Page 1 of 2
I remember listening to my favorite music way back before I played guitar. Everything sounded so rich, everything was so moving, I just wanted to get up and dance or sing or be involved somehow.

I picked up a guitar and started learning my favorite song at the time, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, and after I was able to play it fully, I went back and listened to it, and it sounded different. The feeling was stripped out of it, like I uncovered a secret you're not supposed to know. It was just guitars and singing and drums for a while until I learned how to listen the right way again.

tl;dr: learning a song on guitar makes the song less enjoyable to listen to?

So do any of you experience this same phenominon? does learning a song on guitar change the way you hear the song? Does it enhance it? Just curious.
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
Not to me. It probably enhances it in my opinion.
"Breasts the size of watermelons" is what Moses said to the Egyptians
Yeah, that happens when you listen to ****ty music.
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful.
Yes but thats more to do with getting older than anything. Up until age 18/19 you think the world is magical and mysterious then it becomes more clear and obvious.
nope i find it more enjoyable... , like if you get tabs and been playing it wrong you can pick up the notes and go back and find the right notes,

also when im writing music i look at the structures and the riffs and break them down then write riffs in the same style

it might just be youve played it (to listen and play along) soo much your ears need a rest from it for a bit, then after youll love it again

Edit:

it also makes me want to practice more to get it note perfect.. im like that tho i need to get everything just perfert or im not satisfied(sp?)
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Aug 30, 2009,
i think it enhances it also. it makes me appreciate the time and effort that was put into it.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Quote by BLToast
Yeah, that happens when you listen to ****ty music.

Coheed = NOT ****ty music. seriously
i always come to UG for a tab, but get sucked into the pit

[SoWrongItsMatt]Have you tried, "Sex on fire?"

[[x]Huffy[x]]Either way I'm gonna be too stoned to care.

what he said.^

i love qotsa

mymusic
enjoy it.
Quote by kakos
nope i find it more enjoyable... , like if you get tabs and been playing it wrong you can pick up the notes and go back and find the right notes,

also when im writing music i look at the structures and the riffs and break them down then write riffs in the same style

it might just be youve played it (to listen and play along) soo much your ears need a rest from it for a bit, then after youll love it again

this
Quote by mow_mow
Coheed = NOT ****ty music. seriously

Music is semi-good, vocals are horrid.

Complete. ****e.
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful.
Its makes you listen to the music more and I love it. I love listening to the drums, then he guitar, then the bass. Before it was like "......is the chorus coming up?"
I see how that could happen to you. I haven't listened to Little Wing since I learned it a few months ago. I sort of forgot about it. Now i'm afraid to listen to it....
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
nawh man.
everything changes man.
you've just moved on.
it'll come back to you though.

music is constant, bud.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

well i guess it depends. if you like a song and then you learn it on guitar and its really hard you might appreciate the song more because of the skill it takes to play it and vice versa.
i have actually avoided trying to learn some of my favorite songs because they do seem to lose their feeling and meaning.
Sometimes if I know the song on my Bass, it feels like a song I learnt and meant to play than to listen to like a real band and the song kind of just disappears from your mind... but if I stop it is amazing again.
This will start a RIOT! in me
the solution: shuffle mode

a long time ago i loved Nirvana, every B-side, i knew all the words. i haven't listened to Nirvana in years, but every so often a song will come on shuffle and the memories come flooding back. i think discovering music is awesome, which is what made ages 10-12 amazing, cuz all these bands at once, i didnt know what to do! the earliest band i have memories of is the Beatles, cuz my parents played the records to put me to sleep instead of lullabies. so like, i dont go out and listen to the Beatles, but when a song comes on, i notice its beauty this way. im sure in 10 years ill pick up a Gorillaz or Killers disk and be like, yup, i remember this.
try writing your own music to make music interesting again.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
I can't listen to Vai's FTLOG anymore after working on it, and the first time I heard it i was like wow.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 30, 2009,
YES!

Whenever I learn a song that I like it becomes boring and uninteresting because I know exactly whats going on between the instruments!

