This is what I'm thinking to get. I currently have a Mesa Express 5:25 and there's not enough dist, which is why I'm changing.
I still need a nice clean setting because I might be joining jazz team as well as a christian band, but I like playing hard rock, so if anyone has tried this amp/owns it, tell me what you think of it
Also, if there are other recommendations, please say. Price: $400-900
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
It has less gain than the Express, so it'd probably work against you...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Are you sure it doesn't have enough gain? Unless your playing Norwegain Black metal, you might to tweak the EQ on the amp more.
I've heard the Egnater has a pretty good amount of gain on tap, but no way does it have more then the Express.
Last edited by thrasher. at Aug 30, 2009,
It doesn't have a lot of gain but it has (more than) enough for me, and I play rock.
and the Egnater is bad to the ass, love it.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
as the leading authority of the Rebel on this forum (), i'd say that if you want more gain, just buy an OD or a boost for your Mesa. I love my rebel, but it can't touch a Mesa in terms of gain.

it does have really nice cleans, though. but if you're looking for a nice clean amp, i'd look for a used Fender Deluxe Reberb and get a nice OD.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I hate to hijack this thread, but is the American/British tube mix actually work, or is it more gimmicky?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
It's a gimmick. I noticed very little difference even with the master cranked which should accentuate the characteristics of the power tubes. 6v6s and EL84s are both quite aggressive tubes, not to mention the circuit of the amp has more to do with it's tone than what kind of tubes it uses. It's be an awesome amp if they dumped the tube mix, the power scaling (which blows) and charged about 350 for the head. As it is I find it to be a rather overpriced amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
It's a gimmick. I noticed very little difference even with the master cranked which should accentuate the characteristics of the power tubes. 6v6s and EL84s are both quite aggressive tubes, not to mention the circuit of the amp has more to do with it's tone than what kind of tubes it uses. It's be an awesome amp if they dumped the tube mix, the power scaling (which blows) and charged about 350 for the head. As it is I find it to be a rather overpriced amp.

Sums up my thoughts.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
That's not to say it's a bad sounding amp, I'm just unwilling to pay for features that I feel don't work.
Quote by Kevin Saale

there is a difference. the power scaling isn't supposed to be an attenuator like everyone thinks, it's just another tone adjuster. it just messes with the dynamics of the tubes and the relation of the Master/Gain knobs.

i think they were just trying to figure out what to call it, and they decided to call it watts
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Kevin Saale
That's not to say it's a bad sounding amp, I'm just unwilling to pay for features that I feel don't work.

That's what I got when reading your post, and that's pretty much what I'd say. It's a good amp, just a bit overpriced and overhyped.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Jhachey22
there is a difference. the power scaling isn't supposed to be an attenuator like everyone thinks, it's just another tone adjuster. it just messes with the dynamics of the tubes and the relation of the Master/Gain knobs.

i think they were just trying to figure out what to call it, and they decided to call it watts

I know what power scaling is. My problem is that the amp is not significantly quieter at 1 watt opposed to 20 watts. 1 watt should be 13 dbs quieter than 20 (or three dbs quieter than half as loud) but I did not notice that much of a volume difference. I did notice that the amp didn't sound as good at 1 watt opposed to 20. This leads me to believe that the power scaling does not work as advertised. Or possibly the amp is not producing 20 watts to begin with. Who knows.