands they have beer and instead of their hair going to one side it covers their whole face. instead of tight jeans it's camo's. instead of converse it's boots.

it's the same.

you only live once, as far as we know. why not be unique?
Last edited by ulique at Aug 30, 2009,
I'll copy and paste what I wrote before it was closed.

Quote by ulique
the problem with metal is it's hard to come by someone who likes metal but that doesn't make a statement about it...

band t-shirts, long hair, bald, studs, black clothing, devil horns, fear of looking like a "n00b" or "gay" for showing interests in other genres that do not use the subjects of gore, death, futurism and other types of fantasy for lyrical content.

This is untrue.

I have shirt hair, I wore this t-shirt today, and metal is only gore, death whatever on face value. Sure, you have bands like Cannibal Corpse, but even they take what they do with a grain of salt. Bands like Nile write lyrics about ancient Egypt, Cynic write about philosophy and spiritual ideas, Mastodon and Gojira write about big whales. You can't look at something and instantly generalise it, especially a genre as diverse and sprawling as metal.

Quote by ulique
music is an art and metal is killing the art.

This is especially untrue.

Also, *reported*. It's not a fault of metal that your thrread was closed, it's the forum rules.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
mastodon are hardly metal and are barely associated with the culture of metal anymore furthering themselves into association with experimental artists such as the mars volta and the dessert rock of josh homme. and cynic are more like fusion than straight ahead metal and again do not follow the metal stereotypes as they step outside the box.
any genre based on elitism and anti-this, anti-that, is killing the art of music. because it's not just the music anymore- it's a statement.
So, you expect the exact same thread to flourish after your first one got closed?

Not going to report it, since it's already been reported.
no, it's just my point was not made clear. the person that closed it made the misconception that i do not enjoy metal.
That wasn't the point though, it was closed because these kind of thread are always closed, whichever sub-forum you stray into. It's against the rules.

Also, Mastodon? Hardly metal? Maybe with Crack the Skye, but the first three albums were great slabs of metal.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Aug 30, 2009,
it would be an insult to refer to blood mountain as just "metal". yes it contained elements of metal but it was so much more than that.
Quote by ulique
music is an art and metal is killing the art.

to quote a napalm death shirt I once saw

metal isn't anti-anything, you just have a misunderstanding of the genre..possibly from talking to too many douche metal heads?

^ that is awesome lol.

People hating on each other's hair style or fashion has nothing to do with music. Yes certain stereotypes are associated with certain genres, and some people rip on each other for them, but that should in no way reflect the content of the music any person listens to.

And Mastodon is considered a type of metal, they draw heavily from the genre. Of course they're not "just metal", but most bands aren't.
Last edited by technicolour at Aug 30, 2009,
We listen to metal music because we like it.

Now be gone with you.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Quote by technicolour
metal isn't anti-anything, you just have a misunderstanding of the genre..possibly from talking to too many douche metal heads?

^ that is awesome lol.

People hating on each other's hair style or fashion has nothing to do with music. Yes certain stereotypes are associated with certain genres, and some people rip on each other for them, but that should in no way reflect the content of the music any person listens to.

And Mastodon is considered a type of metal, they draw heavily from the genre. Of course they're not "just metal", but most bands aren't.

i agree that the hating has nothing to do with the music, which is sad. because the music is being dismissed purely based on the image and fashion that fronts it. it's just, while emos and scenekids don't go around flaming metal heads for their fashion sense and tastes in music, metal heads will do that very easily without thought and at the same time dismissing a whole genre purely based on the artists' and fans' imagery and culture.

it's a shame, because music should be enjoyed by all for the art and beauty of it, not the culture or statements being made through it. i just find metal heads are the hardest to get this message across to as they are just so stubborn and closed in their little metal shell.

i will be laughed at for listening to the jonas brothers yet half of you have just about heard a single song! imagine if people judged mr. bungle by one song- they'd either have it fixed in their head that mr. bungle are either a funk band, doo-wop band, death metal band, avant-garde metal band, jazz band etc.. you only get to know all the other things they offer by actually listening to the music without a bias.
I've heard most of the Jonas Brothers songs actually. I can say they have some catchy songs, but really have next to no vocal talent. The ony one I even enjoy seeing is Kevin.