Goddamit I never knew that other people felt this way, I love you TS!
Not true for me. Learning "Divinations" from Mastodon mad the song even better. I love listening to a song and knowing that I could play along with it.
u might think it's lost its magic but you just listen to it differently because you understand it now, and also lets you see the skill it took to play it if any
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by TSmitty6
the solution: shuffle mode

a long time ago i loved Nirvana, every B-side, i knew all the words. i haven't listened to Nirvana in years, but every so often a song will come on shuffle and the memories come flooding back. i think discovering music is awesome, which is what made ages 10-12 amazing, cuz all these bands at once, i didnt know what to do! the earliest band i have memories of is the Beatles, cuz my parents played the records to put me to sleep instead of lullabies. so like, i dont go out and listen to the Beatles, but when a song comes on, i notice its beauty this way. im sure in 10 years ill pick up a Gorillaz or Killers disk and be like, yup, i remember this.

I totally agree. I just recently started to use shuffle, and that made me listen to some stuff that I used to listen a while ago, and it just makes me think " hell yeah this is awesome. Why haven't I listened to that in a while ? "
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
nooo. When I learn a song, I am able to look at it and go "damn that sounds cool!" and then "And I can play it "
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
YES!

Whenever I learn a song that I like it becomes boring and uninteresting because I know exactly whats going on between the instruments!

Goddamit I never knew that other people felt this way, I love you TS!

yay! A fellow... oh we'll have to make a word up for this phenominon. What should we call it?

It looks like the majority of people don't have this problem. And now that I think about it, it doesn't happen for every song.

Like Sidewinder. Learned that and the solos recently, and it still sounds amazing. Better even. I guess sometimes it just depends on the song. (and no bashing on Avenged Sevenfold, the guitar-work is fun! :p
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
Its good when you listen to a song you don't know how to play. But listening to a song you have played does lose its magic, master of puppets is the biggest example
Quote by SuperKoolKid
yay! A fellow... oh we'll have to make a word up for this phenominon. What should we call it?

It looks like the majority of people don't have this problem. And now that I think about it, it doesn't happen for every song.

Like Sidewinder. Learned that and the solos recently, and it still sounds amazing. Better even. I guess sometimes it just depends on the song. (and no bashing on Avenged Sevenfold, the guitar-work is fun! :p

We will have to discuss this some time.
I agree with what most of the people said here. Somehow it enhances the experience cause you get to know the rhythm of the song and stuff like that. Kinda like experiencing what the song writer felt and thought while he wrote it. I really like these philosophic things behind music / songs, they do make sh't even more interesting and make you feel poetic lol.
but they don't really help you avoiding the fact that your ears get used to something and then you're just sick of it. Like with pretty much everything in the world (maybe except of your girl / boyfriend).
Last edited by polyamorousXX at Aug 31, 2009,
It makes me love the song even more now that I can follow it.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
I feel like when I learn a song and go back to listen to it, you can here more detail and nuances in the song.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Just makes it better to me. Music's always getting better to me. It ages like a fine wine. Put away the albums that feel old or dry to you and come back to them in six months or so.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
No, the other way. Knowing how it works makes it more enjoyable for me. Now if you're talking about how impressive the song is or a "holy shit how did he do that?" kind of feeling, then obviously yes, learning the song will take that away.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Depends. There is a difference to me playing along to a song and actually listening to it. Like Suicide & Redemption, i love playing and listening to it, but there are parts i didnt realise were there when im actually listening to the whole song.
to be completely honest, if your feeling that way, you should try getting high and then listening to some music. It makes it even more magical than you could imagine, and strengthens your emotional tie to it.
For me, this has only happened with guitar solos. I can still listen to songs and feel the same way as before I could play them, but now, I'm not quite as astounded by a simple but powerful solo, like It Doesn't Matter by Crush 40, as I was before I could play it. I can still enjoy them, but now they've lost some of their mystery you could say...
I can understand that, you're just taking the mystery out of a song you like a lot. Just remember how AWESOME it is and play air guitar when you listen to it. That will enhance your song-listening experience through positive physical meta-actionphysis, the antithesis of a;klfwd,.nmwef.sd,vna>WEF;LKASNS;DFLGSG

sorry. my brain outsmarted me!
Page 1 of 2