You just contradicted your whole point by singling out metalheads to inherit the sheep quality.

You say we're stubborn, yet you can't get it through your head that metalheads really aren't all the same. Then why are you judging generations of metalheads? This isn't the 80's, you rarely find anyone wearing a denim jacket and boots anymore.
We are a proud and noble race, not easily shifted by the words of lesser folk.
We stand stoic outside our mountainous caverns, ever vigilante
For we are onset by dangers from every direction
Evil forces wish to infiltrate our halls of Gold and bronze,
to corrupt our beautiful treasures that we jealously horde away

That is why we must lash out at others,
to keep our tongues sharp, and our blades sharper
This is the most stupid post I think Ive seen (okay maybe not).
Ulique: you are stereotyping metal and its fans as "anti-this and anti-that" and "elitist". Firstly, this is just ridiculous misconception on your part, but secondly, you then say that you are in fact a fan of metal!? Your contradictions are incredible.
Also if you have any idea whatsoever about human psychology you should know that people are social animals and ENJOY fitting into a group, this is how humans gain feelings of acceptance etc. So saying that you dont understand this or think that it is 'below' you just shows your on hypocrisy again.
On the subject of 'close-mindedness', I have found that the majority of metal fans are some of the most musically open-minded people Ive met. And the fact that you have recognised Mastodon as 'experimental' and Cynic as having fusion influences means you have contradicted yourself again!

So unless you are the most anti-elitist (which you are obviously not from your views in this thread), the most musically diverse, open-minded and unique person on this planet - which i highly doubt you are - SHUT THE **** UP
Quote by ulique
the fact that my previous thread was closed displays the greatest sense of elitism and closed-mindedness associated with metal music.

More like it displays the rules against spam in the forums. Your thread was pointless, mods crack down on pointless threads. If you posted the exact same thing geared toward hardcore in the hardcore forum or rock in the rock forum they would also be closed.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Actually, I've found many metal heads to be very open minded(both on the internet and in real-life). Especially compared to other people I've talked to, who say that a band doesn't have any emotion, or say a band sucks because they have a violinist, female singer, “weird” lyrics and many other reasons including my favourite “they lack talent because they aren't popular.”

I can honestly say that I have hardly ever heard metalheads say these things and any emo-flaming I've heard was light-hearted and not really being serious.
Quote by ulique
mastodon are hardly metal and are barely associated with the culture of metal anymore furthering themselves into association with experimental artists such as the mars volta and the dessert rock of josh homme. and cynic are more like fusion than straight ahead metal and again do not follow the metal stereotypes as they step outside the box.

If this threads been reported and still isn't closed, I'm going to say something.

Mastodon are progressive metal. Their earlier works, ie, Remiission and Call of the Mastodon, were sludge metal.

Josh Homme in Kyuss was stoner rock. Along with Sleep, they started the stoner rock sound on the west coast.

How are they associated with Mars Volta? That makes no sense whatsoever. They're modern prog-rock with some experimental stuff thrown in.

They don't follow metal stereotypes as they step outside the box? Does that mean that Opeth, Dream Theater or any other Prog-Metal band aren't Metal?

You're so full of ****. I seriously hope you fall of the face of the earth. You spout nothing more than useless drivel and you're opinions make no sense at all.

Go listen to Demi Lovato and stfu.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Last edited by mer_der_noms at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by mer_der_noms
If this threads been reported and still isn't closed, I'm going to say something.

Mastodon are progressive metal. Their earlier works, ie, Remiission and Call of the Mastodon, were sludge metal.

Josh Homme in Kyuss was stoner rock. Along with Sleep, they started the stoner rock sound on the west coast.

How are they associated with Mars Volta? That makes no sense whatsoever. They're modern prog-rock with some experimental stuff thrown in.

They don't follow metal stereotypes as they step outside the box? Does that mean that Opeth, Dream Theater or any other Prog-Metal band aren't Metal?

You're so full of ****. I seriously hope you fall of the face of the earth. You spout nothing more than useless drivel and you're opinions make no sense at all.

Go listen to Demi Lovato and stfu.

err, Cedric and Ikey from the The Mars Volta contributed to Blood Mountain, on their final and in my opinion, most powerful songs.
Quote by ulique

at no point did i say i did not enjoy metal music, go look at my favourite artists, you will see many metal artists there.

i just don't understand the sheepish behaviour that goes along with listening to metal music, that's what i want to understand. because the culture of it so anti-conformity and flames "emo" and "scenekids" for their ways, but if someone else looked at the metal community it's the same thing! except instead of X's on their hands they have beer and instead of their hair going to one side it covers their whole face. instead of tight jeans it's camo's. instead of converse it's boots.

it's the same.

you only live once, as far as we know. why not be unique?

Yes, but what is your point? All you've done is ramble aimlessly and state the obvious. That is not worthy of a thread.

Quote by ulique
mastodon are hardly metal

Seeing as he was referring to the Leviathan album, I have to say WTF? Leviathan is 'barely metal'? Quit with your backwards justifications.

Had he been talking about Mastodon in general you could have pointed to the last album or two and made your point, but seeing as he was clearly referring specifically to leviathan you shouldn't have bothered. A pointer for the future, take it on board.
Last edited by mortiis999 at Aug 31, 2009,
saw this in related vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rai9SiBRv50&feature=related lol
what a very unfortunate looking child
Edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK1ig0BsS1I&feature=related haha best resoponse ever
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Last edited by sound-byte at Aug 31, 2009,
There are a lot of ignorant, elitist metalheads, but it's stupid to assume all metalheads are like that. Bring the subject up in here, and everyone will brag about how diverse their tastes are.

In fact, there are ignorant twats in every subculture and genre of music. The things you mentioned have nothing to do with metal, they are symptoms of twatdom.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by sound-byte
saw this in related vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rai9SiBRv50&feature=related lol
what a very unfortunate looking child
Edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK1ig0BsS1I&feature=related haha best resoponse ever

You've never seen Pruane? That response sucks
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by ulique
err, Cedric and Ikey from the The Mars Volta contributed to Blood Mountain, on their final and in my opinion, most powerful songs.

What difference does it make? So Mars Volta "contributed" to a few Mastodon songs. That doesn't mean Mastodon are leaning more towards Mars Volta. Mars Volta are just Mastodon fans obviously.

You're arguments have no substance so stop trying to make it sound like you're right and know what you're talking about.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
To avoid the unholy wrath of our one true god, Dyer's, I shall simply say:

TS, you are confused, and being narrowmind...about narrowmindedness and your obviously superior culture, and art. Some people are...y'know, either not musicians or simply like music.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Every genre of music suffers from elitism in some sectors of the fandom. In fact, everything suffers from elitists, from film to art to sports. While I would agree that a glut of elitism in anything is not good for its overall health, metal is certainly not experiencing any extreme amount. Even in the realms of music I think that indie, classical and jazz all are quite notorious for elitism, yet you've said nothing about them (but of course I believe that no genre has ever really been in danger of killing music because of elitism, or whatever point it is you're trying to make).

And I've seen everyone rail on scenekids and emos. That is inarguably not metal exclusive.
Quote by ulique

Hmm, so by that logic, Blut Aus Nord, Arcturus, Negura Bunget, Enslaved, Insomnium, and Opeth also arent metal, because they step outside of the box and experiment, right?
Quote by mer_der_noms
What difference does it make? So Mars Volta "contributed" to a few Mastodon songs. That doesn't mean Mastodon are leaning more towards Mars Volta. Mars Volta are just Mastodon fans obviously.

You're arguments have no substance so stop trying to make it sound like you're right and know what you're talking about.

I'm just gonna point out that Mastodon are massive fans of Volta, in the blood mountain DVD, Troy is clearly wearing a Volta shirt.
Quote by Monolith295
You've never seen Pruane? That response sucks

Have any of you seen his newest few videos? He's started hanging out with 8 year old skater kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifP9EjzsumQ&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2iKUV7VDYA&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ijgkdRH6k&feature=channel_page
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
those are the most retarded kids I've ever seen.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus